Poll: PVP or PVE - Which Are You? [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gasket, Nov 28, 2013.

?

What are you, PVP or PVE player? What type?

1. PVP - Consensual - No Looting

39 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. PVP - Consensual - Full Looting

63 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. PVP - Consensual Or Not - No Looting

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. PVP - Consensual Or Not - Full Looting

149 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. PVE - Only - No Looting

40 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. PVE - Only - Full Looting

28 vote(s)
    8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Possible, but unlikely. I think I offer a less risky approach. Measure support for Open PvP following release, and if support is strong, Open PvP can be enhanced, possibly to include full loot as an option. The risk is too great otherwise, and REALLY too great to consider making full loot mandatory.

2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What purpose does full loot serve? Does SotA have designs in play that serve that purpose?

Item affinity, and serialization makes full loot more of an impact than UO, both to the player and to the code.

If full loot rewards the looter (notice I didn't say winner) and punishes the loser is there a system that does this better. Item decay will work for the punishment and it will work for affinity/serialization. Rewards for the winner can be handled in a number of ways.

Full loot isn't the best option and it's not desired by X%(insert your prefer %, doesn't matter to me) of the player base. It's not good database wise either.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

As I mentioned at length above, full loot serves a tactical/strategic purpose even with affinity and serialization. Since Sota supports guild wars, full loot would serve also support that game design, which is why I support full loot as an option for both guild wars, and Open PvP. It serves a necessary purpose.

It remains to be seen if that purpose will be served in game.

3devious likes this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My point is it doesn't have to be full loot to provide a means of tactics. There are other ways do to just about anything. In this case, full loot, is one of the designs that leads to segregation of the community.

Segregation of the community IMO is something the dev team is actively trying to prevent. If not, then a full PvP server option would be available.

PrimeRib and Fred Din like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

If there are other means, I have yet to see them suggested as an official SotA game design. Many suggestions on the forums, not designs yet in place.

In the absence of word from Portalarium, options still need to be considered. We'll see if the issue is properly addressed during testing.

6. haplodocus

haplodocus Avatar

Full loot is Realisitc overall !!
    Full loot can easily be handle depends on game economics , ( basic stuff , easy to get).
    That's all folks.

7. Owain

Owain Avatar

Guild wars is already a segregation of the community. If there are few guild wars (and in my experience, guild wars were rare in UO), then providing full loot to a feature already underused would not be useful. If guild wars are prominent, then adding the feature might be an welcome addition.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

How is guild wars any more of a segregation than a guild itself?

Guild war = dueling on a group level.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

Full loot might be realistic, but if it's unpopular among potential customers, it would be counter productive. There are situations where I would find it welcome, but I don't think it should be universally applied unless it can be demonstrated clearly that it would be a popular feature. I think that will have to wait for full release to see how strong the support for Open PvP is in SotA.

10. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

But what if the reason for guild wars not being prominent is the lack of a good loot system?

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

This isnt the entire gaming industry voting.

I am sure there are more representatives of full loot here then in the overall gaming industry.

Many old UO players follow this game and that is why you cant compare a SotA poll with the entire gaming industry.

It is also completely irrelevant how the entire gaming industry see on full loot.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Guilds are formed for many reasons; most of them have nothing to do with PvP. A guild war is a step up on the PvP spectrum. One step above arena fights, but one step below Open PvP. Each step along the spectrum serves to segregate the population. Pretty much everyone supports PvE. Fewer will want to participate in duels. Fewer still perhaps in arena matches, and so on down the line. Depending on the total number of SotA players, those involved in PvP may be numerous, but probably not as numerous at the sum total of players.

It all depends on the numbers. If many guilds participate in guild wars, then many options can be offered. If not many guilds participate, development effort should be directed elsewhere.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

You and Owain claim it is useless and what do you have to back that statement with?

Nothing.

And why do you compare SotA with the entire gaming industry?

What we discuss here is what the SotA pledgers prefer and it is definetly full loot in this poll.

14. Ara

Ara Avatar

Full loot seem to be the most popular vote.

That tell me that not going with full loot will make this game less successful.

15. Owain

Owain Avatar

Logically, I think this falls under the category of begging the question.

There is a reason why logical fallacies are considered fallacious.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

Your invalid innumerate poll is invalid.

Going with full loot will make this game less successful, unless it is limited to areas where support for the feature is strong. Your innumerate poll doesn't demonstrate the necessary support. I have offered a method by which support for the feature can be demonstrated. You offer an innumerate poll.

I think the devs remain unconvinced, which is all that matters at the moment.

17. cariac

cariac Avatar

The closest to the full loot please.

18. Ara

Ara Avatar

My guild wont play SotA without risk vs reward and consequences.

PvP also need to be based on player skill and not randomness and luck.

So it seem B@D wont be in this game.

And wether PvP will be successful or not depends on what features developers put into the game. Full loot? Risk vs reward? Consequences? Player skill needed?

Without a good combat and PvP system then i believe it will fail. That doesnt say there wasnt an interest for a good PvP game like old UO though.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

I dont believe you like full loot.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sorry to see you go, then. The game would be better with you and B@D than without, but that is your choice, and the choice of your organization.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.