Relationships and sex in SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Aug 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. King Dane

King Dane Avatar

She was being facetious.

Caliya likes this.
  2. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Its not essential, its not even necessary. Hell you can build a game which has no combat let alone no PvP. The vast majority of games have no PvP at all

Sir Cabirus, Lord Baldrith and Caliya like this.
  3. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

That's true. they don't need combat in a game. However in this game they do need combat. Also in this game they are going to have PvP, and since they do they also have the added bonus of hundreds upon hundreds of hours of end game content. "the PvPing".

It's really quite simple. After they balance out the combat system and the skills. All they do is allow the players to fight one another, and the players create their own end game content. Each fight totally unique.

**So you replied to my post, but are you now ready to explain how you think sexual content in this game is going to be some how easier for them to develop and maintain than PvP?**

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  4. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

Bath Houses are VERY Ultima 7 and who doesn't like Ultima 7?!?!? :p

5. High Baron Asguard

Are people still playing the Sims? ESPECIALLY women.

RG SPECIFICALLY stated when this game was announced that its purpose was to get away from the mold that RPG means free to role play different types of killer and give players the freedom to role play whatever they want, be it skipping through the daisies, making art works, crafting, or whatever else people wanted to do. One of his key points was that you could play this game forever and NEVER engage in combat if you wanted to.

Sir Cabirus and Caliya like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

1: The Sims is not what people are asking for.
    2: Adding sex animations and such is NOT required to achieve RG's goals.

7. Vendetta Beretta

Vendetta Beretta Avatar

Those could be words taken out of context. It might lead to you getting upset over the progress of the game. Also words taken out of context can change the intention of the one who spoke the words. For example did he just finish talking about farming and crafting when he said that statement?

It seems to me that it might be very difficult to avoid combat if you travel out side the towns. MABYE just maybe those words in actual context might reveal a more obvious revelation, "in MMOs these days characters must be a combatant in order to progress in the game" ... if he said those words by chance... just maybe... maybe he was trying to say I don't want combat to be the only means for a person to be able to progress in the game. So a person could level up as a crafter because they are crafting, instead of the WoW crafting which required the character to level up as a combatant in order to take on a secondary profession of crafting.... What do you think? ... do you think that was what he meant?

Jynx likes this.
  8. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

For you maybe.

Funny, because that's what I would've said about sex. :cool:

9. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

One of my favorite videos in viewing how someone played a game was a pacifist in Skyrim.

He never killed anything directly. Either he would train an NPC on the monster, or some other tactic.

I personally thought it was quite clever! Avoiding PvM in games like this could be much more of a challenge.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except if they actually make animations for it.. which you are then stuck with with absolutely no variety. Would end up being the same experience every time. RP is better. No built-in limitations.

Dame Lori and crossbowsoda like this.
  11. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

(Thinking of puns)

12. High Baron Asguard

Except its not what he said or meant. He was quiet specific that NON COMBAT type players should be able to play this game too, that if you wanted to spend your days writing books in game or making art or putting on plays or playing house you could do so. This isn't about whether you would be able to win the game or even leave town playing this way, that's irreverent. The point was that you could do it and relationships are just as important a game mechanic for a lot of people (if not more so) than PvP will ever be. PvP is a waste of resources in my opinion, its not fun, it panders to the immature people who are only having fun when they are harassing other players (see the innumerable threads on non consensual PvP) and it will raise the rating to R18+ if its implemented the way people want.

Do you think the devs should follow my opinion on this and remove PvP from the game just because I don't find it a worth while mechanic?
    No? well the same goes for your opinion, just because you don't care about this kind of game play is completely irrlivent too

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Relationships between live players are NOT a game mechanic.

And sex animations can't possibly pander to immature people?

To be clear.. I'm not suggesting people who RP sex are immature.. it's two separate issues really. Just as PvP in of itself is not a sign a immaturity. That just isn't a fair statement to make. Not ALL PvPers are out to harass soft targets.

Dane and Dame Lori like this.
  14. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I don't think you can compare removing something that was advertised and planned from day 1 to creating a whole new feature that was never suggested by the dev team as being something on their radar for this game.

15. smack

smack Avatar

As far as how an in-game mechanic for Marriages would go, it could be really simple. How about:

Open Secure Trade Window
    Select the "Marry Me" checkbox (both people must check this)
    Select the "Append Spouse's Last Name" sub-checkbox (perhaps only one person can select this?)
    Sign your name

Boom, you're both married and your spouse's last name is now appended to yours via some name modifier so it clearly shows you're married (if you've opted to show your last name to others).

And I'm assuming we're all talking about only being able to marry one person at a time. And if you re-marry someone, it will delete that "relationship" from your previous spouse and send a system message to that person he/she was just divorced. How impersonal though, getting notified of divorce via a system message. :p

They can monetize this and charge a fee for the marriages. And of course, give 50% of your wealth for divorces :rolleyes:

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would imagine a LITTLE more effort than that.. such as getting wedding rings and going to a marriage office or something.

Hornpipe and crossbowsoda like this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah, those would be great to have too. I simply tried to keep the initial thoughts on it as low cost as possible, such that it re-uses existing systems so that no new content or entire new systems be required. We can definitely expand on this over time.

And speaking of wedding rings...we know that there might be inventory slots of these in the future. What if you got married and it forced you to wear the ring and took up a slot? I mean that would really show a commitment since you might be sacrificing that Ring of Orcslayer +5 to wear your wedding ring instead. And you can't take it off unless you divorce the person?

Marrying / divorcing might already incur taxes/fees but perhaps repeatedly doing so might even impact virtue?

18. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Smack is the man. Integration of virtues into such things as marriage and divorce is a pretty nice idea. Captain Jack likes the sound of that!

crossbowsoda and smack like this.
  19. Night Owl

Night Owl Avatar

On the topic of an official relationship, as others have stated, I see this likely to happen based on the wedding outfits and various comments made by the dev's and the kickstarter. I would think it's just a matter of time, maybe not upon go-live, but certainly at some point. I recall many UO weddings and really enjoyed how groups, guilds, or individuals would build decorations, put out food, and role play. Some would go on a honeymoon, own a house together, etc... It was only limited by your imagination (generally speaking). :)

As far as any "benefits", my opinion is that there should be no additional benefits over what a guild or other organized group might gain. It's too early to tell what, if any benefits there will be for guilds. There should be similar costs/requirements scaled down to the number of individuals forming this bond. If guilds have tax penalties, then this should also apply to a marriage or bond.

On the sex topic, my opinion is that this should not be included in the form of an animation, black screen, etc... As many have stated, RG is creating an environment to promote RP. They have hot tubs, beds, candles, food, etc. and Avatars Radio (make a request or shout out for your partner or some other mood making tune of your liking). Let's use our imagination and Role Play, we have everything leading up to the act. :) If any dev time is used, I'd rather it be on creating more items in-game to further enable various role playing opportunities to the broader audience rather than a black screen, sex animations, etc...

Also to be clear, I'm just stating my opinion and not getting into any ratings, cannibalism, or other debate with anyone. In my opinion, I just don't think SotA needs to have a sex specific element / mechanic to it and letting the Dev's know my opinion in this thread. Also, don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against sex, I love sex and think sex is great. :) I just don't see the point of needing animations and such in SotA.

I do appreciate topics like these coming up, whether I agree or disagree. I appreciate the OP starting this so that everyone can weigh in on our thoughts in the event the topic comes up during any of the Portalarium design sessions.

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I really enjoyed playing Dishonored without killing anyone.

Caliya likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.