1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Darkstarr's Release 9 Impressions + Release 10 Plan

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Aug 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Thats what i was thinking you could find yourself researching new combinations and it could even lead to a spellcrafting type skill or tradeskill. I mean it would make a lot of the mundane aspects of being a caster way more fun and add depth and variety

Like mix death and fire and u have fire based leeach and dot spell. This would have to be a high tier gm mage type ability(or at least for the more powerful combos) else it would be op or nerfed to crap

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  2. Veylen The AenigmA

And there are too many isms already i hope they change it. Kindof annoying to me

3. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

All spell should requier REAGENTS.

4. Veylen The AenigmA

Also a lot of ppl are turned off by reagent requiremenss it would be less tedious and more fun and better accepted by those that dislike reagents if they had a percent chance to not use a reagent it could be a skill. Also there needs to be soells withiut reagent reqs some spells are weak eniugh to not warrant reagent use.

You could habe it both ways to balance. Have those that requre reagents to have a % chance to not use reagents and then have a % chance for spells that dont require reagents to consume reagents. Sounds like good compromise but kindof runs the risk of being overly complex

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

What about gypsey magic or ritual magic? Stuff that can be used by mages that isn't necessarily combat magic at all.

Gypsies can read your palm and use crystal balls to see things from a distance or locate somebody. So why can't there be a spell to view your virtue level or a spell to locate a player you have met before, or maybe even teleportation magic could be found through discovery.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord and Kether like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah. Either use reagents or don't. If reagents have magical properties then how can we expect a spell to function properly without the reagents. It's like shooting a gun without gunpowder

Abydos likes this.
  7. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Omnipotence... that is marketing!

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's what I meant.

9. stile

stile Avatar

By laying down and not moving a headache wont hurt as much.. Taking aspirin will help a lot more though. Taking morphine will completely make it go away.

RPG games often have spells that can be cast without regs.. Simple utility spells aka cantrips. Regs improve the potency or success.. Other spells just might not work without period.

Maybe i can levitate a rock off the ground that is 2oz by will alone.. But by using earth magic and things reagents to ritualize and power the spell i can lift a 10lb rock.

I can throw an arrow, but it wont do much. Using a bow makes it do more .

I can roll a car down hill, but add gasoline and i can make it go a lot faster.

There are many reasons why it can make sense to not always use a reagent. Or that by using one you get better results.

Maybe i cant shoot a gun without gun powder but i can still throw the gun and do SOMETHING with it.

It does not have to be an all or nothing thing.

In d&d spells have three aspects. Verbal, material, and movement.

A spell might need all 3.. You have to wave your hands, chant, and eat a bug all 3. Or maybe a spell used one of those things.

Magic doesn't have to be an all or nothing. I could easily see very simple non combat spells not needing regs. Or spells working without regs but not doing as much.

To put it in comparable terms.. The guy with a sword that is down to 20 durability can still do damage, just not as much as at 100%. The same with the guy with a bow. The mage should be able to still do something as the reg supplies run lower, just not as effectively as in comparison that is their durability.

My thought anyway. Although to be honest im not really to concerned about it. If its all regs all the time, im ok with that... I just don't think that on principle it has to be all or nothing.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Oh yeah i forgot about cantrips. Although would firearrow be a cantrip? Seems a little potent.

Time Lord and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
  11. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

When I play as an archer, I don't want to be required to always carry arrows. Same goes for swordsmanship. I don't want to be required to use a sword to cut my foe. I just want to be able to swing my arm so quickly that the friction between my hand and the air causes severe burns and lacerations to my foe. Totally realize that having actual arrows, and an actual sword would do more damage, but what about those times I don't have arrows or a sword? What if my bow breaks? Shouldn't I still be able to `use` my appropriate trained skill?? I'm hoping for a game experience similar to Progress Quest. Thanks!!

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Can necromancy get a horcrux ritual to create a self ressurection spell? LoL it is sort of the opposite of resurrection.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

They still have to decide whether a zero durability sword breaks or still does damage :>

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  14. Gubbles

Gubbles Avatar

I heard all weapons at zero durability have a magical property where they all turn into foam water noodles, and then you and those around you are transported to the nearest hot tub party.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Magic hot tubs enchanted with a mix of water magic and fire magic, and a little bit of chaos magic to spice things up.

Time Lord, Isaiah [MGT] and Tarsin like this.
  16. stile

stile Avatar

Not the full damage one.. But whose to say it couldn't be casted as one as something similar to a cantrip but that does much less?

I want regs in game :)

But wether it should be 100% all the time, or variations and such i don't know.

In terms of RP I feel it can be justified either way.

So it becomes more of a game balance thing.. And theres so many variables to consider... Ill trust the devs to come up with the right call on it :)

Im not against all regs.. Just the stance it has to be, if you see what i mean :)

Its really a tough subject. It might be simpler for them to go all regs all the time, vs. Trying to figure out variances in levels of ability when you use them vs. When you dont. Then just make it so the higher the level of the spell the more it takes? Probably the easier wag to go.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  17. Veylen The AenigmA

I like it. Id also expect occult magic. More utility type spells like allowing u to carry more stuff. Could give one thats like a double jump so it has some platform elements. The only limit is ones creativity and the engines capabilities.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  18. stile

stile Avatar

Why not both? I mean if i had a broken sword, i can still stab you with the half im holding.. But its going to be a lot harder to hit you, parry, and it wont do as much damage.

Would even be cool if the graphics reflected that. In combat my sword shatters and im suddenly fighting with a broken sword. That would be cool.. Although i know, *sighs* not for episode 1 *winks*

19. Veylen The AenigmA

I agree you shouldnft have to lose your primary weapon and be forced to waste time repairing. Unless you can field repair which would be a good blacksmith ability.

Forrester/ fletcher could make arrows in the field too. It is lame that it takes up two slots to use a bow its barely more powerful than wands.

But they need item breakage to keep the economy balanced imo.

20. Veylen The AenigmA

Couldnt have said it better myself. Its human nature to want simple black and white absolutes it is less to worry about. Ps

Sir teckel i loved your stuff on avatars radio. U have a very good radio voice and its soothing yet animated.

mbomber and Sir Stile Teckel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.