Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Who hates the combat system?

Discussion in 'Release 9 Feedback' started by Asclepius, Aug 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadoweaver

Shadoweaver Avatar

I did not play R8 so I can not compare. However I have to say my first annoyance is the extremely limited time I have had to try to get used to this new system. I really wish single player was available between releases so I could absorb and get used to these changes. That being said, I obviously far from mastered the new combat system and did not enjoy the limited time I had playing with it. As others have said It seemed ranged skills worked quite well with the cards but any kind of melee was random and for the most part unusable. I am in Japan so I never PVP'd with anyone as the areas were empty when I was there probably due to time zones but I did fight my share of monsters.

I found the cards so clumsy. You have to chase your opponent, your sword randomly swings when in range, all the while trying to keep an eye on him with your mouse and then also keeping an eye on what cards come up and where at the bottom of the screen to then hot key into.

I found it all very disenchanting and not fun. I much prefer controlling my sword swings etc with the mouse, timing things myself. I was under the impression that basic combat would be manual and that special focus attacks would be then based on the cards. I do not see why things could not work that way. I really disliked how offensive and defensive spells/potions were mixed and would show up randomly. Heal is #1 then #5 then #3. Would it be possible to have the ability to hotkey potions or bandages separately?

I found switching weapons during combat cumbersome. Perhaps there is an easier way than drag and drop that I am not aware of.

To summarize. I am not sure what is alpha and what is my lack of understanding. I would really like more in game time (OFFLINE?) to try to sort things out. I do not hate the idea of having cards but hate the idea of everything being SO random. I really felt like my input was almost useless.

Joviex, AdamZax and Kal_Alyenare like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thats exactly what I've been trying to say, in nicer words, thanks.

We've made suggestions to fix it all...

AdamZax and Time Lord like this.
  3. Skwal

Skwal Avatar

Couldn't agree more!

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  4. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

lol I forgot why I wanted to tell my pledging story with SotA.

So I tought King Gariott would make a social game to amass funds, then make this so to me it wasn't until a few years...

But someone very kind who is creator of a ultima shard sent me an e-mail telling me hey look at this kickstarter, right when it was ending... so thats when I made a budget and put as much as I could into this game. I was taken by surprise and didn't know we had such a long time to upgrade pledges.

So yea I eat oats and rice alot, laugh away :)

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I gave up cars 3+1/2 years ago. I had an electric motorcycle for about 2 years and then moved to a place where I'll never have to drive again (though I do miss the electric motorcycle!)...
    There's just something about riding an electric motorcycle around a quiet lake in the middle of the night listening to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon with the headlights off :p

But :rolleyes: that is sort of the same situation we have here, we get glimmers of what is to come yet the road ahead is not always lit but the Moon's light upon the lake beckons us to answer it's reflective calling to the depths of our imagination.
    Sorry to hear about the car Ahuaeynjgkxs :(
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Like you mentioned, this combat system reveals the unpredictability of combat, but you are still quite efficient.

So it may or may not be exactly what Lord British was thinking when he mentioned the the fencing scenario. Either way it evolved into a great combat system. So Lord British's vision may have been just that... visionary. Creative ideas can morph and materialize in any form. You just gotta be flexible with a good idea, because creativity isn't limited by an original idea or interpretation.

Before R8 I thought this system wasn't going to work as designed, but I'm convinced it is not only fun, but it is superior and I don't even want to use another system anymore.

Those who complain this is like MTG and that's not what I heard in Kickstarter when Lord British discussed this concept. Well he did discuss the concept. The implementation materialized through his dev team, and the end result is quite good, and they still have a static tool bar for those who don't want to use it.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Oh yes time lord I'm all for using my imagination and as Isaiah seems to really insist on its to simulate the unpredictibility.

But then show me some REAL stuff going on, not a rehash of my own skills and the deck I had to "calculate" to be "unpredictable" without taking too much risks of missing what I need.

AS IF combat realism had anything to do with this... its BACKWARDS :p

I really need to go to work now...

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Scolari79

Scolari79 Avatar

I think changing how cards are dealt might help. If an attack card is dealt send it to Hotbar slot 1-3, defensive cards to 4-5, and consumables to 6.

That way I know if I see something in 1-3 it will be an attack. It might help with constantly having to look down to the hotbar.

9. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Maybe not by number but by position. Attack glyphs, Defensive glyphs, Utility Glyphs, Potions/items, Slugs. They could appear on that order and move other glyphs to the side :p.

docdoom77 and Joviex like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

So all glyphs including slugs get their own location? seems like there might be a problem with this.

Time Lord and Miracle Dragon like this.
  11. Bambi Alyenare

Bambi Alyenare Avatar

I tried it again this evening as the server was open for Dev+ I made sure there were no slugs in my base deck, but I still have to contend with 5 of them due to my plate armor. That means a full deck still gives me, a melee character in plate, a 20% change for a slug.

In actual play that would *often* mean a hotkey bar full of nothing but slugs. I lock a healing potion in the first slot, have to, to even have a chance to survive and a focus potion in the last slot because focus is vanishing at an alarming rate, likely because I'm wasting it on skills that were dealt that I'd rather NOT use but when that's my only choice it's better to trigger *anything* positive instead of just discarding it.

I still don't like this interface for combat.

Even if I got all of the cards I wanted, I'm looking away from the nice 3D graphics of what's going on to concentrate on the comparatively dull things happening on the hotkey bar. I'm not paying any attention to where the other mobs might be or what danger I may be getting into. This is just in single player mode, imagine being in a party, who's going to be able to keep up on how your party-mates are doing? "Sorry, I can't help you at the moment, I'm busy discarding slugs...."

It is just a bad design of an interface system. Sometimes you have to abandon initial programming ideas if they are too big of a step backwards. That is exactly what this deck play interface system is.

AdamZax, Joviex, Shadoweaver and 3 others like this.
  12. Skwal

Skwal Avatar

As much as I actually like the deck system, this is so true. My attention is focused at the bottom of my screen.

13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I have a feeling that will lessen over time. They already said they will be moving away from the 1 second cool down, and they were going to lower some of the slugs for heavy armor.

That 1 second cool down made a huge difference in this release. It was so slight of a change that many people probably didn't even notice it. However, it was noticed, and it was reported, and they said they are going to remove it. So I don't think we don't have to be concerned about this system.

If all it gets are polish updates, and some refinements to help create contrast to help us distinguish between glyphs so we can perform combos easier, then I think over time we will look less and less at the toolbar. Also as we get to recognize the glyph we will also focus less on the bar, it will be like driving. We paid a lot of attention to stuff when we first started driving, but it didn't take long before driving became automatic.

The deck system is fun and it is an advantage.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  14. Margard

Margard Avatar

I had a similar experience with heavy armor but I assume that you have to spend more point on focus to compensate for the slugs - I think the system works - it just needs more testing and iterations

Also - I spent a lot of time going back and forth between character and combat interface - I think its just a matter of hub positioning more than bad game design ...

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Hey look at you being all elite and stuff, you know I appreciate your character so don't think I'm trying to provoke you, I'm rather being critical and bitter because of a certain vehemence in your position.

You know I almost died 3 times in my car on the way to work ? Because people don't freakin bother with the panels and the rules and the speed limits and whatnot. I saw people taking the opportunity of relative anonymity to pass off their frustrations on to other drivers to barely save one second cooldown in the end.

Heh see I'm still kidding, you're just way serious about this man, chill.

The problem is this is a game... we're not supposed to create a score *highway* and go all pent up on our kidneys because someone has a powerful car in the left lane ? My regular abilities I can always summon, I always check signalisation, always double check my dead angles... but noone, simply NOONE in the whole world but old Ahu and you do that Isaiah, ask them. Thats when instead of getting a card system that ADDS to realism by shooting random but powerful "opportunities you don't have normally" and having also realism in the fact that you sometimes have to mouseover when a new glyph appears which shows a power you don't have normally. Then its fine because then you can empower crafters and gatherers too with special abilities to detect ore and what not... you have to do everything that way.

Clearly on the road and in game, giving people cards and panels to randomize their chance of death isn't working. Often amazingly great people will die because of one chiefly agressive who tried to save one second. It's a rather drastic example but true nonetheless. We're developping a game here, so let us create conditions where we are not another pvp focused community that ends up as numbers on the infinite web... with a capture the flag maybe ?

The rest of the issue is, the fact I can click and swing my sword and maybe be lucky when I'm desperate... or maybe I'm mangled and ready to die and I still want to try to drink my last potion, even if there's only 10% chance I manage to drink half of it and spill the rest on the ground.

LET MY AVATAR TRY. That could be an example of a card ; I always know how to drink a potion, but a card could give me more chance at success of getting the whole thing down as I am fighting. The fact that the first person abstraction layer isn't considered here is appaling to me, its as if you guys don't even know MTG and DND.

Don't be so stubborn, it's not a new problem and its not new that we know we don't have the budget for massive server farms that can handle click chivalry style combat, so really how can you stand there in seeming defiance of my whole world view, when I propose the same structure implemented differently.

why have an abstraction layer if you're going to use it only to rethink your old patterns..?.! my solution dosen't only makes it even less stressful, it also allows everyone to relax because they know something new might come up and not because its mandatory to always have your focus on the bar at all times.

Programmer : Maybe queue the manual actions with the card system being in priority this way those that accept its OBVIOUS and PAINFUL disadvantages of the glyph system get rewarded in the fact that even if the opponent clicked faster because he has a faster connection dosen't mean his action will come faster because the server is always expecting equal "push" from both clients.

It's not like I was petitioning for pvp anyways, I'm fed up with this heavy garbled mess. I'm walking out of here, having spelled it out, spilling the beans, feeling empty. Thats cause I really like riddles, I like when people get to guess what I'm talking about and participate in a true forum conversation. I'm not having any now and people are shy to even reply to my messages...

Right now I feel more like in an argument with my roomate, which isn't considered good. He plays Diablo 3 and thinks our game sucks and refuses to play even if I bought him a pledge... and I'm not in good terms with him right now he eats freakin food on the floor and leaves pits and sharp shell fragments right in the alley ; puts peanut butter on the bottom of a pan and cooks with it on a nice ceramic oven that isn't even ours... puts said knife in a relative equilibrium on the sink which means it always pretty much ends up putting butter all over, rolls on my freshly sown grass with his 2000 kg electric bike, brings his mother's cat home, knowing I'm allergic and letting the cat sleep and chill in my room and working space (at least I know I must smell good the cat LOVES my beddings and computer chair) his excuse being that he's in love with that cat more than me and can't resist... goes climb a mountain right before moving or any physically exerting event to make sure he's completely out of it and even disagreeable as he complains about his physical pains...

spare you the worse...

*flies out the door*

Joviex likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

You can play in SPO mode. In the game not driving. Because although it would be nice to have the highway to yourself, but it doesn't work that way.

I missed the rest, do you mind repeating all that? I missed it.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk.

Time Lord and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  17. KingRoland

KingRoland Avatar

what i dislike is cooldown on spells !!! why we get a wow style system. i want to be able to precast a spells (when a spell is precasted you should have 3 sec time to aim at a target ,after that the spell expires or fizzle if the target is out of range or when you missed, istead of people fizzeling randomly to prevent people getting one shoted if someone call a target on them in large battles

add a longer casttime to spells which have area damage . make them so that you have to aim them! this game feels more like wow then ultima

18. Greymarch

Greymarch Avatar

How is focusing on the combat systems abandoning the solo player? You're going to be fighting things in solo as well as with friends/mmo.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Instead of slugs just have no card appear and 20 seconds later it rerolls, saves clicking them off, and you can concentrate on what you do have to use.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I don't really see why potions need to be in a deck. I ran into dev Chris last night on the brave coast and his explanation was tha that it represnted your chance of casting the health or focus potion. My answer was well you don't cast potions you drink them. Didnt quite get a response to that. An suggestion would be to allow potions to be used whenever you wanted to, not just if it pops up on the whack a mole game. Make drinking a potion animated with a chance of interruption if you're trying to guzzle in battle.

Kal_Alyenare, docdoom77 and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.