The Captain Jack Free Housing Initiative of 2014 - No Player House Restrictions

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by CaptainJackSparrow, Dec 19, 2014.

?

Keep Player Housing Free?

1. I own a POT and I intend on having no rules for player decoration.

18.8%
  2. I plan to own a POT and I intend on having no rules for player decoration.

4.2%
  3. I own a POT and I intend on having rules limiting player decoration.

6.3%
  4. I plan to own a POT and I intend on having rules limiting player decoration.

4.2%
  5. I only have a house, but I would not place it in a POT with restrictions.

31.3%
  6. I only have a house, and I would place it in a POT with restrictions.

35.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

I really dont know how to vote either. I am for POT owners being able to make and enforce rules that they see fit. But I dont know if I would actually want to have a house in one. It would really depend on the rules.

I just want them to have the freedom to make rules as they see fit. And me to have the freedom to go somewhere with or without the rules.

Gaelis, Net and Tahru like this.
  2. smack

smack Avatar

I think you'd vote for the last option then. By placing a home in a POT with restrictions, it's implicitly implied that you agree to those restrictions since they should have been communicated to you by the POT owner before he handed over those keys :)

POT owners should be free to set whatever restrictions they want. POTs have the ability to be curated experiences. It's unknown if NPC towns will have any restrictions. I'm thinking certain houses will have lot restrictions but item placement will not.

I favor house placement restrictions where it makes sense (lighthouses along the coast, not in the middle of town). But I favor total freedom for item placement as long as the game allows it.

Sebastion likes this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

No restrictions on décor in Wizards Rest. Let there be freedom and fun!

Jatvardur likes this.
  4. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Here's what I believe: if they don't give much thought to the objects they create, in order to raise funds for the game, if they are making objects that are immersion breaking, then people will break immersion. Oh heck, they'll break immersion anyway, creating objects no one intended. o_O

Hot tubs, Tesla towers, robots, oversized objects of all manner: anhk's, chess boards, hot tubs, fountains. Next maybe they might introduce big screen TVs and aquariums, because we all know it does not matter if the game is no longer somewhat medieval in style. Trash that idea! Let's have a free for all in development, so people can create to their heart's content. Who cares if the towns look like people have visited multiple dumps to collect these (useless) items. :D

Just keep raisin' those funds!

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  5. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Maybe the game isn't medieval like we are all assuming it to be.

6. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ultima has always been a renaissance fair type of medieval setting.

Balloons and automatons was in the earliest series.
    http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Balloon
    http://ultima.wikia.com/wiki/Automatons

In the Ultima lore it is clear that it goes through different eras and that in some it's more advanced and some less so.

You will see with the upcoming Kobold gear and weapons that there will be lots of 18th to 19th century stuff.
    But the bulk is firmly in the late medieval period.

Duke Gréagóir and Sebastion like this.
  7. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Yup and dont forget airplanes, and rockets. :)

8. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

crap. missclicked....

9. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Haha, your description paints a picture of a SotA equivalent to a trailer-trash park/town! :p Which could be kind of interesting if some players chose a caravan to live in instead of a house, and could move from place-to-place, town-to-town. I'm sure there will be plenty of transients in SotA, but this would embody it on a whole different level. Maybe some of these trailer-trash people could join together and move around together gypsy-style. When they arrive somewhere, they partly empty their caravan so they have room to live and sleep in it, strewing the area around them with their junk. >.<

Are there player owned caravan wagons in SotA? If not, then I hereby suggest it as an alternative abode form!

Saosis, Womby, Caliya and 2 others like this.
  10. Net

Net Avatar

I saw some greatly decorated lots, some crazy gravity defying ones and some really ugly. I do not think that rules can help much in this case, how do you define what is nice by rules? Or what is ugly?

I think that option to kick anyone from PoT is good enough and we can heve just one rule. If PoT owner does not liked what you have done to your lot, you will get kicked.

11. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Missed this one before, but what do you have against hot tubs vs medieval immersion? In earth history hot tubs as a concept have existed since at least the Babylonians. Even the word tub itself is medieval. So what gives?

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=tub

Jatvardur, Net and E n v y like this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

[​IMG]

Sean Silverfoot (PAX) and Gaelis like this.
  13. redfish

redfish Avatar

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Should toggle spoiler possibly NSFW on the first one

Net likes this.
  15. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Some of us mentioned wanting those, and many other types of impermanent housing in the game, quite a few months ago. Hey I want a caravan! ;)

16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Typically, "hot tubs" were thermally heated communal bath houses.

Seriously, did you see commoners installing hot tubs? Most of them barely bathed.

I've traveled fairly extensively in Europe, and no where have I seen castles or other historical sites containing hot tubs. Roman or Turkish baths , yes. Hot tubs, not so much.

I lived in a city in Austria (for a year), that was very close to Hungary and where the Turks fought for land. Many of those ancient homes (we lived in one) added baths much, much later. Even as late as the 1970s, because there were so many Turkish bath houses in the city. There are thermal hot springs everywhere outside the city too.

17. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

And just for the record, I don't have something "against" hot tubs. But when you combine what looks more modern with those other things I mentioned, it seems completely out of place.

18. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

A series of 2 person bath tubs, in a row, in a communal bath house. It may even be a house of prostitution for all we know.

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Sure, there was a crossover. Bathhouses did exist but were sometimes shut down because they became host to prostitution after being established. The communal bathing by itself was accepted though, the prostitution tarnished them.

Round shaped tubs did exist too, though are mainly depicted with one or two people at a time.

[​IMG]

I can't say I've seen a picture of a tub with more than two people at a time, though I've seen pictures of fountains used for bathing by multiple couples at the same time.. and also of large pools with multiple couples at the same time.

I guess I would say I don't see it out of the realm of possibility, or departing from a Medieval feel. Even if individual tubs weren't used that way commonly in the Middle Ages, its certainly possible they were. Plus, the society in New Britannia isn't going to be the same as Medieval society, what with lots of women warriors and blacksmiths and all. So, the game would be appropriating things that would fit in a Medieval setting to different uses.

It would be interesting to see how social issues like prostitution will be dealt with in the plot, if at all. But that's sort of out of the way of player interactions.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Even King's castles did not have "hot tubs" as we see in SotA. But we're talking about commoners. Did commoners have them on their lawns? Is that realistic?

One can use the "reason" that SotA is not a medieval game. Well, why not write all new rules and throw in anything we want, just on player's whims? (which is the whole reason and way hot tubs were created for the game, delaying other promised features)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.