Poll: Adult rated towns/basements in SotA? [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Prince Guni, Aug 3, 2014.

?

Adult rated basements / adult rated towns with nudity/sex/gore in SotA?

1. YES - I favor realism and availability of more role play options for those who like that stuff

81 vote(s)
    39.5%
  2. NO - I don't think a game like SotA should allow people to play that way

124 vote(s)
    60.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

No, what is a stretch is calling an unknown amount of nudity interactive it's not like they are going to add Cleveland steamer or Chinese finger trap as a minigame. It would likely be purely cosmetic and I'm of the belief that God makes no mistakes and if they were ment to be clothed he woulda made the gap on the 7th day. I'm not sure who u mean by "they" were ashamed. If u mean people like Adam and eve then by the biblical mindset shame is a mortal emotion that doesn't necessarily mean it's right nor wrong.

It's sad I see more kids growing up perfectly fine with nudity it's the adults with warped minds that assign negative connotations as children are pure and unharmed by societal hangups until a certain age where they are tought nudity is bad. If it's so bad on an all around moral level of human nature then there would be no indigenous people's that still run around naked. Why don't they feel ashamed?

You keep throwing around the term "huge difference" and have yet to explain said difference and as far as "context" goes you are pulling everything within your context to try to make a point of convenience. What's out of context is someone trying to keep a feature out that you don't have to participate in. It's like if yu were my neighbor and got mad at me for not mowing my yard to your specifications and complains that I make your yard look bad when in reality it's not my mowing deficiencies that make your yard look bad but your flawed sense of reality that all should be as you wish it to be and that it's the only right way to do something can't wait for the /dirtysAnchez emote

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

umm wasn't Adam and eve only ashamed after they ate the apple. i know im rusty on my bible but i do think i remember something along those lines.

Veylen The AenigmA likes this.
  3. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

See I hate to say the opponents of nudity have nothing more that their anti nudist discrimination held so closely to their chests with one exception, clueless nonsense and an apparent belief that their supposed moral high ground makes up for the lack of any coherent fact based evidence of their assumptions of moral authority

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That's why I indicated afterwards..

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You obviously don't hate to say since you're taking every opportunity to be insulting to those who don't share your point of view on the subject.

This is how threads get moderated and locked.

Gaelis likes this.
  6. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

What is your point of view though Captain Jack wonders? Aside from not enjoying a dude pretending to be a chic(whats new) on an old NWN server, 'why' do you dislike the idea of an adult related town?

Moonshadow and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually a good question as I have been careful to stay away from making any kind of moral argument apart from concerns regarding minors. And I am going to keep it that way as I don't believe a moral argument is necessary here. Besides.. you see what kind of response one gets..

As a successor to Ultima I think there are limits as to what is a good fit for the game and what isn't. I just don't think it's a good fit. Plus the workload that it would pile on the devs is unreasonable. Once you start putting this kind of stuff in it'll never be enough.

Plus people are going to RP their "adult" fun anyway.. they've never needed special features for that. Actually adding explicit content (ie adult theme towns) suddenly adds restrictions because devs can only add so much. Leaving the extra content out and letting people RP "it" as they always have over the years is the least restrictive option there is.

Now if a town owner wants to set up their town as a sort of Red Light District they can already do that. Just make sure all the residents are into that kind of thing.. and put great big signs out front.. maybe have that 'white list' ban to make a private community some people seem so set against. But Portalarium doesn't need to official promote it by supporting it with features in order for people to do it.

Gaelis and CaptainJackSparrow like this.
  8. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

My final Post... (on this thread at least sorry to get your hopes up other threads i will lol)

i will stick to my original statement that even though i voted yes we should allow adult content...

i also believe it would not be in the best interest of the game. this game would actually suffer because of it. the reasons are many most i find completely invalid and biased by a morally corrupt views. However regardless of TRUTH we all know that their are tons of people who would love to villeineze this game. Wow has billions to create a storms to create havoc to this game.

The main point that is somewhat off topic but still relates to this topic which is at the base of the current argument life cycle is this. As a society we accept violence in our daily lives. action movies get more and more violent each year. TV shows become more and more violent each year. what we as a society accept now as OK in regards to violence is outrageous.

i will give a perfect example right now. many of us have seen the saw movie/movies... the realism of watching people cut their own hands off body parts of is remarkable real. I am a Combat veteran, first responder, fire fighter (all when i was younger im an old fart now) what u saw in those movies was very realistic. yes some was really bad but more was realistic than not. This was rated R... made millions in the box office.
    however...
    when we talk about women's genitalia or a mans genitalia being exposed for two long the world go's nuts. In America we constantly have to vote for or against the lesser of two evils. to me nude body parts male or female is the lesser of the two evils here.

this thread has referenced how different people living around the world have different view points on nudity. Yes i am an American however i was raised in Denmark as a child. i grew up with beaches topless and bottom less. with people comfortable with their sexuality... no one gawked or ran their car into some one or something like what happened in Florida of the g string bikinis.

which brings us back to the thread and the current context of this discussion and weighing in the moral values of a system that allows us to EVISCERATE a human being and allow our children to watch this but if it shows nudity we have a major out cry...

i personally would like to see more conversation on that aspect of why one is ok and the other is morally wrong

Tahru likes this.
  9. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Have to worry when arguments fall back on religion and start stating that opposing viewpoints are warped and nonsensical. That is how you get ants.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Here's my issue with the comparison with graphic violence. SotA isn't graphically violent. What little there might be from body part trophies or whatever wouldn't be nearly realistic and it certainly won't be animated.

2ndly.. something being "socially acceptable" is not the same as it being "ok". When people are making this argument.. and many have.. they always seem to assume that double standard exists among those who don't want sexually explicit content.. and most of the opposition here is thinking.. yeah explicit content.. not JUST people running around topless or what have.

This thread is expressly bringing up the idea of towns specifically centered around explicit content.. not just nudity.

and for the record.. I'd prefer this to the level of graphic violence in saw movies.. but then I have to take people's word for it as I wouldn't be caught dead going to see one. At least I can claim there's no double standard with me.

Not to make a moral case regarding either... but to comment on the argument. I find it odd that people should make a moral argument in favor of such features by bashing other people's morals. Whenever I ask how it would actually improve the game the argument always boils down to "because I want".

Just saying..

Roper Docholiday likes this.
  11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I've always found that when people start bringing personal views into these things the conversation is almost always guaranteed to go down hill. As has been recently demonstrated. The design & development argument on the other hand.. always seems to be sufficient.

Themo Lock likes this.
  12. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Yeah, there are other places for that, adult themed games like Ultima VII: Part Two Serpent Isle,

I made this GIF myself...

[​IMG]

But seriously I'd prefer not, I played Second Life for 2 weeks and saw the dark side of MMOs, it isn't pretty
    and seemed to not add anything to the game, it seemed to really detract from it, anyway it's best to keep
    the game family friendly, to exclude younger players would not be the best for the game, although I did
    see the above animation when I was a kid heh, Serpent Isle is my favorite Ultima.

Themo Lock likes this.
  13. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

U7 Hookers on buccs den
    U7 Girl in cove
    SI Monitor
    SI Prostituting yourself to get what you need out of whats her name in mage city (sorry drunk so can't think of names right now)
    U9, trying to date the girl you rescue

Yes, love and sex have nothing to do with Ultima (not like "Love" wasn't a principle or anything)

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

All resulting in a black screen.. every last one of them. That isn't what's being asked for here..

Also U7.. Natassia in Cove only kisses you.. you want action in U7 go to the bath house in Buc's Den and while we're at it.. don't forget Wanda in U6. :)

Also there's a prostitute in Buc's Den in U9.. but again.. black screen. Also U7 & SI are the only ones with any "nudity" involved but it's so low rez it doesn't even compare to today's standards.

The most "detail" you ever get in U9 is a silhouette from the front for a couple seconds.

None of these examples can be considered "Adult rated" which is what we're talking about in this thread.

15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I actually have no personal issues with adult concepts in gaming, but MANY people will have XD

16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

Ultima V and VI also had related themes, I believe Ultima V would have been the first video game to have touched on a same sex relationship as well. There is a very admirable quality in that Lord British wanted to push those boundaries, but pushing boundaries is quite different to bad taste. I haven't read this thread, but someone has to have already mentioned the fact that these very small occurrences in a much larger game world don't make Ultima all about sex...

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Ah Frigidazzi.. now seriously.. looking at that super detailed, high rez image and remembering the accompanied dance of passion.. is there anyone here who takes that seriously as "adult rated" material? Cause all I see is a low rez Barbie doll. I have a hard time thinking of SI as "adult themed"..

I mean seriously.. that image probably wouldn't even get moderated.

18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

It's called sarcasm, did you read the rest of my post?

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Pretty sure the first was VI. Recall V didn't even have portraits.

20. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

yes and if you watch spoony's ultima review he points out that U7 was horrifically violent for its time too, with a ritually vivisected infant surrounded by the bones of the dead. Not to mention RG's habit of putting child murder into all his games. Seems to me he is DDELIBERATELYaiming for the adult market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.