Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Dream on. :)

Gaelis, Archibald Leatherneck and Net like this.
  2. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I agree with you under the following conditions :

1) So long as it wont be possible after production to use SPO mode to go into PvP zones as you have stated, which is not necessarily true.
    2) The devs stop putting rares in the PvP zones that forces people who do not PvP to go in there to get them.

3. Net

Net Avatar

I hope we will get SPO (and friends only) mode for so-called 'PvP scenes'. I have a lot of lag in multiplayer, not to mention how scenes like Deep Ravenswood are full of people in MPO and all nodes are constantly looted, all animals dead and lots of people is running around, does not make much sense at all. And with the removal of duplicated hexes where we could have some peace as noone bother to go that far off the road and limited amount of zones and especially PvP zones it would only help people to gank and abuse (lack of) game mechanics.

They should, but only for party members;)

4. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If people could actually gather the coveted materials that make the shardfall special without being in PvP mode we will do it. Even the PvPers will do it. Work smarter not harder.

The shardfall has PvP, but is it truly about PvP? I think it is about SotA from my perspective. This area is meant to contain a coveted resource. It is going to have lots of other people willing to risk their lives to get it.... some might even kill.

How do you do that without PvP? So PvP is the mechanic that makes the shardfall more realistic period. Without it the concept doesn't materialize into something that works.

Therefore Single Player Online people should see the content, but they should not see much of that metorite ore...(or whatever spawns there). Either way SPO should not be gathering enough of that ore to do anything ... and maybe they shouldn't get ANY of that ore at all. I was thinking maybe one time out of ten visits they might find one meteorite ore (or whatever it is that is rare there). Might take them 5 months to craft something meaningful, but it still gives the PvE guy something to strive for.... but why not spend that time making money and buy the resources from somebody else... or take the risk yourself?

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So would you completely lock people out of content just because they don't PvP? What if they want to play offline? How is an offline player to be denied access to what is a PvP zone in multiplayer?

Gaelis, docdoom77, Alexander and 3 others like this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think I'm seriously going to start lobbying for No PVE mode. Where I can just walk through dungeons without risk, figure out secrets, jump through the whole game and not have to worry about anything. I wouldn't have to level (I don't really like that either) and I could explore all the world at my leisure.

Exploration Mode.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

The problem with theory is as we have heard risk is relative. Note I didn't say empty out the zone and have all the same things available. I said out monsters in there that will be challenging.

To me, PVP has very little to do with the story. That's my take, since I don't live and breathe it as others. I have played all the ultimas with out PVP and it never devalued the story. Think about a shard fall happens...you can see it but you can only go there if you agree to fight others....does that make any sense if the world you play in is PVP free? You can just role play your character would have no interest in what may be at one of those sites? It makes no sense, if the only reason to say that is because it should be PVP only to give them a unique space you have to ask the next question, why.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Why not just give us dev mode? because it might be fun to just walk around and kill stuff with one hit and make changes to the scene, and teleport anywhere at will.

Hey if they added that as a pledge reward would that be called Pay to Win?

9. Drocis the Devious

I'd totally lock anyone that doesn't accept pvp out of pvp zones, yes.

I think they should have areas where they can complete quests and get whatever resources they want in PVE areas, but not shardfalls and pvp areas. That just doesn't make sense to me. When is anyone going to "try" pvp if they can just do it in SPO mode? I'll bet the data from R14 already supports this. I'll bet there are a significant number of people that normally play multiplayer but only went into the shardfall in SPO mode because they wouldn't even try it - not even as easy as it was.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

If anyone objects, tell them they're discriminating against your playstyle.

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That isn't a very useful way to counter an arguement.

12. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

I disagree with this statement. Theres plenty of other ways to make this realistic with resorting to PvP, such as PvM for example. Plenty of areas in UO were very difficult to gather resources from due to the difficult of the monsters defending it, such as the stygian abyss.

It is only limited by the imagination other ways to make scarce resources scarce, PvP is not the only way.

13. Drocis the Devious

I appreciate that. I think that's a reasonable argument. I just happen to disagree and think we need to do more to preserve the story and the integrity of the game.

Yeah, I get that too. But having the Oracle turn your pvp flag on or off is pretty integrated with the story. It's every bit as integrated with the story as having moon towers protect cities against monsters.

14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

What if they don't even want to try PVP? Seems like this game and posters are trying very hard to convince people they should PVP.

15. Drocis the Devious

I'm being sarcastic, a little out of frustration, but I wanted people to see that part of the argument of "playstyle infringement" is a little bit on the entitled side. It's a game, it has rules, pvp zones have pvp....that's a reasonable rule. If you don't like it, don't go in there.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have read that the instancing takes into account the party, friend and block lists. I even read from one poster that once they blocked someone, they did not see them again. If that is true (I don't know that it is), it could impact PvP zones.

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think the integrity of the story is already so far gone that I'm not even sure there is a cohesive story. PVP is a mode not a story element unless it is within a quest of some sort.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

But why? Why can't that zone have high level monsters etc to add another adventure area...no one is taking PVP away from it, just making sure we don't have a blank black hole of a location for others who want to enjoy the scenes without being forced to have PVP.

Heradite, cartodude and Lord Baldrith like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I'm fine with people never wanting to pvp. I'm fine with people never wanting to take risks. I'm not fine with the game creating paths of easy mode just cause.

There's so many things I don't like to do in these games. I hate grinding, I have to do that. I hate PVE, I have to do that. I hate gathering, I have to do that. I don't have modes where all that is taken out of the game for me.

Really, I only like PVP and Roleplaying. But my expectation isn't that there should be a special mode that makes the whole game to my liking.

20. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

My guess is that many people arent interested in trying PvP.

I probably will dip into PvP myself once in a while just for a change-up and to try something else, but its not really that interesting to me, and certainly not why I paid for this game. For me its kind of a bonus extra that comes with the game, like a mini-game within the game.

I also dislike being forced to PvP and totally change my character stats and skills around, just so I can enter a hex to get a rare, or mine resources that arent provided outside of PvP in any other way.

Whats the point of me creating a crafting character if I have to remove all his crafting skills, reallocate all his points into fighting skills in order to survive, enter the PvP zone, mine resources, leave, remove all his skills, re-allocate them back to being a crafter over and over ad nauseum. Sounds horrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.