Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No you're not. If you are straight PVE then you should consider this a PVE environment to overcome.

Here are some choices.

1. Hire a group of PVPers to take you through path 2, pay them upon your safe return. Congrats you now own a group of mercenaries!
    2. Hire a solo expert to get you the resources you desire!
    3. Make a good relationship with the controlling guild - ah roleplaying! "Hello, I'm Duke Ravicus. You might have heard of me. I'm interested in brokering a deal. In exchange for safe passage through "whatever", I offer you "whatever".

This is where PVP meets PVE. No one forces you to actually PVP...only to interact with the environment. You can choose to go into the pvp zone or not. Neither option stops you from PVE.

Anna Selena likes this.
  2. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Well I am going to just leave you to your ideas I guess. What you call choices are not choices, they are limitations imposed on one group because of favoritism of another. There is no balance in this. It is sad really. I will leave you to the last word.

3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just pointing out that if shardfalls will be popular then affinity instancing will sort a lot of things out.

So a guild will not be as efficient at holding a whole scene. Instead they will hold an instance of a scene. But there will be other instances of the same scene.

So if I'm going to a shardfall I don't necessarily need to bring PvP players with me. Instead simply bring friends, then affinity instancing will sort you with friends and friends of friends and their adversaries. Etc.
    So avoiding being in a guild that fights a lot will make the scene less likely to put you in an instance with enemies.

4EverLost likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

I think that's an interesting point. A good point. But Chris and Starr will probably be way ahead of us on that.

If PVP Zone = True
    Then Fight On! (Read: Match up with people that are going to fight you)

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Affinity instancing will match you with your enemies as well.
    So if you are a PvP player there will be plenty of action and grudges.

But.... If enough sweet, nice, cuddly, cozy non-PvP players enter that has never done a bad thing in their lives then they will mostly get sorted with other sweet, nice and cuddly players...

While people like me who hang with all crowds will end up a little there or a little there. One day feed to the wolves, other days king of the hill.

4EverLost likes this.
  6. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

If they would be way ahead of us on that, you wouldn't have been able to go into the shardfalls in SPO...

and scenes wouldn't have ready-made choke points so PvP is more like PvG when entering a supposed PvP scene.

Just sayin...

7. Drocis the Devious

It's a first pass at pvp. It will get better.

8. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

You're missing some points there...

This isn't the first pass at PvP scenes. They've had some around almost since they allowed players to attack each other.

And the problems that present themselves are still here, like scenes with a single spawn point.

Way ahead means they would have foreseen these and other issues, and put workarounds of some sort in place or altered the mechanics altogether PRIOR to implementing.

Which they haven't... consistently.

9. Drocis the Devious

Nope. They basically made a map, turned on pvp and walked away. They're a small team and are juggling a great many things.

What pvp will look like a year from now will not even be close to that shardfall.

10. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

I think you don't win as many "debates" as you think you do. I think people just get tired of you making a statement, having them counter it, and you ignoring your original point to make a new one and act like you successfully supported the original point.

11. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

WoW, I can't believe you said this, when I am forced to enter a PvP zone to complete the tour quest, How is that 100% consensual? You have a very wierd logic... I take Risks going up against hordes of monsters, outnumbered 10 to 1, and then I have to contend with the fast respawn of fresh critters and you say that's no risk, unless its against a real person... That is an outmoded way of thinking, I do not seek out confrontations with others... If I want Risk, I will goto Reno or Vegas and put my $100 dollars down on a circle at a 21 table, or play some Craps, or put $20 in Big Birtha and pull the handle...

12. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

No, but there are other games.

If there is something remotely like in game mafia structures no one but the mafia guys will stay in the game, leaving the mafia to itself, closing down the game.
    The dev's would be very wise to avoid any kind of regular unavoidable extortion being pushed towards the players.

13. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

A very wise statement. I agree. This would support bullies the most.

14. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I dare to guess that the PvP crowd might fear to run out of fodder.

15. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

There no human AI at least in front of this screen (I don't know about yours), but only a human with intelligence who does not eat green grass.

You usually don't get AI's in games, you only get scripted opponents. and usually they are dumbed down so players can have a shot at them.
    You'd have no chance against a good scripted bot, as he always hits you and it has no lag.

We might agree that most NPCs are programmed in a way that you have a chance to beat them. But given the fact that they are denied proper resources (armor, swords, potions etc) and only have a very limited view (only attack players closer than 10 yards etc.) I think they are designed to be beaten.

Net and Ravicus (Sawtooth Hollow like this.
  16. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I would like that, too. But as it is very open to exploitation I hope it will not be there unless exploitation can be ruled out.

17. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

Very easy to exploit.
    Join a big guild, every Sunday @ 14:00 we all get naked, kill each other, and everyone gets 100 PvP points for distribution.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

2 things.

1: The devs are always aware of such PvP exploits and will no doubt be taking steps against this type of behavior.
    2: Within the context of the idea I put forth.. so what? :) What I was talking about is PvPers being able to customize their own experience. Nothing that would actually give them an advantage of any kind in combat. It wouldn't be that different that having PvP settings in the options menu.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

I probably killed less than a handful of players in UO (all in RPvP). I am not a PvPer but even early Felucca was a lot of fun and had plenty of space for enjoyment for a non-PvPer. I consider myself a RPer and there was thriving RP even in early Felucca. I understand your comments may have been directed at participants in this thread or even the forum in more general terms but there are so many non-PvP voices that are not in this thread or even in this forum that loved what you hated before they ultimately joined the diaspora in later expansions or the exodus from UO.

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I think we are comparing apples to oranges here.... he said:

Now the Issue I see here with your comment Leatherneck, about being a non-pvper in early Felucca. I know what you mean, and you have a good point. However something needs to be clerified that is being missed Noctiflora's comment and what you said in reply to it. RPer or not all people were "eligible" for PvP anywhere in the early Felucca world. So in a sense he was implying that even you to were a PvPer ... this isn't the case, but people are throwing that term around meaning different things.

Now here's my point. Being eligable for PvP doesn't mean you actively have to seek out PvP. You could live your whole life "eligable for PvP" without actively seeking PvP. So who is to say that some people won't just flag for PvP in Shroud and not actually go out and kill anybody... maybe they just want the old school Felucca experience where there was the risk that somebody can attack them.

BACK TO THE SHARD FALL CONVERSATION... in the shardfall area PvP is enabled for everybody who enters. This means everybody who enters that zone will be open to attack, and they consented to that. The shardfall is going to be a hub for opportunists with the ability to attack or be attacked. *This won't be like old school Felucca where you can live as a role player not seeking out PvP* So Noctiflora your comment about people who loved pre trammel UO is not relevant. It would be relevant if you were refering to flagging for PvP, but the shardfall area is not some place where you can pretend all is lovely so you can explore and smell the flowers and takes screenshots with your buddies.

The shardfall is a place to get your resources and get out as fast as possible. It is also a place for the shady people will gather resources from your corpse. It isn't like mining in UO where you might go unnoticed mining that day and you just avoid the spots where PKs hang out. No you are going to the spot that the PKs are hanging out and somehow you need to figure out how to get the resources. This is not pretram PvP it is far more dangerous.

Tahru and Archibald Leatherneck like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.