Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

SPO should be turned of immediately for Shardfalls and other PVP areas

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Poor game design, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I am not a pvper, if your going ot force me to enter a pvp zone against my will to complete a quest or whatever then it definetly better be available to me in single player mode, I dont want to deal with griefers and I dont want to deal with little or big kids wanting to stroke their epeen by killing me. consider single player mode as if it was Trammel, it allows me to conduct my business peacefully without being harrassed

2. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

nobody is forced to go there. If players can get these resources without PvP involved then the purpose of this zone is wasted. Everybody will gather the resources in SPO mode including me even though I like to flag for PvP. I would rather have the resources with no risk.

So giving these resources without the risk of PvP is going to make the trouble of designing these zones as a dangerous PvP zone useless.

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    it will be useless to the majority of the playerbase as they will opt out from going there. Its proven in UO with the fel/tram split. People will buy gold to buy the rares instead of going to these zones. Its flawed.

Lord Baldrith and Net like this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's not risk I'm avoiding, I'm not afraid of them. It's annoyance I'm avoiding.

5. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

Rune, I'd concentrate our efforts on what actually worries me and that's when PVE hexes temporarily becoming PVP as is currently the plan

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  6. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Some resources are removed in SPO as it is now so it would be an easy fix just to remove the PvP unique resources from SPO mode.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah maybe but then the shardfall is just a normal place. If they cannot get the special resources then why give access to SPO mode at all.

Sounds like the devs made the right call.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If the resources aren't worth it to you to suffer the consequences (fear or annoyance) then that is your choice that prevents you from going there.

There were more resources in felucca to be mined and some players chose to go back there because they figured the risk was worth the reward. Others thought it wasn't worth the risk.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It really is annoyance. Annoyance that people believe that their has to be a reward for these players to fight each other that the rest of the world should beholden to. I generally don't like dealing with the personalities this type of gameplay normally attracts.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

REALLY? I thought you were a PK.

11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, if they manage to do that, they will have instance with no PvP because every player will be their guildmate. And if someone happens to log out, the next person gets outnumbered 63v1 or whatever the instance player count will be. In the end, it might be quite possible to use alt accounts of guildies to fill the instance to prevent PvP and let only few people gather...

It is really hard to scale risk vs reward in PvP. Even if only half of slots can be filled by allies, then you might be able to form allience with enemy guild or use alts to make supposedly enemy guild... That way people get all the rewards of "high-danger PvP zone" without any PvP risks at all. Using PvP as risk factor is a very bad idea because it cannot be balanced, it favours high level characters and especially big guilds.

It ends with groups ruling these instances and having no risk and all rewards and people avoiding these zones and having no risk and smaller rewards. There might be few stubborn people who will venture there only to get all the risk and no rewards.

12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If I were designing the shardfalls, then I'd have a tracker value. (and not tell anyone I had one)
    That tracker value would increase with resources/loot gained, and would decrease with levels of avatars dying.
    Then have that tracker affect all drops for resources/loot gained. So if players ain't dying, the extra rewards are gone.
    When the tracker reaches a threshold I would spawn a really big plant monster, which has less XP than standard for its level and no loot.
    If the tracker continues to rise, I'd spawn an insane amount of such plant monsters to clear the scene.

This so that you have a PvE control to the PvP gains.

13. Golem Dragon

Golem Dragon Avatar

Ok I have a response from the devs for everyone. Chris is working on a long mega post and he will go into deep detail on what the plan is for these PVP zones for the non-pvpers in Single Player Online mode. Personally I like what he is thinking as it is how I would code and design such a system.

14. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Awesome. Thank you Golem Dragon.

Anna Selena likes this.
  15. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I like you.

16. Clatter Hatter

Clatter Hatter Avatar

I guess you do care what happens in SPO, as you are putting quite some effort to make it impossible for non-PvP players to access Shardfall areas.

17. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I think that if you enter a shardfall in Single Player Online mode then you should either have the option to be flagged for PvP if you want to compete for the special resources in the scene or enter the scene alone. If you enter alone then you should not have access to the special resources but instead be able to find some treasure or monster there so that you still have something interesting to do in the scene.

If you enter a shardfall in Single Player Offline mode then of course there is no option for PvP but you should still be able to get something in the scene, maybe find a treasure or fight some monster there and get clues about what the shardfall is.

Tahru likes this.
  18. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Not all PvP'er are jerks Rune, some of us are quite helpful and nice. Every time you post something like that i find it quite upsetting since i go out of my way to aid people in and out of PvP. Virtuous PvP'ers fight the PK'ers, without the PK'ers there is nothing to fight since we will not kill innocents. This type of area gives us something to fight over since even a 1% increased drop-rate of rare harvesting materials is worth killing for. The more rewarding the devs can make this light vs dark struggle, the healthier the game will be for it in the long term. There are entire guilds who PvP with virtue and they house some of the top ranking PvP players.

Tahru and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  19. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't think all PVPers are jerks, for instance I don't think your a jerk. I'm not even saying take the zone and resources away. The unfortunate part is it does attract some that I don't like dealing with.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Let's assume the following situation. Portalarium would include a soccer scene into the game. If you want to get some rare resources you would have to play a sports game to get this or a Bejeweled clone or a 3D-shooter. Not everyone likes those games and not everyone likes PvP. So should people be forced to play a 3D-shooter or a match of soccer if they want to enter and explore a scene?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.