What is the real purpose of PvP Zones?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Feb 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Apparently there's some truth to what they say about first impressions. I'm sorry you feel that way.

As far as the many ways I'm wrong... I'm listening.

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well then you have half the number of posts than normal :)

3. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Putting resources in there isn't forcing anything, you don't need to go in to get them (they are elsewhere in lower concentrations). Same goes for a decorative item or collectable, the only thing forcing you to go in is greed, you don't NEED it.

4. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Okay, now I'm confused. Huh???

Edit: half per page. Got it. Lol.

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I remember a time when I had a dim view of PvPers in general. but I've come to realize it was a case of a few spoiling the image of many.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

half the number of posts per page.. thus you have twice as many pages.

7. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Yeah, yeah, I figured it out. Lol. Back to the topic at hand so I can forget about simple math failing me. ;)

8. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    tell me what you think after you watch this.

9. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

I agree that there's no point in having them... many PvPers would agree, which is why many PvPers advocate(d) full-world PvP.

As we all know, that didn't fly.

However, it's quite clear that a PvP zone is substantially different than other zones. Think about the practical differences rather than the fundamental form of the 'zone,' I guess. The differences are clear to me, anyway.

So, this is the compromise that we're left with, and it's one that will likely see considerable development in time.

If you don't like PvP, don't PvP. If you like PvP, then PvP in 'x' ways (including zone-based PvP).

High Baron O`Sullivan likes this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'm still trying to figure out exactly how they're substantially different. :)

11. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

The point of this argument is because PvPers do not want others to dictate how they choose to play the game.

Correct?

But - the way they choose to play the game dictates how others (their victims) get to play the game.

The crux of this argument - PvPers demand the freedom to deny freedom to others.

12. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Do you believe that people and machines are substantially different? I do.

Players vs Players, Players vs Machine. That's the core difference.

From that starting point, many nuances can be gleaned.

By reducing the 'zone' to its basic form, anyone's likely to wind up with the OP.

13. Phenom Ill Il IlI l

Phenom Ill Il IlI l Avatar

From the City in the sky and house of Legend's
    I am sorry Bowen, but the way your question is asked it implied to me that you don't want the pvp zone.

Ok so for my best explanation of why the pvp zone, which I am sure many other's could answer much better. For me to have a pure PvP zone means for me a PvP hub. Not only as a main area for our interest but also a building block for our desired game play. To have something to fight over, also gives us the competitive side of PvP as I know you understand. For PvP is for many just that competitive. IT is what drives PvP, other wise we would prefer the same as many other to just fight non player mobs. That act and re-act the same time after time. In PvP each encounter is a fresh new experience due to human nature of doing different things from one another.

So in a nut shell for PvP to be enjoyable there needs to be a goal, a competitive side of things that drives that game style. I am sure most people from UO will understand that in the felluca spawn area's yes PvP was a big part of it but only as much as PvE. The PvE player's came for the spawns and the PVPers tried to raid them. Without the PVE spawners there would be no PVP but on the other hand if there was no PVP there would be no market on the goods you got from the spawns. So in that it made balance. Not only for the market but also the game styles. On top of all of that it encouraged guilds and communities to be built. Don't get me wrong it made me mad when I lost a spawn to rival pvpers but without it, It would never have been the same. No where close to the same. It's that competitive side of felluca that kept me going back when I was more of a PVEer and only through that did I finally ever get turned on to PVP. So I understand both sides and I know the importance to such game designs to make it appealing to more than just one side or the other. But non- the less it is a game design needed for a great game for all.

14. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

yeah i have seen it, there are a few things that contradict each other and confuse everybody. I THINK the unique materials they want to put in there is for creating PvP specific objects but who knows XD I am pretty much waiting for another update and more information before i get upset or schedule a parade.

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Ya, I would like some clarification as well, otherwise its kind of unbalanced.

16. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Here's my question, going to the heart of the purpose of a PvP zone: Meaningful PvP.

How does the future they propose for the Shardfall scene (and others like it) equate to meaningful PvP????

As you have pointed out, Bowen, PvP EVERYWHERE ELSE is already consensual.

Why do we need a scene dedicated to PvP alone, that (it has been stated) WILL HAVE resources that cannot be acquired in any other scene without intervention by or interaction with another player?

What about this is meaningful? How does it incentivize PvP for those who would not ordinarily risk it?

I am a solo player, mostly because that is all my lifestyle and employment will allow. I will not be able to afford the time I would need to develop enough of a rapport with other players to be a member of a guild that would be a serious contender for any contested PvP scene. Even if I would be, I would more than likely be the hanger-on kind of member who is rarely present, and so rarely thought of when it comes time to determine who can be part of guild activities or who might get a bit more of a discount when it comes to purchasing said PvP scene- restricted items. So my choice will be, go in there alone, and get stomped, or buy them from someone else for a semi-inflated or even exorbitant price.

Not much of a choice there.

Why can't something like the Shardfall scene be open to non-PvP people, just without the abundance of resources, and a drastically (like, 1/10000000) reduced chance of acquiring the rarer resources (but stil a CHANCE), and smarter, stronger and deadlier npc's than are normally present? I get to experience content I would never have bothered with otherwise, I get to see what it has to offer in terms of potential resources and potential challenge (as the npc ai could be ramped up enough to provide a close approximation of a PvP challenge), AND if I like what I see, I might actually see *gasps* an incentive to go in there under PvP flag!

just some passing fancies...

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

But as I've been pointing out.. you can PvP anywhere. Not just in PvP zones. So.. what's the difference between PvP in a PvP zone.. and PvP anywhere else in the wild?

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I admit I have recently become skeptical but I don't care so much provided that there's reason enough to have it. And I must say that is so far the single best attempt at explaining what you get out of having a PvP zone so far. :)

I'm not sure how much I agree but never the less a good response to my question. Thank you. :)

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

um no not really. :) Though I understand why you might have thought so. The whole point of starting this thread is questioning the necessity of "PvP zones" themselves. What purpose do they actually serve and is that purpose going to be effective and worth pursuing.

It was never intended to be a PvP vs non-PvP debate. But an examination of the merits of PvP zone design.

20. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I was actually thinking more or less the same thing earlier but forgot to mention it.. thanks.

If the idea is to entice non-PvPers into the PvP zone. Would it not be better to let them explore it in SPO and see what kind of area it is first and let them decide if they want to go after the resources in PvP mode first? Rather than discourage them by forcing them into PvP just to enter the area?

One of the concerns I have is that for the intended purpose of enticing players into PvP.. forcing them into PvP out of SPO is a serious turn off. There's a lot of people who wouldn't even consider entering the area because of that. But let them in and give them a taste and some of those folks might be tempted to at least give it a try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.