PvP Zones : The richest 1% get richer?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Innessa Lelania, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sn0tub

sn0tub Avatar

Wow.

Look out for da ebil pee vee pee.

Please stop using emotive arguments and pass them off as factual statements.

Archibald Leatherneck and Kaisa like this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Until I see the 95% of the hexes that are not PvP barren of rare resources that spawn in the 5% that are PvP. I won't care about the 5% and it's rares.

3. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Unless one had the ability to be everywhere at once consecutively.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Amethyst

Amethyst Avatar

You can always temporarily mark yourself PVP, enter the area, mine some resources and then leave. It won't be easy but it won't be easy for full-time PVPrs either. Someday I plan to get the courage to try it myself.

Isaiah [MGT] likes this.
  5. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

But it should only be about risks we are willing to take. As a PVE player I am not willing to take PVP risks. And I should never be asked to, especially where the same reward for PVE risks is clearly not even offered.

It should only ever ask us to take risks we are willing to take - risks that are part of our playstyle.

There should be PVE risks for PVE players, and PVP players should be able to take PVP risks - but do not mix the two. And offer an equal reward for both playstyles.

Lord Baldrith and Tahru like this.
  6. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nobody is being asked to do anything, and no playstyle is being rewarded specially. It is simply the rules of the game. The zone exists because it is part of the game. It should be no surprise since they've been talking about this exact thing since kickstarter. All of the video chats mentioned these PvP zones meant to entice PvE players into trying it out.

If you play monopoly you know that if you are told "go directly to jail, do not pass go, and do not collect $200," we do it because that is the game rules are. We can be upset about it but it isn't fair to the other players to ask them all to change the rules because you personally don't want to not collect your $200.

This is Shroud of the Avatar it has PvP zones with resource nodes. It isn't going to be mandatory to enter the zones, you can buy the resources from other players if you want, but nobody is forcing you.

Fight for the things you want but this is not something developed out if nowhere. This was the concept from the beginning. This game got fully funded with these parameters clearly expressed. So if you choose to leave the game because you feel like you are being left out of something or that it doesn't cater to your playstyle that shouldn't be an indicator that is how most people feel since the game was fully funded with this on the table and they didn't speak about it in some obscure lawyer speak about this. What it does show is that maybe you didn't do your research before pledging.

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Obviously I am saying the rules (which are not set in stone, this is an alpha) need to change.

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Yeah I hear you. Richard Garriott will ultimately make the call. These zones are his idea. He talked about them and he seemed to believe this is the way to go about it. I pledged for this game knowing that was the plan. We have asked for many changes and there have been many tweaks, but if you look at what has actually changed were things like the presentation of the overland map and stuff like modifying various house types. The fundamental game concept has not changed. The way it is manifesting might be different than some imagined when the first pledged, but the concept each component is derived from hasn't changed.

See for yourself. There is a thread that has a lot of the early videos, and some of the fan sites have links to the videos too. Or maybe Portalarium youtube page might have them too. This game is materializing exactly as they described in videos made before Kickstarter even ended.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  9. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Forcing PVP is not the way to go.

10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Nobody is forced to PvP it is totally optional. Where did you get the idea that PvP is forced upon anybody?

Archibald Leatherneck and Abydos like this.
  11. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Is there an equal PVE area with enriched nodes?

12. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

There will be those resources in non PvP only areas, but not in equal amounts. So you will have access to them just not nearly as much.

If you covet these resources this badly then maybe this idea is working. The hope is to create a type of cognitive dissonance or whatever that causes you to choose between your desire to not PvP and your desire for the rewards.

You don't want to enter a PvP zone but you want the resources so you either don't go for the resources you want or you do enter the zone because you just need those resources. You can't have it both ways. You need to choose. This is a struggle in your mind because it isn't being forced on you.

You should be able to live a fine life in SotA without ever having to PvP because that is what they said from day one. PvP is optional. Nobody will be forced into it.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  13. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Then it's forced PVP. People need to risk PVP to have access to these resources. Let's face it, PVE players are the most likely largest group of crafters - generally PVP players just enjoy grinding levels so they are the most powerful killers - they are never the largest group of crafters in a mixed game. The PVE players need the resource areas more.

There needs to be equal areas both in PVE and PVP (even though the PVP group is easily far smaller) for risk-reward. I'm not trying to hog it, yet the PVP players clearly are trying to hog their advantage. I can see right through you. It's not "for the game" - it's to hold your advantage and hopefully lure weak crafters into your zone.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

PvPers didn't do anything. Richard Garriott came up with the idea. So how are PvPers hogging anything?

The truth is most PvPers don't get rich fighting amongst themselves anyway. The best usually just survive off of the loot and those who cannot need to work extra hard to keep up with expenses.

15. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

How? Look at how much you argue to keep it this way.

If you were being fair you would see I am right - there needs to be risk-reward for each type of playstyle, both PVE and PVP. Not just for one. The rewards need to be equal.

saesa likes this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Or........... you could be a strong Crafter and just go get your resources you want so bad! I craft and i PVP, im fairly decent at both. Whats the problem there? If i want to get resources from a PVP zone i just go and get them, i may be killed by another PVPr or monster or BOTH (thats something PVE will not have to worry about having to fight BOTH), so i may not get those resources until i get better at PVP! If i go to PVE i just gather everywhere and have more resources than the average PVP, since the chances of me getting killed is relatively zero in PVE.

So what if you made stronger monsters and NPCS for PVE? When you go to your PVE ground to get special resources, and are killed more often than not! Will you still complain that its too hard for PVE to gather resources and its not fair? and PVP get more just because we know how to handle it better or know how to set up our characters according to PVP?

Honestly if you look at the monsters now they are easy to maneuver around or kill, i can collect resources for days and never die once, but i cannot do that in PVP! So should i complain since im not a good enough PVPr? "Its not fair hes a better pvpr than I and i cant get my resources there!" that sounds stupid huh?

It just sounds like you want it all, with no risk to me! You want it but dont want to risk dieing PVP or PVE? I think when you clear that up people will understand your posts and wants. If you just want to get everything without effort it simply wont happen.

On top of that it is your own choice to go to a PVP zone. For instance its a bad choice for me to try and go up against 3 or 4 PVP if i see them, it will more than likely result in my death that would be a "bad choice", but i have no one to blame but myself for doing that and getting myself killed.

YOU still get to choose what you want PVP or PVE, and no one is forcing you to do either! These are choices you have chosen! Not me not the game but YOU!

Isaiah [MGT], Abydos and The Hendoman like this.
  17. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Allow me to simplify it, so it's easy for everyone to understand (I hope).

There needs to be PVE risk-reward, and PVP risk-reward, and then everyone can choose.

Otherwise it's forced PVP as the only risk-reward is for PVP.

Lord Baldrith, saesa and Kara Brae like this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I have to say, and it doesn't matter how I look at it. I see very very little risk attached to PvE unless the mobs are particularly powerful with highly advanced AI and are capable of looting.

Isaiah and blaquerogue like this.
  19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think that right there covered your risk vs reward! and your ability to choose!

20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

while i hate pvp with a passion (because i love it too much, queue the singularity....now), i feel that enticing non-pvp players to try it out can be rewarding. it is another feature pve people will be able to play, and will keep their attention longer than just the pve aspects.

thre are systems implemented, and to be implemented that will allow the pve players to remain pve, while they can do what people are complaining about here - "not being able to" collect resources in pvp zones. they won't go to the zones if they dont' want to, but they will still be able to obtain those materials elsewhere. - as long as a few criteria are met, this can work well.

1. pvp areas can not be the only place to obtain those materials.
    2. those materials can not be for pvp-only gear.
    3. the volume of materials able to be gathered from pvp zones, should not drive the prices of those materials up. it should drive it down, to remain competitive in the market which are neither pve or pvp in and of themselves.

pve players should not look at this as being forced to go somewhere, or being restricted from doing certain activities in the game. far from it on both counts - they make the conscious choice to NOT participate in pvp activities.

elder scrolls oblivion and skyrim: how many people who prefer pve over pvp in mmo's did the dark brotherhood quests? i see no difference in the systems excluding the obvious fact that it is a single-player game.- pvp focuses on people.
    - pve focuses on environment and not JUST people.

- dark brotherhood focuses on people.
    - the rest of the games focused on environemnt and not JUST people

while i doubt i'll be doing pvp here, i agree that it should be a part of the game (good, i won't be dissappointed), but don't want to be forced into it like allods online did, you hit level 23 and that next zone is full pvp.. it is HORRIBLE to be forced into it, and i do not think Port has done that, here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.