1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I was here from the beginning. That has nothing to do with how this game was pitch.

Isaiah and rune_74 like this.
  2. TantX

TantX Avatar

If'n you say so.

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/projects/468235/video-215059-h264_high.mp4

Shroud of the Avatar is the “spiritual successor” to Richard’s previous work in the FRP genre. Our primary objectives are to tell a story even more compelling than Ultimas IV-VII, create a virtual world more interactive than Ultima VII, develop deep rich multi-player capabilities beyond combat akin to Ultima Online, and offer a bold new approach to integrate them with “Selective Multi-Player”.
    • Shroud of the Avatar is infused with rich storylines, deeply integrated into game play, developed by Best Selling Author Tracy Hickman and RPG legend Richard Garriott.
    • Players will adventure in an interactive world where their choices have consequences, ethical paradoxes give them pause, and they play a vital part in weaving their own story into the immersive world and lore surrounding them.
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a Selective Multiplayer game, allowing players to choose how they want to play! Whether in Single-Player Offline mode or any of three online modes, the main quest line will provide greater than 40 hours of focused, story driven content.
    • Shroud of the Avatar can be played as an offline DRM free solo experience or online, where our servers will enable player to player transactions, group finding, patching, streaming of dynamic content, and exploit prevention.
    • Built using the Unity Game Engine, Shroud of the Avatar will support Win/Mac/Linux for official launch.
    • Players can specialize in a wide range of combat and non-combat skills, provided by a robust, classless skill system, and full-featured crafting and housing mechanics. Play the way you want to play, molding your character into the hero, anti-hero, or artisan you want to be!
    • Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtue is the first of a 5 game series of full-length, stand-alone games (each using the same game system), referred to as Episodes 1 through 5. Estimated availability of Episode 1, Forsaken Virtues, is October 2014, with Episodes 2 through 5 estimated for subsequent yearly releases.
    • Shroud of the Avatar is a “buy-to-play” game that, once purchased, does not require a subscription to play!

Didn't take time to rewatch the vid in that link. If I am not mistaken that is the Kickstarter launch opening video. (I'll fix it later if it's not)

That is the open statement for SotA. It has not changed, the design is still on course with this statement. Anything they add still fits this statement.

Ville does not fit.

4. EnigmaWinz

EnigmaWinz Avatar

Full Loot Scenes! WOOT!

graylake21 likes this.
  5. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I said the exact same thing to him, even linked the kickstarter....he was unwilling to discuss and basically called me simple for not understanding what it was before.....I'm at a loss where he got that idea but he continually brings it up.

He then proceeded to ignore me because I didn't agree with him.

6. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

All I can recall is that they said it was being built with Unity and that enabled the possibility of doing a conversion for a mobile app. It certainly was never planned as a mobile app, that was just a 'nice to have' if the possibility remained as development progressed. I would say that the 'possibility' was abandoned a long long time ago.

Themo Lock likes this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

My only quess is it's a long stretch attempt to tie in Ultimate Collector with the SotA housing model. Social networking + housing.

Thats like saying this is a Tolken game because it has <insert name here>

No, that Kickstarter info I linked is still as much the core design as it was when it was first published. This thread only builds on that core. I can't think of a single thing they have changed.

8. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I decided to listen to my sprite this week and silence myself on this topic.

@Chris, no mater what is done, there is no pleasing everyone on this polar topic. There is not even a super majority to be had. My only humble request is that your team makes a comprehensive choice, then just say how it is going to be with a reasonable amount of detail and road map vision. Then walk away to make it so, never looking back. Everyone has had ample opportunity to voice their opinions and concerns.

I am not a huge fan of having to argue with my friends. In fact, it is making me want to participate less.

EMPstrike, Ice Queen, steanne and 4 others like this.
  9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Following this thread, my biggest take away continues to be that that the community is still trying to understand what the real purpose of PVP is in the game. Is it simply to PVP and loot (one kind of game), or is there some more strategic reason/purpose for the PVP (a different kind of game). Without the more strategic purpose for PVP, the discussion devolves simply devolves to the PVP vs. no PVP camps without a basis to discuss why it matters or doesn't.

Tahru likes this.
  10. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

eh my biggest take away is people don't take time to read threads
    tl;dr ho-hum; hum diddly ho

Tahru likes this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I can see where that comes from in this forum. But two things, just to be fair...

1) I have seen plenty of responses from various employees in the most unexpected threads. Also, employees can be be frequently seen as "online" in the forum. So that implies that replying may not be a valid comparison to reading.

2) I know at least one other game forum in which the employees are significantly more engaged in the forum. They are a much younger crew overall than this group. So that could be a factor as well. The older I get, the noticeably greater my tolerance, but the less willing I am to stand in the fire.

Ice Queen and graylake21 like this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think your over exaggerating it will never be 100% PVP, we all know that! If one or two places are PVP and there is nice stuff there, then if you feel you want to dredge through the PVP its fine its your choice! :) Not all the best resources are going to be behind PVP! I promise you that as much as the devs had!

Honestly we are lucky that we have PVP, if it wasn't for some there would be no PVP, which is a lame game to me! I can always play single player fantasy games when i want, there are millions out there! Very few PVP, and that is a shame as well. What you keep missing from what i have seen over and over from you and Rune, die hard no PVP, "it ruins everything!" If its sooooo bad to give us PVP something to do, then why would it not be good to have separate servers! Maybe i dont want to play with you or rune, maybe i want to be just around all my PVP friends!?

The smartest decision this game can make, is to separate those that want to be separated! based on play style! If they did this and gave PVP and PVE their own dedicated servers, with their own dedicated economy, then at that point all angles would be happy, frankly as a PVP i get tired of all the crying about PVP is so bad! Which a lot have said over and over! Again that is one persons opinion, Us pvp would be happy to have our own server, we dont need "sheep" if we have each other to kill, and we can still RP, still follow story lines etc... but in a PVP state without the conflict between both PVE and PVP!

I want PVE to have a good game i do not want to be held back from my play style because someone that is PVE doesn't want things we do!
    Those PVP zones they keep talking about will not block anyone from doing anything, the worst case scenario is PVE will have to go around. No big deal, just go around and skirt us as they always do anyways!

You should make a list and see how much PVE has compared to PVP. Only then you will see PVP has been slighted over and over, we have what 3 or 4 zones to go, all out and PVP where all are game! (one more time where all are PVP)
    PVE has safe towns to sell and trade in, and many dungeons, for those of you that consider themselves sheep please pull the wool out from your eyes and see how much you already have!

Badger Vagabond and Tahru like this.
  13. Deathblow

Deathblow Avatar

I would just like to simplify the OP, bank it or bet it. How is that blackrogue?
    In PvP, my understanding @this point is, all gatherings-gold-regs-mats-und suggested-all weapon(s) set to zero.
    This forces opponent back to the bank & blacksmith.

"this is hard core" OPO

blaquerogue and Tahru like this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

No it isn't.

15. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

There has never been a time since I began my association with this game that it didn't include PvP, nor was there a time when PvP was to be removed. I must either not know to what you are referring, or you're engaging in hyperbole.

rune_74 likes this.
  16. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Sorry, late to the discussion.

There is more needed for me. As a non pvper I need some reason to go in there as well.

Otherwise they are basically just making an arena that I would have no reason to enter.

Weins201 likes this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I think that there would be more people open to pvp if the consequences where balanced. Currently and I am not sure about the future of what will be in place for a justice system if any at all. Many people want to pvp in other games like WoW that had equal grouping battlegrounds and such. I know this will not be the case here so I can see the pvp community struggling the way I see it proposed right now. I hope it works out don't get me wrong but from everything my mind and heart tells me is that this feels wrong. Just my 2 cents and that don't add up to jack squat usually around here anyways. I would hope for more of an inclusive approach that could be found. Perhaps guild wars might be the better route that can set up pvp preferences individually.

Ice Queen likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Although the push for No PVP was put forth in the beginning, by people like you! We had only 1 loot pvp, it was only throuh a duel, and we were promised one area where all was flagged PVP, we have come so far now with PVP, that i will fight you to the death to get more PVP content and zones! You already have the game, so enjoy that part!

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Hopefully they will balance PVP by making it a certain level before you can PVP like 20, from what they put in the year old video they want to stop rez kills and ganks of people by giving nothing for ganks in a row. So far im good with that, my advice would be not to go into PVP if you cannot deal with the consequences there!

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

"Although the push for No PVP was put forth in the beginning, by people like you! We had only 1 loot pvp, it was only throuh a duel, and we were promised one area where all was flagged PVP, we have come so far now with PVP, that i will fight you to the death to get more PVP content and zones! You already have the game, so enjoy that part! "

:eek:That sadly is why so many of "us", as we are called ,will not and NEVER will support your train of thought. :mad:PvP is NOT content, sorry but to many of the "PvP" players are in it for ONE reason to Kill other palyers and take their stuff. And they will kill players OVER and OVER for NO REASON. It is for those reasons any time you all try and say "content" for PvP it hits closed minds, and the worst is someone saying; "trying to draw the sheep to the wolves " LMAO

I was at one of the Walk thrus where LB and DS went to Shardfall, I screwed around for a while, I think I helped out and killed ONE guy, but when I died I was Kille 3 more time without even moving. I had NO health, and the Death shield appear under you bar so whoever targeted me could EASILY see I was a Fresh Res, but didn't matter, was killed for NO reason.:confused:

:DThere are some that like to PvP to have the ability to Fight a THINKING opponent but sadly there are MORE that are just plain malcontents.

Sadly you have obtained some kind of voice and are getting stroked with promises of bringing players to areas which will be Open PvP. :rolleyes: They will be wastelands :oops: And if there is "content" put in there that is ONLY available there that the nonPvP players need/want there will be a HUGE uproar. :p (Look at Champ Spawns in UO, the perfect example of what "we" do not want and will NOT stand for)

I know you think you are trying to improve the game but you are just trying to make the game more of what you want ;) which sadly is NOT what the game is about :( but like you said keep trying o_O

Ice Queen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.