1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Full loot PVP and stuff

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just a small suggestion here. Instead of all the rampant speculation built upon wishes from players, with counter arguments against such and so on and so forth.
    Why not simply wait for Chris to post?
    I mean it's not like a dev should wade through 40 pages of speculations and counter speculation based on rumors.

Now regarding the vids deep dives and hangouts. Almost all the original plans are still unfolding according to those old plans. I see very little that have changed - mostly cosmetics.

But if you want a more recent source you have the PvP hour in the streamathon on the Portalarium Austin YouTube channel. It confirms what has been said in earlier vids and announcements.

2. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

disagree on that, since it was more or less the hype that brought us here.

3. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

A very small portion of the Forum/backer population actually posts. It's the same 20 or so people that post the most often. The Devs will most likely do what they feel is in their best interest and the most favorable for the game as a whole, not for a minority of people, some of which are a loud PVP minority. They may listen and act on what is posted sometimes but we posting here are more inclined to post what we want, not what is best for the game itself. Hype for a new game always exists either through promises or actual pre-alpha reviews if the dev videos are good. I think a dose of 'get over ourselves' is in order.

Ice Queen likes this.
  4. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

camped this thread from day 1; that said; if what is spoken here doesn't at least end up in a meta-data table, it was more or less all for naught.

that said, as far as "getting over-ourselves."; if we don't care that they don't read our posts, you're enforcing a rather negative standard, by even suggesting it

5. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Just because Chris trolled people into writing 40 pages of speculation doesn't mean that he should read through the result of such trolling.
    Also most of the out-there speculation wouldn't happen if people paid attention to what the devs have been saying all along.

Sean Silverfoot and Xandra7 like this.
  6. Ship One

Ship One Avatar

The logistics of recording everything that is passed between forum posters is daunting. Especially considering that 90% of what is posted is not all that constructive or useful information. We can disagree with how the game develops but I feel we will actually influence how the game progresses in a minor way. I enjoyed the Ultima games and I believe RG will make a good game. That's why I backed it, not because I felt they'd do what I want. I'm no game developer. I can throw out my ideas and my views and engage in discussions with others about how the game progresses but I do not expect the devs to burn dev time reading everything I write and I sincerely hope they do not.

Kara Brae, Spoon and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  7. TantX

TantX Avatar

The "vocal few" also have a lot more sway than the quiet many. They can bring more people in or convince others to quit or not try it at all. Additionally, the vocal backers are the most passionate, the ones who want to see it thrive. I don't want someone who "backs it and forgets it" to have as much say as someone who's constantly playing and vocalizing their perceptions of the game. They're so lukewarm in their approach that I don't think they have the game's best interests in mind.

That doesn't mean they should be kowtowed to, but don't disregard the vocal minority as simply a "minority".

8. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

speaking of daunting and redundancy posts

9. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

this is an open forum; and while i don't disagree there are plenty of people quiet or not speaking on an issue;it doesn't invalidate more or less content generation

10. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Isn't rampant speculation the purpose of this thread?
    They haven't made spur of the moment changes at all as far as I can tell. The things we see in announcements fit the info they gave us all the way back to the kickstarter. It's the details we don't have that make the difference and that leaves room for discussion.

Look at it from the PvP side. Do you think PvPers would be interested in contested zone content? Shouldn't PvP be able to get in on that?

This stuff works on both sides of the fence. Everyone wants the content to be accessible to their play style.
    I'd say a city siege is the same as a contested zone. I'd like to see both a PvE element and a PvP element to a city siege.

Example: A city is under siege, to enter you are flagged PvP. If you do not wish to PvP there is an option to enter the sewers and try to sneak around the fighting and PvE to aid your side of the contested zone. (Or flip it and have the sewers as the PvP area) Either way, both PvP and PvE have their part to play in the city siege.

We already know the 95%/5% model so 5% is unaccessable to the PvE style. - Accepted by most I would think
    From there, it's speculation, for the most part. Speculation is healthy as long as it's civil.

4EverLost likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sadly, some will read this and not pay attention to it either. :p

Spoon likes this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

If all control points are PvP enabled, did they mention anythign about how the control point behaves after it's been captured? Does it go into an uncontested state for a while or anything?

13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Off the top of my head, there are only a few details I can think of about control points. Mostly it's the overworld map but there is Hilt that RG went into a little example.

In the Hilt example, that's exactly what happens. It's contested until controlled. The control is not going to last forever.

14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

a small note here.

We have a couple of thousands of players who play the game, yet don't post in the forums.
    You don't have to be lukewarm to have good reasons to stay away from the forums.
    While others only post bugs and stays clear of discussions, again for good reasons.

Those players though are very visible in the metrics that the devs collect and track. Like the combat data that Chris post every now and then. Etc.
    Also when the devs are in the game they talk to the players there, lots of things have been said there and been considered even though we don't see it in the forums.
    So you can be a very good part of play testing without the forums.

Kara Brae likes this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Rampant speculation != discussion.

16. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

technically that's.... actually bad logic.

17. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc., especially to explore solutions; informal debate.

the contemplation or consideration of some subject:
    to engage in speculation on humanity's ultimate destiny.

an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

that's all from dictionary; that's 1:1 and 3rd guess the words
    correct order:
    discussion:speculation:forum

18. TantX

TantX Avatar

This is an early access, though, for a reason. This isn't a full-fledged game. The same way people don't always submit reviews of restaurants but have an opinion nonetheless. I can respect your point, but this is pre-alpha. It depends on feedback. Someone who doesn't want to submit that in any way on the forums for discussion is letting their opinion fall silent.

Just because they're playing now, if they're assuming there will be more PvP and there isn't, they won't be after launch. Vice versa, if they're expecting less PvP and the game launches per some discussions in this thread specifically, they may quit from sheer shock (or at the least not back Episode 2). That's the say nothing of the people who backed and stopped playing, either because they got busy with something else or just hate the direction its going.

As far as speculating goes, ever since this game went from UltimaVille two years ago to discussing full loot options, speculation is about as pertinent to discussion as citing the Kickstarter page.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Dare I ask, UltimaVille? Yeah, that's reaching even if you don't know the info on full display of the Kickstarter.

This game isn't going full loot. They are only adding a few*** zones that will be full loot. Hardly a change.

*** number unknown. Could be included in the 5% estimate already given or it could be in addition.

20. TantX

TantX Avatar

Do you not recall when this game was pitched? It was little more than a mobile app more akin to a Facebook game than the MMO-like they're advertising now.

Ice Queen and Mordecai like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.