Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

It's NOT an MMO, don't put silly ideas in the heads of people here ;)

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I was saying that to suggest that the lore was being followed by default. You should read what I was responding to.

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

By the way.

I feel like we had that talk already.
    Let me think. Christmas?

Yes. The Christmas Tree Discussion.

4. Drocis the Devious

We can only take knowledge with us. How hard is it to make a pumpkin mask?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  5. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Believe me. 55000 backers have alot of knowledge. If they are only able to use that knowledge to recreate a pumpkin mask we better stay at home and let other avatars from other planets take over and save novia.

I would love some fictional reason explaining our limited memory.

That would be the idea to solve it.

Maybe our skills and soul and character is transferred but our learned knowledge is adjusted to the current knowledge of novia

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

If according to Lore, humans came from World of Warcraft, ok, ya got me... but... they didn't. Ive not seen any earth cultures who wear flaming pumpkin heads in their leisure time.

This is not a crack at the masks... this whole "they brought their culture" argument is ridiculous.

The masks exist because its a game and sometimes you need to cut loose from the norm and have some no rules fun in a game.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well and more broadly because part of the story is about avatars from Earth coming in and changing Novia, including adapting kobold technology to things they were used to back home. That was the origin of the original steampunk idea.

They're still going to do some of that steampunk stuff, but I think the devs decided after a lot of the criticism on the forums that they'd approach it circumspectively, bringing it into the game more slowly and with more thought. I think some of the people complaining in this thread would welcome the same approach with Earth customs; if they were recognized in the game, but introduced in a more circumspect way where it had less impact on the overall game atmosphere.

8. Drocis the Devious

You haven't heard of Halloween?

9. Drocis the Devious

It's not limited memory. It's limited the way new Britannia works.

10. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

You always have the last word Baron. Grin.

I officially take the challenge. I will keep responding to you until you give up. ( please make bets, i might regret this)

No. Brittania is a planet very close to earth. We have all the resourced required to recreate everything from earth.

Your turn.

11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

Google pumpkin mask. You get more hits for carvings and women's facial products than you do Halloween masks.

"Culture" is not exclusive to what you saw on a cartoon about one specific character (headless horseman) back in grade school.

I love you but you're sooooo reaching here.

12. Drocis the Devious

We don't have the resources because NB works differently. That's where your argument fails. If you want to build a car, you might not be able to because in NB it may not be possible.

13. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Of this mask specifically, I think it feasible an Avatar can bring in their traditions from Earth and celebrate Halloween with a pumpkin.

It is also possible that Avatars from before The Fall influence New Britannia by bringing in aspects of Earth culture in the past, however that culture would have evolved to mix with native New Britannia culture (hence the holidays in my book submission).

But while I may defend a pumpkin mask, I do agree in general that it seems like we're making New Britannia TOO MUCH like Earth and perhaps we should pull back on that a bit. I want to embrace a bit what makes New Britannia unique.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not going to read the entire thread when I can guess the bulk of both sides. Just going to say my peace and be done with it.

This is worse than santa hats! Sorry I know the fund the game excuse and I don't buy it. They can just as easily add lore-friendly masks and other items to accomplish the same goal. I loathe the gimmicky aspect of Earth-holiday items. They've got sod all to do with the world they're being placed in and they annoy me. They just scream "yeah you're in a game". It's a slap in the face back to reality and you don't really have any choice to be able to avoid it except to play single player which is all the more annoying. Being unable or unwilling to come up with something lore friendly just lacks creativity and drive.

Also..to comment on one of the few posts I did read.. to purchase this stuff for the expressed purpose of going out your way to annoy the "immersion police" is quite a rude way to spend your money. Some people want to be immersed in the game. Is that so wrong? I'm not saying everyone should care but if you don't then it shouldn't be a big deal should it?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Epona, rune_74, wagram and 1 other person like this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

I'm being serious. I'm not trying to say that wearing pumpkin masks is somehow akin to wearing a suit to an interview or wearing black at a funeral. But people wear all kinds of masks at Halloween...

The devs didn't make every kind of mask for Halloween, you got em! But pumpkin masks are every bit as immersive as any other mask.

16. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm glad I saw this thread.

I didn't realise this stuff had been added...........just purchased a load of it............loving the headless mask :)

When it comes to the addon store it seems people either scream pay to win or immersion breaking.............I dunno maybe people just need to lighten up a bit and have some fun.

17. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I do agree that someone going out of their way to intentionally disrupt immersion and RP is rude.

If you come across that (someone running around in the Pumpkin mask in June for no reason and doing random emotes in the middle of your RP), I'd just respond to them in character. Express how juvenile it comes across, ignore them and then continue the rest of your RP.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How many unknown light years do you consider to be "very close"? There is no evidence to suggest Earth is "close" to New Britannia.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

-iron ore (for steel) - Ok
    -aluminum and petroleum (used in plastics production) for the vehicle body, powertrain components and wheels. - ok
    -copper for the alternator and starter - ok
    -platinum and palladium for the catalytic converter - ok
    -rubber for tires
    Will check how tires are made.
    -petroleum for polyester for cloth seats and headliners - ok
    -animal hides for leather seats - ok
    -lead, nickel or lithium for batteries - ok

Yes. A car can be made!
    Written 3 Nov, 2013

20. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

You guys are funny. :) In before the lock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.