Immersion Breaking Jack O' Lantern Mask

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razimus, Oct 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    :D

2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I think it is clear that immersion isn't important to some and important to others.

By what has been released so far it is clear it isn't that much of a concern for the game in general. That ship has sailed as Budner has said.

It's ok to weigh in on both sides, but literally the rules have been broken in this thread by labeling sides and degrading peoples opinions.

To me it looks like some are trying to get this thread closed, like they have done in the past.

I don't like the fact that peoples opinions are ignored or out right mocked in this thread.

Alexander and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Moving spells around isn't the same as changing established lore. Neither is adding lore to explain Ogres (note that the original lore didn't change). So let me ask you this. Do you honestly believe they're going to change or add lore to include flaming horse head masks? How about headless masks?

Also, Elves as a playable race is not a change in lore. Mechanics yes.. lore no. Unless of course you're rigidly adhering to the notion that ALL Avatars absolutely must be from Earth and therefore couldn't possibly be elves. (Which I have never subscribed to from Day 1)

I'm not going to insist that all lore must be perfect but I'm also not going to just accept that anything is possible on the very slight chance that just maybe the Devs will completely overhaul a major piece of lore some day just before launch. I will decide how adaptable I want to be when and IF they actually adapt the lore to include things that otherwise make no sense. Until then I will stick to what I know and what makes the most sense to me.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

He cares about whether is beer is watered down or not I guess :)

5. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Adding a school of magic would change the lore. See that ancient magic symbol on the floor? We'll just rub that out and redraw it to include other schools, and the relationship between all of the schools. That's a lore change. Call it game mechanics and deny it's a lore change if you want. It's still a change in the lore.

I don't think they're going to add or change lore to explain masks. I also assert that they do not break immersion. They exist, and therefore they are now part of the lore of the world, whether they're explained or not. What breaks immersion is people not accepting what Portalarium has added to the game.

Adding elves as a playable race was a change in the lore. The original vision was that avatars were humans from Earth only. That was changed. I accepted that change. But I recognize that it was a change. Who cares if you didn't subscribe to it in the beginning? That was the vision Richard had, and eventually changed because of pressure from some players and some team members. It was still a change in the lore.

Adapt your view, or don't. I don't care. Portalarium will continue to change lore to make things fit, whether you accept it or not.

6. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Anyone wearing or using most of the add on store item or listening to a radio , would soon find themselves tied to a stake and not just their silly hat would be burned.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  7. Selene

Selene Avatar

Is this a witchcraft reference? because I would think the magic users would be in more danger than someone in a funny hat. And since this game isn't burning mages at the stake, I think I am safe to wear my riding outfit with impunity.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Adding a school doesn't change the entire magic system or how the magic system works. So add schools or move spells around.. is not a significant change to explain stuff like flaming horse heads.

Doesn't that make your original position a bit moot? As the premise of things will change to adapt to masks? (paraphrasing obviously)

For you perhaps. What makes absolutely no sense for the world breaks immersion for me.

I find it highly unlikely that someone is going to come up to you in-game and complain about the masks. What I accept or not shouldn't mean anything to your sense of immersion.

Example of contradicting lore if you ask me. Funny as I'm listening to the hangout right now and Lum just said they're coming from the Ultima background.. and Ultima lore has travel between many worlds. Besides.. vision is not the same as lore. But this is getting really off topic but it's funny you're the one saying 'adapt your view'.. I've adapted quite a bit according to what makes the most sense to me.. but you're holding pretty tightly to what you understand Portalarium to be saying.

But I think we've exhausted this. We're not going to agree obviously.

9. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I think the pumpkin head should make you immune to zombie agro, like in Minecraft.

galdrmadhr likes this.
  10. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Hey guys, its Friday! Everyone take a 2 hour pause on the merry-go-round and relax, have some fun, Drink a little drink!

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  11. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

24 hours a day 7 days a week players wearing pumpkin heads. That's what breaks immersion. The year round aspect. It's like someone having X-mas lights on year round. It gets old.

[​IMG]

12. Sir Frank

Did you get to the part where they corrected that and said they couldn't possibly be based on Ultima because they don't own the rights?

I don't use magic, so I might get the details wrong, but there's a light spell that makes a ball of light that circles your head and doesn't do any damage, right?
    There must also be a spell that our primitive avatar minds haven't discovered yet that makes the light take the form of flame and attaches to an object. There must be such a spell, because we have flaming coconuts and flaming horse head masks, and flaming pumpkin masks. Immersion preserved, whether Portalarium makes that spell available to players or not.

And about that light spell. Is it sun or fire magic? If it's sun, is it weaker at night when you need it, and stronger in the day when you don't?
    Or, if it's fire, why doesn't it burn you?

Yeah, I don't trust magic.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

*Offers Sir Frank an ale* The workday is done, lets relax!

14. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

Some people have REALLY good imaginations, and can spend Hours on end in a game and get totally immersed in what they are doing to the point that they can become completely oblivious to the fact that they are just sitting at the computer. I found Smoking green paraphernalia really sucked me into the story when I was a teenager. Now adays without the smoking I can still get lost in a really good story, be it book or a video game and loose track of where I actually am.

On the topic though. Pumpkin heads don't bug me. I just wont get one myself. Everyone else that wants one? good on them, but they are just too... "cliche" for me. Every MMO out there now adays has friggen pumpkin heads and sells em like they are unique idea's. No thx not for me :) I like the headless one though.

oh god... MY IMMERSION!!

majoria70 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  15. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

NO heresy in going against the NEW BRITTANNIAN CULTURE.

DIC: Heresy
    any belief or theory that is strongly at variance with established beliefs, customs, etc.

16. Sir Frank

Says the zombie.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I just want everyone to be a bit happier, so I am trying to spread cheer! :) If you where sitting next to me I would hand you an ale!

18. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

None of that makes those and many more items relevant or worthwhile in a story driven RPG MMO.

19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

Those Monthy Pyton should feel warm. They need some bra coconuts!

20. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It is rather disappointing and a bit telling that some would purchase them just to rub it in the face of those in game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.