2 servers 2 choices

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Brink1123, Oct 17, 2015.

?

Should there be two different servers for pvpers and pvers?

1. No. we should all play the same way.

2. Yes. I understand people like to play differently and they should be able to do so with like minded

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I said, "We should all play the same way." Considering this game is 'Selective multiplayer', we all get to play however we want, and like-minded individuals will dynamically be grouped with us. So this debate is a total non-issue.

Unless you're trying to make the story part of the game playable without doing PvE, which doesn't make any sense at all. SotA is a single-player, story driven game, with multiplayer capability for a player-driven economy. It is and always will be both. So lets just all get along! :D

Sir Cabirus and Logain like this.
  2. Logain

Logain Avatar

If you had spent the time that you put into posting how bad the future of SotA is going to turn out because you won't be able to grief others spent researching the feature and it's planned implementation, you'd already know the answer.

It depends what you expect to find.

You're not going to see a revival of the days in Ultima Online where you had plenty of players 'forced' to be your victims, simply because they had no other choice ('no similar game to play'). They now have an option of never being bothered by you. Which is great for them and tough luck for you, but you said you wanted to live with the consequences of your actions and there you are.

On the positive side for you, if you are brave enough to actually give it a try instead of bashing it on the forums, you're going to find yourself in a world full of threats at every step and around every corner. Simply because by filtering players that meet your preferred play-style, you are automatically on a 'PvP server', without being on a PvP server. The only occasion where you're going to see people who are not flagged for PvP is if there aren't enough PvP players, or if the friend system overrules the PvP status. And having enough PvP players is partly your responsibility as well. The more you bash the game in it's pre-alpha state, the less PvP players you are going to find when it launches. You are effectively hurting yourself.

Amusingly enough, SotA's way to handle this is brilliant, since it gives the PvP player the very best outcome they could achieve (without hurting the PvE player). Instead of having an either or choice and hence drastically reducing the amount of PvE players that are going to give that a try, they are constantly offered inventive to join you! If they want the best possible resource yield per time, or if they decide to try their luck on a contraband run, or if they want to steal a machine part for their town, whatever it may be, you automatically end with people playing the way you want, but to their conditions. Choice matters and has consequences, like you claim you desire.

3. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That thread was so hard to read... there is so much wrong it would be hard to reply...

People cite the wonderful matching system as a remedy to all our pains... this is ridiculous.

It dosen't work and even if it did, the "market" will be flooded with items from people who beat the game "the easy way" with no bandit lurking around the corner... no major item sink (people can repair their magic unlootable armor)...

So yea the server with match me blind date style... then I can be proud to be a pvp player... but thats it. Will I and other pvpers do it just for pride ? 0_0

Thats ALL YOU GUYS GOT ?!

It seems to me like nobody understand the GOAL of segregating players on a siege perilous... which is by the way King Gariott's idea...

4. Mata

Mata Avatar

The Question:
    Should there be two different servers for pvpers and pvers?

My Answer:
    No. One world for all!

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

One religion for all ! one money for all !!!

Yay... yes please implant me with that chip ! Where ? my right hand of course !

Sorry Mata... I know you're a sweet person no pun really intended... but you could have just voted...

Brink1123 likes this.
  6. Mata

Mata Avatar

It is not about religion, it's about a game that should make us all fun.
    Sorry, I have expressed myself wrong, it should say server and not world.

SotA has no religion.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  7. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I know dear... my goal wasn't to insult you I was just referring the bible because its prophetic that people who have lost their intuition and soul would ask for a ONE world religion with a ONE world banking system hehe...

Its also a known internet joke about the conspiracy theories... :p

Maybe you know George Orwell's animal farm ? same thing...

The problem if we're to stay constructive is that even with all the best intentions in the world, this unified system is HARMFUL and it harms the most vulnerable in the most insidious way.

SotA has no religion... exept chaos religion... exept oracle religion... exept virtues... exept exeptions I guess :p

8. Mata

Mata Avatar

No worries, I feel not insulted. ;)

Real chaos?
    I am the real chaos. :p ;)

Sir Cabirus and Senash Kasigal like this.
  9. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I can confirm that. :D
    *sich duckt und schnell davon rennt*

Sir Cabirus, Miracle Dragon and Mata like this.
  10. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

hahaha... well I sure hope the game mechanics give you the option of being what you want.

Me... well :(

I'll never be "myself" in this game as it is... it will become a very expensive "second life"... which is just there for show...

Mata likes this.
  11. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I think my main problem here isn't my wishes... its because I think that way BECAUSE of ultimas... BECAUSE of King Gariott's philosophies, virtues etc...

I've learned to stay such a sceptic when I hear the word "avatar" because descended from heaven dosen't necessarly mean "angel"...

12. Mata

Mata Avatar

Komm du mir mal nach Hause...
    *Bratpfanne [​IMG] und Nudelholz [​IMG] bereit hält* :p :D ;)

13. Mata

Mata Avatar

I think so! ;)
    I play myself, this can I best.

14. Logain

Logain Avatar

I certainly hope it doesn't work yet, because it hasn't been implemented yet! If it would work before it was implemented... that'd either be a massive bug, or the revolution of the machines.
    If you meant it's not going to work as in the future when it's implemented, then I'd say, why shouldn't it?

That certainly is a concern. Fortunately, there's reward for your risk. You benefit from a higher resource yield from Shardfalls, you benefit from additional sources of income such as contraband runs and you can manage to obtain specific PvP rewards. If the balance is right, then you'd be off no worse and no better than the average 'PvE' player.

Have you even played SotA yet? If you are wearing the pledge reward gear and challenge a player who's wearing the better crafted gear you won't stand a chance unless your skills are really, really superior. An additional 20 strength, intelligence, a good deal of bonus damage or bonus damage resistance can really turn the tables on a fair fight.

I don't know about you, but I'm certainly going to.

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

And the "PvP should control the economy" creeps it's way back in.

16. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

Unfortunately don't agree with you, this game is in a pre alpha state. This feedback that were creating right now will allow this intelligent development team to come up with a solution that works for gamers. Just because this isn't your similar vision doesn't mean that they couldn't add a hardcore PvP server to the repertoire. And again it's not about, it's about competitively playing your character in a way that allows you to continuously improve and play the game long past every quest social event and crafting. Letting the game still have purpose.

17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

There will be no servers in this game. They don't need them since instead of servers they filter the amount of people in a scene or instance and they also filter who sees who based on other variations of selection. If that changes I would be surprised.

Sir Cabirus, Logain and enderandrew like this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Only a few things are set in stone. Other things are logical contradictions. Like going north, once you are going north, going south would not be logical unless there is a desire for direction change.

The direction of SotA does not support a separate server.

Logain likes this.
  19. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Agreed.

Part of the promise to people who bought houses or towns is that they are visible to all online players and there are no split servers. Going back on that promise could be costly.

And frankly there is no benefit to splitting the servers. We saw that was a disaster in UO and as much as people say they want open PvP where people don't have to opt-in/consent, and full loot, almost no one played on those servers in UO and then they had no other players to engage in PvP with. Splitting players makes PvP worse for the PvP players.

There are other compromises out there. We have guild wars where both guilds can attack each other at will. There are open PvP towns and maps. If you want open PvP and you think a split server is the solution (because you just want to focus on open PvP with people who want that) then hang out on an open PvP map.

How is a split server better in any way? It is worse in every way.

Sir Cabirus, Heradite and Logain like this.
  20. Soulicide

Soulicide Avatar

It seems that you believe there is a problem where there is not one. Therefor there is nothing to find a solution to. I recommend playing the game after Oct 29th after the wipe occurs, leveling your character some and then go flag yourself for PvP. The first couple of weeks following a new release is the time period when the game is at it's height of activity. I would be surprised if you didn't find yourself challenged frequently by some of the more experienced PKers in the community. By challenged, I mean adding your bones and skulls to their collection. :p If you tell us your in-game name...we will be happy to ensure you have an authentic PvP experience...

Logain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.