Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Disapointed in how bright night is now

Discussion in 'Release 27 Feedback Forum' started by fireflygirl, Feb 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireflygirl

fireflygirl Avatar

I am not sure what changed since last patch, but the night in the West Ravenwood feels just like just dusk. Before the patch it was much darker, to the point that with out a light source you real could not see. I really loved that, a truly dark night in an RPG, it makes night more scary because you did not know what was lurking in the darkness, it also made torches/ light and night sight spells useful. I did find the light spell needed some to have a wider AOE so I was happy to hear about that change, it just seems pointless now. If you can see just as far with out the spell as with it what is the point. I am a night sight user and I was so impressed playing the last patch when I would you night sight and it would slowly start taking effect as objects of in the distance appeared, it felt like it was really doing something. now I don't bother, the green overlay is annoying and I don't have to remember to cast it and I can see just as far and well with out it. I really hope this is just a result of changing the sky in all the instances in the vale and the brightness just has not been properly adjusted yet.

2. Karuson

Karuson Avatar

If you read the patch notes they did change the lighting. Theres an option in your settings to lower it

3. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

My only real issue with the previous "night" was it was too dark for folks with vision problems. I tend to have to have gamma cranked on things due to eyesight, and then the glare and haze gets to where it's extremely annoying. If you have a torch or light spell, you should be able to see more than your hand's length from your face :p

gracy, Chatele, Elwyn and 9 others like this.
  4. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

Well they upped the light effects from lights. .and made the nights brighter.. bit overkill.. I enjoyed the nights before.. nighttime should be dark..

5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Nothing more pathetic than a magically infused immortal oracle protected avatar getting lost because he can't see at night even with a torch and a light spell.

Most of the nights I just stopped playing and waited until it passed. Even with moon magic... it was so bad that I actually didn't even care about the bonuses.

Now if the spells were actually working that would be another story.

But we can't really complain here, the devs are listening to feedback, this is probably just a kneejerk reaction and will be reajusted in the future.

6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i think they over compensated a little but last release was to much, I'd have been ok with the darkness had torches light spells and night vision made a difference but they didnt. there is also the issue of night vision not working on the overland map.

Jivalax Azon and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  7. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

lightspells are obsolete right now, imho

Miracle Dragon and Fox Cunning like this.
  8. cariac

cariac Avatar

No more dark night :(

Chatele and Miracle Dragon like this.
  9. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Don't dramatize :p balance takes time... it seems your feedback is what models the pipeline, so just give your feedback, but be constructive, say how much darker you'd like it etc...

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Call me crazy but I actually liked that aspect of the game. If its a new moon, you had to be damn careful about the coming night lest you risk running in circles with a literal mob of monsters behind you, just hoping you'd come across an exit point. And like you I would often find something else to do during that time... but I considered it to be a more realistic aspect of game play.

11. Quenton

Quenton Avatar

What setting do you have your brightness turned to? Light levels look a lot better to me now. I'll post screenshots later.

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

@Dirk Hammerstrike Yea I totally agree, I like that effect, sometimes... but there is a glow to stars, and our avatars are magically infused, if I'm journeyman in moon magic in teh middle of a "barely forest", then I expect even at resting level to have an advantage there, especially if I use a torch or glowing items.

But thats the thing, everytime I want to talk bout those more complex subjects, I'm blocked by forum rules, I start to self-censor.

I want a game to have roleplay, to be dynamic in the sense that if a player with high death magic and high attunement to chaos comes, that I could have a subtle effect creeping in as he approaches. I'd even accept to the point of automatically receiving debuffs from his presence, especially if I have not detected his magic or disguise.

But that can't only be tied into game mechanics without some effort being done to balance and moderate which technically portalarium can't afford *yet*, hence why I have stopped petitioning for a more human based siege perilous type of mirror plane where the storyline is much slowed down along with progression and material availability. People have been telling me I'm wrong both in PMs and on the forum but this isn't about me, thats how D&D worked, thats how Tolkien and Tracy Hickman/Margaret Weis wrote the fantasy of legend.

Hence why we're swigning like a wild pendulum... even to the point of forgetting... thats my job and it has been for a long time, to see the beauty of people sneezing because they overload on the perfume of ancient legend. Since going back to the roots is the only way to respect ourselves and to unite the maximum diversity, we must at least emulate to our best.

When Dalamar or Sauron came disguised and fully rested (meaning the had their whole mind full of spells) in a room, everyone lost a little bit of light, their presence were omnipotent in many ways and to do these kind of things into a game you need : good AI, good algo, good aggro, good ago.

Good ago seems to be the squeaky wheel here, it should get much more attention indeed.

But then again, as I was saying, I'm not going to venture into the subject because of specific forum rules preventing me from really talking about this taboo "subject". Which is just in bare words "what I think is cool in roleplaying", and thus "what I think should be cool in roleplaying games".

People quickly tell me I'm wrong but, noone told anyone we were right in calling it a roleplaying game :p

13. agra

agra Avatar

I didn't like being unable to play at night, because it was too dark, both with moon vision or a sun light. Now? It's great. I can play with either, if I'm outside, and I can use a sun light or torch in dungeons.

Great change, and now I can leave my gamma at default.

gracy, Avalord, Retlaw and 13 others like this.
  14. Xenar

Xenar Avatar

+1

Mata, Ice Queen and Solazur like this.
  15. Lace

Lace Avatar

My comment is ffs. It is too dark it is too bright ..... poor devs cannot win.

KuBaTRiZeS, Kara Brae, smack and 8 others like this.
  16. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Didn't you know? All software developers are masochists... they'll be fine ;-)

Mata, uziraff, DarkStarr and 4 others like this.
  17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

rememeber to set your light bar to in the middle instead of maxed :)

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I'm happy with it now. It was too dark before.

19. Ayreon2

Ayreon2 Avatar

I must admit that I like it way better this way.
    When it started to transfer to night time I usually stopped with what I was doing and just waited until it got light again :oops:

20. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I like being able to adjust it more now

Mata, Ayreon2 and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.