SotA has to make a tough decision... GO FOR IT!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Isaiah, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

A post was deleted from this thread by insane membrane that wasn't any more trollish than the one from lollie.

Either way I cannot even begin to comprehend why some people get so mad about the element of danger of people being able to attack you. I know we can't force peolpe to do something they don't like, but it's almost like a religious objection. OH PVP NO! Just say pvp and it's an automatic no for some people no compromize at all. That to me is bizarre. I'm not even sure if I will join a PvP guild at some point. It just seems like it makes sense that the natural world would have that element of danger to me.

Mordecai likes this.
  2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

There are people on both sides that can't comprehend the opposing view.

People always point out when I make a bad analogy, and I'm sure this will be no different.

Some people like vanilla ice cream, and some like chocolate ice cream.
    There's nothing wrong with vanilla, and there's nothing wrong with chocolate.
    It's just that people have different tastes.
    Then there is always somebody that feels that ice cream is bad for you, and you should never eat it or let your children eat it.
    Or people that say a little bit now and then is fine, just don't eat too much.

But I've never seen anybody get as dung-flinging mad discussing ice cream as they do when discussing PvP.

There's just no talking to some folks.

3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Well, if we are to go by your analogy Sir Frank, then I can say:
    My PvP is like my ice cream; I like vanilla ice cream with chocolate ice cream swirls mixed in it.

4. Sir Frank

That's a great way to eat ice cream!

5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

it really is odd just how bent out of shape people get over the issue of being able to attack another player, and the many different definitions people use for PvP is really odd. Everybody seems to have their own concept of what player verses player means to them and they can't understand any other view.

One person sees it as it was in UO. Another person sees it as battle grounds. Another sees it as arenas. Other people say they hate arenas and there should never bee arenas. There is no compromise in most of these groups, and it isn't healthy. It's just plain ridged thinking.

That's why I truly believe SotA has to come up with their own terminology and definition, and break the molds.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Don't worry about it. Point out that the only people in SotA who are subject to attack are those who consent to being attacked. If you don't want to be attacked, don't give your consent, and you will never see the people who have consented.

Silent Strider and BillRoy like this.
  7. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

Fixed for you, Isaiah ;)

8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

That's fine. However I still think the idea of also having certain areas where players can attack other players whether there are special resources there or whatever. They can consent to go in to those areas or not just like they can concent to PvP or not.

9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I love the ice cream analogy; it puts things into a childishly simple, but accurate perspective. So, if I may, rather than pick positions and hold to them, can we get some conversation about interests? IE, rather than, do you support PvP, what interests you in PvP/PvE (and what do you want to avoid in the alternative?).

Frank, you seem to be a good rep. for the mature section of the PvE crowd, so could you list what you're interested in in PvE, and what you want to avoid in PvP?

Devoid, you're a preferred PvP-open person (meaning you're ok with some PvP), so can you list what you're interested in in PvP, and what you want to avoid that is in a non-PvP world?

Other PvE/PvP people can chime in too ofc. Also, it is likely that some interests will conflict (IE safety vs risk), but for the love of god, I'd really like to see some common ground interests (in addition to: we all are into SotA) from which we can work out ideas. This forum is littered with polarized PvP vs PvE debate and it hasn't gotten anybody anywhere.

AuroraWR likes this.
  10. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

A more important issue that PvEers should be concerned with is node stealers. It's a game, unless you never leave town you will die...many times. What difference does it make weather it's by a person or monster. Worse than being PK'd, worse than being camped, is being in a PvE environment and standing over a harvestable node while fighting a mob and having some snake come up and gank your node while you are buissy fighting. This is an act of true cowardice, at least in PvP you would most likley be dealt a killing blow when your HP was down and you'd know that you could avenge yourself in the future, but in a PvE world these evil SOBs' just walk away like nothing happened.

For people who like quests this also opens up "personal" quests which can take years to complete...revenge killing. And those quests are the most satisfying of all.

11. Sir Frank

I'm not sure I represent the majority, but I'll tell you how I feel.
    I play games to relax and be amused. I don't need the adrenaline rush PvP adds. I'm solving a puzzle.
    I don't strive to maximize and refine my skills so that I'm more competitive against other players. I let the story evolve, and it is what it is. That usually means that I lose a PVP encounter and if looted, my story is set back however long it takes me to reequip and get back to what I was doing. That makes me sad.
    If I spend time gathering special equipment to defeat a certain monster, I don't want any risk that somebody will take it away from me, and set me back that much time.

That's a good start. More might have to wait until after work.

rild and Beno Ledoux like this.
  12. Sir Frank

Yes! Those people definitely have a special place in Hell reserved for them, and provide another reason solo and friend play appeal to me.

BillRoy and Sir Edreamer _MGT470 like this.
  13. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

Because it's unwanted interaction.

Players make kills more personal than mobs, a mob won't camp your corpse repeatedly/run halfway across a map because they saw your red dot in the radar/use the vomit emote while standing on your bashed in head/take your gear and actually wear it in front of you while doing the timewarp in your general direction/send you annoying pms.

Some people just don't get off on that kind of childish behaviour, and want to run about and choose their fights. Then walk away without someone holding a grudge. Mobs don't hold grudges. Mobs don't cry to their guild because you just killed them.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

If people want to PvP, then they can PvP. I do not think there should be resource areas where PvE members have to be forced into PvP if they want the resouce. That is cheesy game design. PvP players should be content with players who consent to PvP without having to be coerced into doing it.
    Edit: corrected last sentence, as suggested by @AuroraWR

15. Sir Edreamer _MGT470

Sir Edreamer _MGT470 Avatar

I think a reasonable exception would be some sort of Arena area - like the original Everquest had in each city - with a warning countdown when entered

BillRoy likes this.
  16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I'm sorry I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because I think if there are certain resources that are supposed to be difficult to obtain why not have it in a PvP only area? That's my position I stand on it.

17. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Second
    It's the same with RP, or any play style/preference.

Also, I think you meant "... consent to PvP with out having to be coerced..."?

18. MauganRa

MauganRa Avatar

Couldnt agree more...

It would also be good if we could also continue the story of Chaos and Order, or the 4 Factions. Thats what made UO extra fun! Loved stealing that sigal. ;)

Ara likes this.
  19. Zigmalion

Zigmalion Avatar

I have no problems with certain areas being open PvP as long as the areas don't have unique resources that are needed by non-PvPers, and that any quests in those areas produce rewards only of use to PvPers. By doing it that way, people who don't want open PvP are really not missing anything by not straying into those areas. Just like I think a game should not be "pay to win", it should not force "PvP to win" either -- or force PvP in order to experience much of the content that isn't specific to PvPing.

I'm also good with there being more potential rewards in PvP zones to compensate for the added risk, but again, these rewards should not be unique to PvP areas whey are also useful and/or needed by folks who don't want to have anything to do with PvP. Sure, there can be *more* of these resources so farming them can be more productive and/or lucrative, but they should not be found *only* in PvP areas.

BillRoy and vjek like this.
  20. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

The entire world should be accessible, one does not pay for a game where you have full access to everything except zone a, and city b simply because their play style and their magicpvpsliderbarthingy(TM) doesn't allow it.

That is not an "open world."

Ziggy, I do agree with your unique resource comment, all resource nodes should be 100% randomly generated, there should be no static nodes/areas for resources at all.
    X

BillRoy, skinned and Umbrae like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.