R29 postmortem saddened by...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g04tn4d0

g04tn4d0 Avatar

Pensacola, Florida, Earth, Dimension C-137
    Permanent weapon damage? Nope! Nope! Wear and tear reversible by a PC blacksmith that I pay? I'm fine with that!

StarLord, Dantuin, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  2. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I've done this a number of times in pre-alpha with stuff like augmented plate - it's cheaper just to buy a complete new set than it is to buy enough repair kits to fix the existing set. If repair kits were more expensive then the same logic would apply to theoretically (but currently not actually) more expensive crafted gear.

What if you could reforge the parts? e.g. you could reforge a sword blade into a dagger blade and retain the special effect but if you reforge into another sword blade you have to add metal ingots and the effect is diluted.

3. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

In order to prevent blacksmiths from becoming repair bots you need to make repairs progressively MORE expensive. Ultimately, when a sword has been destroyed enough times, it should require another comparable sword and a repair kit (reforge) to fix it again.

REPAIR KITS ARE BORING!

/edit: Repair kits should generally be for the field only and they should apply a progressive durability hit. Once an items durability has made it useless, it should require a full reforge in order to bring it back to new.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    Aimend, Kaisa, Phredicon and 4 others like this.
  4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Color me excited.

Acred, SeleneNoctua and PK U like this.
  5. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I really hope this is what we end up with.

Moiseyev Trueden and Moonshadow like this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

I would expect that the more epic and unique the item, the more skilled the repair and maintenance required. I think we'd all be fine with a sufficiently skilled blacksmith being able to maintain a weapon or armour to an extent that was practically indistinguishable from forever, but it's not OK for it to be possible for any player to be able to do that with no skill and 100g repair kits.

As someone who's bought quite a lot of indestructible crafting tools I would be OK with the same rules applying to that sort of thing (once we can craft our own tools), though some store credit compensation might be reasonable.

7. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

The danger of this is that new item sales would be in jeopardy. There needs be a reason for people to stock their vendors with new items. By having a system that requires a new comparable item in order to fix the old, you create the need for crafters.

Aimend, Kaisa and SeleneNoctua like this.
  8. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If crafters make money with their skillset, does it matter if the income comes from new items or repairs?

And with PvP players losing their gear, and people constantly advancing new characters, there will always be a demand for new items as well.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  9. Selene

Selene Avatar

This would be true if we had level requirement gear, which we don't (nor do I want it). When you can wear your "best set" at any level it drastically reduces demand unless there is a reason to replace the (perfect) gear.

Aimend, Kaisa, PK U and 1 other person like this.
  10. Malcipher

Malcipher Avatar

the other thing to note is the 2 skills in the tactics tree to help slow the damage to durability which would bring value to those skills as well

11. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Yes it does matter. In fact, it matters A LOT. You want to encourage people to roam around the map rummaging through vendors. Your method will encourage everyone to have a repair bot ult while marginalizing the worlds vendors.

Aimend, Kaisa, PK U and 1 other person like this.
  12. warxnox

warxnox Avatar

I did'nt understood that part.

Do you mean that Monsters will not loot players stuff ? That is one of the very original/innovative idea that drive me into SotA so I hope I did not understood you well.

13. Aribeth

Aribeth Avatar

My take on this problem:
    Allow gear to brake.
    Broken gear should not be able to repaired.
    Broken gear should be able to be reforged using the same original materials with a chance to fail and lose those materials. Success rate should depend on crafter abilities.
    Reforged gear retain the "history" of the item.

This would be a good compromise, a reforged item could cost a lot more than a brand new one.

Without a system like this, Narsil would not be reforged into Andúril and Sauron would not be defetead.

14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

so, under this proposed breakage system, where doing crafters making things like home decor factor into this? is that stuff going to break too? otherwise i see a huge advantage to certain crafters, are houses going to break too?

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Items have to break eventually - HAVE TOO, if thy do not thre is NO market for crafted items.

If they leave items so they last forever it is a waste of time to even attempt to be a crafter, other than making requested items and then nothing but repair kits.

Weak, Weak, Weak, to leave them indestructible.

16. Selene

Selene Avatar

Carpenters and tailors who make deco items can also use those same skills to make bows, shields, and light armor. It actually helps those people by supplementing their income.

17. Vasflam2

Vasflam2 Avatar

Repairing items should work similar to the following:

In order to repair the Sword of Awesomeness to 95% of NEW you need:

a. A comparable new Sword
    b. A GM Repair Smith
    c. Top Level Tools/Forges etc..
    d. A repair Kit (tax)
    e. A FAILED random dice roll

In order to repair the Sword of Awesomeness to 100% NEW you need:

a. All of the above except a SUCCESSFUL random dice roll of 100%

IF you fail to bring the sword back to the level you want, you can always try again but it will require all new consumables.

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  18. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

That is actually one of the things that crafters of those items have been asking for. I understand the argument in both directions. Crafters complain about not being able to craft gear and make money from it, however, supposedly any unsold gear is supposed to be sold to "NPC" for populating the loot table. If only players are purchasing stuff all loot tables will be empty.

Ice Queen and Moonshadow like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

You could sell me on this, but i am only talking about smithing atm.

20. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Anyone who thinks people are talking about furniture are way out of bounds and know it. We are talking about used items that take normal wear a tear thru use during play, not a chair . . . .

Kaisa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.