1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You keep saying you do not want to go pay to win yet to take an item that was supposed to be very rare, and a server controlled item to ensure it rarity and now I buy 200. That is pay to play, sorry. Katrina and Noric and ALOT of others are exactly right this is the start of pay to play, plain and simple. :confused:

More tax free lot not pledge related, items that are critical to the game for real life money in the add on store. and like ice queen and other already hinting at when will there be resource packs. Monthly Crown fees . . . . you started this it will never end now :(

Sorry if you all are not liking the response but what did you expect.

this is pay to win all the way.

2. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

^^^ THIS!!

*sadly shaking my head*

3. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Just semantics here, but Pay to Win means you reinvest money for power.

Buy to Play generally refers to the classic model where you buy the game once and play without having to pay again.

When you say to Pay to Play you may be confusing terms. It seems like you're upset this is Pay 2 Win.

4. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

like you said semantics, you know exactly what was meant. But I will go and change it

Beno Ledoux and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  5. Noric

Noric Avatar

There are also games that limit how much you can do unless you pay for boosts. I believe something like Hearthstone would be a fair example.

Pay to play is the term im using for this.

KuBaTRiZeS, Abydos and Matheryn like this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Yea theres no way for me to defend the P2W senerio, might as well embrace it.

I want a few things, boat fishing, treasure hunting, stealing, sos bottles, necromancy etc. For my troubles :)

Last edited: May 27, 2016
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

If they were selling combat bonuses, ok sure.
    If they were making people obtain Obsidian Crowns in the add-on store only (and not in-game) sure.

But they're not doing either of those things. This isn't pay2win!!!11!!!11. This is TIME = MONEY. There's a balance. What some people want is for TIME to be the only way to obtain anything of value because they either don't have money or don't want to spend money. Presumably they have TIME though.

Well I work a lot of hours and have a family. So I'm all for the time = money model. Otherwise I'd just get owned by people that have an endless amount of time while I spend money to fund the game. That's not any more fair than pay2win would be, which is why we should celebrate this balanced compromise. TIME = MONEY, exactly as it should.

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I'm gonna go set up shop right now to craft Obs Crowns since this is after all a totally player driven economy etc etc blah blah blah

/s

Matheryn, Moonshadow and Weins201 like this.
  9. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

I have not seen such un uproar since the "Reticle" Bebocle, but at least that was fixable, this just plain out broke the game.

10. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

So if i spend a $1000 on these coins, use that as in game gold to buy the best gear from the best smiths to kill the best mobs isnt p2w?

Im jot flipping out over this system by they way,im just calling it what it is.

11. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm not saying such models can't be balanced... But are you telling me you can't "win" in a sandbox game without engaging in combat?

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Currently, NPC's will buy Obsidian Crowns for 2500 gold.

When players attempt to jack up the price of Obsidian Crowns in-game for 20-25k (as they are right now) that will drive players to BUY THEM from the store. Which in effect will drive the price of coins down in the in-game player market. Eventually a price will be reached somewhere between what the NPC will pay for it (2500 gold) and what players are selling it for. If the devs need to they can raise this price to help undercut the in-game market.

The bottom line is, if you have crafted gear that you make (which has nothing to do with Obsidian Crowns) you can either get gold to buy crowns in game or sell the directly for crowns yourself without EVER buying them from the add-on store.

The player economy is completely in tact, for those that understand it.

13. Drocis the Devious

You have to think a few moves in advance, my friend.

Leelu likes this.
  14. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

@DarkStarr As long as these are easily obtained in-game with some time I'm ok with this. I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of clothing or decoration item subscriptions or monthly add-on bundles with these items as well (assuming variations of them were in-game and craftable to increase economy and crafting). These items would, of course only look cool and not any states but I'm not opposed to them being able to have stats added to them. I do think that ANY AND ALL items should be able to have stats added to them with super rare materials and GMed skills. This way the cool looking items can be bought but hard work is required to make them as good as other crafted items in the game. I feel that this is a balanced way to make money, increase craftable items in the game, and get the economy flowing more!

Hornpipe likes this.
  15. Drocis the Devious

No, I'm telling you that there's a player economy and TIME = MONEY.

Sean Silverfoot, Mandalar and Leelu like this.
  16. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

If this SOTA Crown system is P2W so too is every other MMO I can think of from EVE Online to ESO and all the others. In each of those games I can spend money to obtain an item in game and sell the in game item for in game currency and subsequently buy the best of the best for cash.

This is the nature of the MMO business. The only way to avoid is not to play any of them. Also stay away from MOBAs, FPS, and lots of other games that sell DLC for cash and the DLC is usually the best item until the next DLC is released.

17. Noric

Noric Avatar

If economic success in the player economy can be purchased with dollars - how can you define that as anything except pay to win?

I'm not saying the sky falls with controlled pay to win... But im going to call a spade a spade.

18. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Can these coins be placed on a table or into stacks eventually? Decoration items I mean?

19. Selene

Selene Avatar

I would say my main problem with this system is the golden crown sellable for gold at an NPC vendor thing. On one hand, we have all these "gold sinks" in game deigned to prevent inflation and reduced ability to sell drops for gold to vendors in the name of "player driven economy" but on the other side Port is "printing money" for cash. Take out the ability to sell golden crowns to vendors for cash, and I think you have a good thing going! Players will set a good selling price for these on their own without flushing extra gold into the system.

KuBaTRiZeS, saesa, Abydos and 11 others like this.
  20. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

games come and go, if i need to sell my stuff and move on i will, and so will many others, i personally have lost faith in mmo's, sota was my last hold out.

saesa, Abydos, Matheryn and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.