1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noric

Noric Avatar

Crafters that gather even some of their own materials lose out and gatherers that don't buy potions lose out.

There is no such thing as a "nobody loses" situation when some subset of the activities of a game are more efficient for a subset of players that pay in cash.

That is not to say that Port might not be able to get this model to work - but they are going to step on a hell of a lot of toes in the process.

Matheryn, Solazur and syxs like this.
  2. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The recent change to NPC resale value has significantly reduced the Crowns viability as a source for gold income. It's certainly not zero, but someone would have to spend $3400 to make 1 million gold through Gold Crowns by selling to NPC vendors.

3. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

That's just right now - what Chris said in his previous post was that he wanted the players to establish the Gold Crown's in-game price. I don't know how to talk about it since there are just too many variables and unknowns to consider at this point... but you can expect that the economy will value Gold Crowns very highly. Crafters will want them to remain expensive so they can compete... Gold farmers will want them to remain expensive so they can undercut the add-on store... Folks using them to buy gold won't care because they'll just get them wherever they are the least expensive. So, you can bet they'll be worth a lot once the economy kicks off.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
    KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're ignoring macro economic realities. Supply and Demand. In real life there are fishing boats that go faster and haul more, yet there are still people that make a great living off of fishing in small boats. Buyers will find sellers, sellers will find buyers, the invisible hand will overcome whatever small micro economic outliers you're talking about in the system they've defined.

Because when you root or daze someone they stop sprinting? Because if someone is running away from you they can't also be killing you?

Siriustar and Jarl Atogrim like this.
  5. Noric

Noric Avatar

Odds are 2500 gold per was probably never going to less than the market rate for crowns anyway. While it is a good thing to make it a very bad idea to NPC sell Crowns(because that CREATES gold, not just gives the seller gold), this solution has nothing to do with the ability to have gold income from crowns.

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

1) since gold crowns are bought outside the game and delivered to players, they are universal. What the player market does is largely up to them. I expect there will be fairly standard pricing in high traffic towns and steals in the wilderness. Also, one thing that hasn't been talked about much is that there are 8 coins. The gold coin is the universal coin that merchants will trade for any coin. Coins that drop in the wild are various types and different uses. I expect some coins to be more valuable than others in time.

2) It means that premium currency will drop from pretty much anything at a low rate. Big stuff will drop it more often. The rest of that is just my way of saying we're taking precautions to make sure no one finds an exploit and destroys our game while we sleep! :p

3) When I say "players will set the price" I mean just that. Players putting crowns on vendors will be the real price. Because of the way they drop, there won't be a way to farm crowns more than anything else in game. That said, we fully expect farming to be an issue as it is in every open economy game. We have discussed some options for throttling crown drops for people at the extreme high end of the spectrum. Right now we're just making sure we have metrics to watch and see what goes on.

4) We plan on basing in game drops on server population, not sales.

7. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  8. Drocis the Devious

Chris, will we be able to have our vendors only accept Obsidian Crowns for the items we're selling?

Ice Queen likes this.
  9. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

+1

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  10. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

11. Drocis the Devious

The only time this is not true is when we have rare items that are no longer for sale, and we have a growing player population that increases demand for said items. For example, when all the lot deeds run out, there will be no more for episode I and the prices will skyrocket proportional to our player population.

This is why I'm surprised that the lot deeds are not selling more than they are at the moment. As much as people go crazy for a hat that is rare, just wait until 100k+ players are asking for more housing and there is no more. :)

12. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

That is part of the plan, yes.

13. Noric

Noric Avatar

Glad to see that feature.

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

@Chris so as someone said this was something you said.. could you verify for me.. the current currency we have now will be copper? Please say yes.. or bronze.. that works too. :)

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

[3:07 PM] Atos: Post July currency will change to physical objects with tiers
    [3:09 PM] Atos: Current gold will become copper coins. Silver and gold coins will be order of magnitude more value

:D

16. Womby

Womby Avatar

I'm more of a carewombat. There are no bears in Australia (koalas are not bears).

17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

HA! Well I suppose there wasn't any point in doing it until now.. but I would've loved to have had this verified sooner. My weekend has been made. Thank you.

Time Lord and Sara Dreygon like this.
  18. Kensing Ton

Kensing Ton Avatar

<gone...>

19. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

Because to fight in the bests hunts and for you to have any fun whiles doing so, you have to have better equipment, than the basic gear. I do not like this tied to crafting either. this should have glorified the craftier. but instead it seems, he has just been taken down a couple notches in some regards.

20. Drocis the Devious

Really good ideas here.

I think the Merchant Store Front Row House (with living quarters on the top floor) would be very well received.

A few ideas to add to this as a bundle:
    • Merchant Scales (can help price your goods based on median regional analysis of what the same item is selling for at other vendors!)
    • Studded Cane (be the envy of other merchants and traders wielding this gem studded can!)
    • Glass Display Case (a display case that can show off what your vendor is selling physically. Linked directly to your vendor)
    • Barking NPC Tax-Free Vendor (Allows you to put in multiple dialogue that your vendor can bark out to passers buy.)
    • Traders Wagon (A mobile vendor capable of moving from town to town and temporarily setting up shop in "trading districts" for a fee).
    @DarkStarr

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.