The Glass is Half Empty - A look inside why people are opposed to Open PvP and Full Loot

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by antalicus, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baene Thorrstad

Baene Thorrstad Avatar

Bloodrock Clan was awesome! Welcome to the community!

And I hope to never see it again like you describe :) I do, however, hope you are able to play the way you want with the people you choose and the rest of us are able to do the same in our own way with the people we choose :)

Veskandar, skinned and Phredicon like this.
  2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

[​IMG]
    Felucca meant I needed help from other players.
    Trammel meant I could do things by myself.
    In the end Felucca was the better game experience, you can find trammel in any other game, I'm hoping they bring back a mode like Felucca.

TigerKhan, MagiK and TemplarAssassin like this.
  3. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Bloodrock Clan was inspiration for many many guilds throughout all games. I really hope we see some Bloodrock action in SotA.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  4. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

In other words, seems like Trammel allowed players to actually roleplay what they wanted, rather than what the game forced on them.

On one hand this leads to a less realistic virtual world. Having everyone be heroes damages the believability of the game world to a large degree. It's the kind of issue WoW, and most other current MMOs, have.

On the other hand, I just won't play a game where other players can effectively force me to settle for a lesser role, and I doubt I'm alone in this.

I don't see an easy way out. Going for a believable world by forcing players into the less popular roles, in this age and day, might instead make those players just leave the game and look for greener pastures; allowing players to pick whatever they want results in a completely loopsided role distribution.

The best way to break this circle is perhaps what SC intends to do; that game wants to have many million NPCs acting in believable ways and moving the economy, taking the roles players aren't much interested in, so every player can be above the NPCs and closer to the top. The potential issue is that most of the "prey" is likely to be NPCs, which can be a let down for those players that choose "predator" roles specifically to target other players.

edit:
    And I wish you find in SotA what you want, as long as you acknowledge my freedom to just ignore your clan's existence and play SotA without non-consensual PvP.

5. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I've found that the desire to RP powerful heroes is a kind of fad, all the new, younger gamers go straight to it, but it does tend to burn itself out. Most of the older gamers I know love playing the underdog, I myself usually cripple my characters in some way to render them unable to lead. Or sometimes to be able to function alone.

Lord Ravnos and AuroraWR like this.
  6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Yay Bloodrock!
    You guys are the best, you and all the other clans I've encountered.
    Also, 10/10 post.

7. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

8. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I think I see what you did there.. ;)

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  9. AuroraWR

AuroraWR Avatar

Some of my favorite RP has come from playing a character who was in a supporting roll and seeing where it goes. In my experience, when in a large group of people who all play more realistic roles with day to day life, things pop up such that everyone has their 'hero' moments... and also their horrible moments. Makes for really interesting RP that is dynamic.

10. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Boy are you in for a disappointment; there will be no mall Santas in this game.

MagiK likes this.
  11. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Perhaps you need a refresher course. :D

12. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I know of (that is of, not personally) MILLIONS who have managed to RP without any form of PvP They came from before a time of Computer RPG's and they existed for a couple of decades AFTER CRPGs were invented....and they still exist today. I will allow that people who wish consensual PvP have a legitimate right to that style, however I will maintain and studies have been done to indicate that those who prefer non consensual PvP are frequently exhibiting sociopathic tendencies....and may in fact need help. Also Anger Management classes may be of use to some of those individuals.

13. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

I like the imagery here :)

14. vjek

vjek Avatar

I'm more of a fan of ..

[​IMG]

15. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Reminds me of something else:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though those are PvE, of course ;)

MalakBrightpalm and AuroraWR like this.
  16. Knasers

Knasers Avatar

I am not sure if this is moving too far from the designers plan but why not have 2 shards? One pve only and one pvp with full loot.

Mordecai likes this.
  17. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I've heard one reason against this to be that the devs don't want to permanently separate players. I agree with the sentiment, but the alternative looks worse. If we have an open slider, then we have a system akin to Felucia/Trammel, which is more accurately defined as Large_Arena/The_World, because all life (minus PvP) will bleed out of any Felucia-like option if a Trammel is also available, to the point that even PvPers have to go to Trammel to suit up just to compete. I know some dislike hearing the 'e' word, but a Trammel option would destroy any chance at a Felucia option having economic independence.

With that said, I'd prefer two shards over a slider system. I'm confident RG could just grab one of the Crystal Swords out of the backers' loot closet and cut the Gem of Immortality in half.

TemplarAssassin and Knasers like this.
  18. Knasers

Knasers Avatar

Yes, I agree. The two shards could have different focuses. Pvp would go along with stealing skills as well as other things while the pve shard would be rainbows and butterflies. We could maybe make some land designated in each town for donaters and if you have donated, you have 6 months to decide where you want your home. It can be switched bach and forth but you can have only one character and he can only be in one world.

19. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

I like this idea a lot. It helps the player separation problem and gives players the freedom to experience both options and make a more informed decision about where they want to play.

We should have rainbows and butterflies in all worlds imo.

20. Knasers

Knasers Avatar

Yes. The more I think about it. The more I like this idea. It would allow for some land to be claimed at the 6 month mark so those who were not able to prior would be still able to get a home.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.