Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Hi, I'm new but keep crashing at 'connecting'

Discussion in 'Release 32 Bug Forum' started by jammaplaya, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

You could try deleting the local files and reinstalling it, Ive had 1 or 2 games in the past that past a validate but still wouldnt work until I deleted local content, and also went into the steam directory ( \Steam\steamapps\common ) and delete
    the folder.

jammaplaya and Time Lord like this.
  2. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome jammaplaya!

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

The issue as you have illustrated with your post here is that because you have a laptop it is unlikely that you have a dedicated videocard. That means that even though you have 6GB of RAM you don't have any additional RAM that would have been on a videocard. What is likely happening to you is that you are simply running out of memory. In order to play the game you will need to upgrade to a system with a dedicated videocard or upgrade your system to more RAM.

4. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Well here is hoping more game optimization helps the laptop people then. With 5 GB usable out of 6, thus 1 GB for VRAM, this game requires more than 5 GB RAM and 1 GB VRAM?

Asclepius and Time Lord like this.
  5. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Locke(d) out of the multiplayer mode, despite a Terra(bit) hard drive, forum users suggest using more RAM(UH) for extended power and memory.

Well at least I've found a suitable avatar for these forums now.

Now if only I had some magicite...

Time Lord and Mykll like this.
  6. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

Something odd, to fit into the video card/RAM issue suggestion, is that when I was running youtube one time when trying to connect, it actually shut the wireless off and I needed to reboot the laptop in order to re-connect to the wifi. So perhaps we are onto something here.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

If you post the exact model of your laptop I can confirm what type of RAM you need, but hard drive space and RAM are very different.

Most of the laptops with your APU use DDR3L-1600 RAM, but I believe that processor supports up to DDR3L-1866.

Most laptops also have two slots for RAM. You probably have a 4GB and 2GB stick of RAM. Here are links for 16GB sets (2 sticks of 8GB) though you could also get a single 8GB stick and put it where your 2GB stick is.

Replacing laptop memory is generally as easy as:

1. Unplugging power supply from all
    2. Removing battery
    3. Waiting 60 seconds and make sure there is no power going through the laptop anymore
    4. Unscrewing one panel to get to the memory
    5. Pulling sticks out
    6. Putting new sticks in

You can get 16GB for $60.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...11&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36

8. enderandrew

And I think the minimum is assuming you have a video card with dedicated video RAM. On a laptop like that, it sets aside PC RAM to use as video RAM, so there may be only 5 GB usable of PC RAM.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

But does it really take more RAM to run the multiplayer mode, compared to the single player mode? Because single player runs fantastically.
    Also, If I play in single player offline mode, will I be able to use that character in the multiplayer once I get it working? If that were the case, at least I could get started.

Time Lord likes this.
  10. enderandrew

The single offline isn't doing instancing, server sync, checking for online lots and decorations, online vendors, chat, updating resource nodes, etc. The online version is much more complex. And I think the only times I've seen that same crash on launch was when someone didn't have enough RAM, which is why I asked if you were running the 32-bit version.

Time Lord likes this.
  11. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

If your CPU is AMD APU, then the issue might be related to Unity and APU compatibility.

Mykll and Time Lord like this.
  12. enderandrew

Then it wouldn't work in single player.

jammaplaya likes this.
  13. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I tried increasing the size of the paging file, but that didn't work either. No apparent change at all, in fact.

I am trying to figure out if RAM is really the issue, which I'm not sure about considering that I'm crashing as soon as I put in the login info, before I even have a chance to create or select a character.

Shouldn't the next screen, the one I'm unable to get to, be the character selection screen? If so, then I'm not sure a lack of RAM would be the problem.

Aside from RAM, I tested everything. Hard drive errors, none. SFC scan to determine if there was a problem with the windows install/system files, which came up short as well.

I've tried all manner of compatibility, running as admin, nothing has changed the crash even slightly, it happens every time. Sometimes it says Login Queue position 1 or something, but then soon after, crashes just the same.

14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Any log file or crash dump on the game folder that could provide further clue? The one from event viewer is very vague.

15. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

I just don't know how to check for crash dumps or logs. Where might I find that?

Steam is how I've installed this time.

16. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

yeah I figured out where to check for dumps and crash logs, and alas there were none I could find.

I should also clarify that I'm not able to play any online modes, just single player offline.

17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Are you on VPN or some kinda firewall? If so, try to get off the VPN and maybe the set firewall rules to make sure certain ports that the game use is being set correctly? (I remembered seeing it in one of the FAQ).

Could also try disable anti virus temporary just to rule out the possible cause?

jammaplaya likes this.
  18. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

did all that yeah. Turned off antivirus, turned off firewall, no VPN.

19. Roycestein Kaelstrom

How about running in compatibility mode?

Do you have any other Unity-based games that have online mode to try as well?

20. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

yeah i've tried compatibility, and nay, I have no other online unity based games. Could you suggest one for me to test? Any that are free?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.