The Glass is Half Empty - A look inside why people are opposed to Open PvP and Full Loot

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by antalicus, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

They just need to figure something out! there is no way they will be able to satisfy everyone(you and i both know that) someone will still complain! With such a small dev team building this game, they should concentrate on getting it working first PVE then use the PVE format to turn into some other thing they want to make it as far as PVP ( i think we all would still play it as long as they said , in the future we will figure something out forPVP) , its kind of like an oil painting after you fill the canvas and make it look good you can go back and tweak and paint other things into the same canvas. Thats just my opinion, and i respect all others opinions even if i dont agree with it. Im not going to degrade anyone for thier opinions!

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

They have figured something out. It's called Selective Multiplayer.

I sympathize with Jack's frustration. Opinions are fine, but it helps if the opinion acknowledges the existing game design. If it doesn't, then the opinion is nonsense.

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I understand what they came up with, and everyones gripeing about it, i hope for the games sake everything works out, and do we even know yet 100% , thats the way its going to work? Or are they just throwing stuff out there? I think what frustrates me the most is that "I do Understand what they are proposing, or working on" random cards popping up during the fight from a deck you put together prior to going out, probably not knowing what your supposed to have as far as cards, at least the first time around in different areas. with perks, and heal, and magic. What frustrates me most about Jack in particular is that i know what they are proposing! And i was just repeating something that i watched in an old video, I understand selective multiplayer, Slide bar to no pvp if you dont want to fight other players, slide bar to pvp if you Want to fight others. You can play multiplayer or solo, youll know when your friends are on and they can meet up with you if not appear beside you. Am i missing something there?
    Alot of people dont want to PVP, the other half Wants to PVP, Some people want to gank others, etc... I think i understand what they are trying to do. Also non pvprs are afraid they will get ganked in the open pvp collecting some resource thats special, to that area(which they probably will), and losing it all (or some) no one really knows yet on that, if that is such a problem then maby they shouldnt make it that way (the Devs). I personally think (my opinion) thats a great way to meet others, and multiplay and form Campaigns, and Use real peoples Vendors on a Multi-player level. I see all the different angles of it. Do i think that non PVPr's should not have access to certain things if they dont go to PVP places Yes, do i think PVPr should not have access to PVEr's Special things if they dont go to PVE places, Yes, but those things shouldnt have to be important game ending resources. (too me it seems like RG and the team is trying to get real people working togther on all those things) Multi-playing. That about the best i can explain how i see the game going! If i am missing something then tell me, but be constructive in explaining what it is i am missing, Not destructive, referring back to Jacks Comment, and others, I didnt come here for an English Lesson, I came to help figure out how to please everyone and discuss with you all, throwing ideas around even if they dont matter to some. Well thats it in a nutshell.

4. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

No they are not. It is optional remember?

The PvE players are worried about one thing more than anything.

1. That their PvE game will in some way be affected by us having our PvP game.

And... Of course, us PvP players are worrieda bout the exact yang!! We are worried our PvP game will in some way be affected by them having their PvE game.

To some level this will be true, for example the Devs keeping griefing at the top of their mind while putting in all systems. Limiting area effect spells for example or splash damage. To a single player, limiting splash damage / AoE is terrible, cos they will never play online or PvP and think this is unfair. That is a fair thing to be worried about, and I understand that.

To be able to get what you want, you must also understand what the other side of the story is. If you can't understand their reservations and fears, then you are lost in your cause and will not be able to affect any decent change what so ever.

Mordecai likes this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

that limiting spells i havent heard of until you mentioned it, i dont agree with that at all every spell should be used to full capacity, no matter where you are. Unless there is an opposite energy/ to that spell (exmple - Fireball to a fire elemental, 1/2 dmg)

6. CaptainJackSparrow

Note how I say example. I do not know if they are or are not limiting a single thing. It was an example of what PvE players fear based on PvP gameplay to correct your thought that they fear getting looted.

7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah most of the threads have been not very happy with full loot

8. CaptainJackSparrow

No.

9. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

CapnJack, Technically Im worried (as a PvEer) about a great many things :D But Im not too worried about PvPers having a way to play too. The slider will let us decide our level of participation/non-participation. I just dont want there to be resources that PvP can get that PvE cannot and vice versa.

10. CaptainJackSparrow

Agree. I believe resources, all of them, should be 100% random seed. Each hex to be regenerated on a timer of some kind.

11. smack

smack Avatar

Because of Selective Multiplayer, I don't think they're going to limit any of that stuff. If they put in any limitations, it will be simply for balance against MOBs and Players alike.

12. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

Not exactly affected; try limited instead.

I don't care much about having parts of the PvE game tweaked in order to make the PvP portion of the game better. But I do care a lot about PvE content requiring any kind of PvP activity to unlock, or about the best gear for PvE requiring resources only available in PvP. If that is the case I'm likely to just play offline instead.

13. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Why do people assume that the best PvE gear will require PvP resources? Richard has stated that if the risks require PvP, the rewards will be for PvP.

This is why games end up with a split of PvE and PvP gear. It's much easier to just separate them than to require players with different styles to be forced into the other style. Tempted, teased, challenged, sure, but not required.

14. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Why should there be PvP/PvE differentiated resources? or Gear, Why not have the same materials for everyone...the world is the world and everything in it is accessable to everyone (given some amount of risk of course) Seems to me that would be a massive redundancy to have two sets of resources.

15. Kal Morte

Kal Morte Avatar

We can blame games like World of Warcraft where you have seperate sets of gear for "PvP" and raiding. I'm pretty sure combat in SotA is existing on one plane of existence. A sword is going to do the same damage to me that it is to a kobold.

Sir_Tim and vjek like this.
  16. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

There aren't two sets of resources, per se, but some resources might be in contested areas that require PvP. Could it be the only place that it is obtained? Maybe. The issue is that some non-PvP crafters don't want to go there to get the resources. There are other solutions, like buy it from someone or hire someone to go get it. Or just tbeat your plow into a sword and give it a go yourself.

So in order to make those crafters feel that they don't have to go in there, one idea (that Richard has mentioned in a hangout, seriously or not) is that the rewards might be mainly for PvP. That could be PvP gear, but I dislike the idea of separate gear just becase it's a player attacking me as opposed to some random mob. And anyway, using the gear and crafting it are two different things, done by different people.

So my solution is to just have resources be resources. If you can't get to it because you aren't a PvPer or your character isn't even combat-ready, then use other means. If you are a merchant, trade! If you are a gatherer, hire a guard! Perhaps there are resources that you have to grow, and therefore combatants aren't set up best to do that.

I have a feeling that a lot of these design ideas are just going to have to be implemented and behaviors analyzed. Then tweaking can be done to make sure that there are no weaknesses in how the system and the players interact together.

vjek likes this.
  17. Sir Tim

Sir Tim Avatar

If that was true it would be great. But is a topic not about PvP at all. Its about PvE. We should have a PvE forum, I dont know why they troll in here.

18. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Most resources I'd like to be around strategic PvP. i.e. we don't send the army to gather them. We sent the army to take the hill so that our gathers can get them and not the enemies.

I'm willing to try the idea of a hex that is simply hostile to everyone all the time and it's almost some kind of minigame of steal the nightshade and run.

The only PvP crafts I'd like to see are things like siege equipment, if it exists. But the crafting this doesn't necessarily correlate to that person engaging in PvP directly. They're simply building boiling oil to help repel some future invaders or whatever.

As for any kind of "PvP gear," it's really about some status symbol. Some sash that says "I earned PvP blackbelt" or whatever. Perhaps unique glow effects on weapons. Top levels of PvP or PvE might unlock unique finisher like skills which would just be cool, cosmetic animation.

MalakBrightpalm and AuroraWR like this.
  19. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Why would you need rsources that only work in pvp mode?
    Lets say they include some booby traps in pvp mode that could be placed or hidden in places to kill other players.
    Maybe something like a trap in my ore so if another players tries to steal it he goes BOOM.
    Why do you need the resources for that?
    Your not playing in a mode to use that?

20. MagiK

MagiK Avatar

Not seeing how that kind of thing is not usable in the PvE environment...to deter NPC theivery.
    I am not seeing how NPC's should be limited to passive stationary targets, they can and should have motivations of their own.

AuroraWR likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.