#SaveOurMines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol It's not the thread to disagree, it's the thread for chanting give us more ore ;) *picks up picket sign*

2. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I remember farming these mines at half my current level. Until they put the ghosts into them at the top. Then I was run out until I became stronger. Now I'm back and taking on several ghosts at the same time.

This means absolutely nothing since the rules have already changed. Several times for Etceter Mine :D

Maybe we should consider doing the same thing in the forests while we're at it. After all, I"m getting way too much wood guys. Time for a nerf ;-)

uhop, Grumpy and K1000 like this.
  3. Selene

Selene Avatar

off topic: @ hamburger mary's? :D

4. mass

mass Avatar

You guys...what if instead of focusing on the supply side of the problem, we solved the demand side of ore:

1. Provide alternative pathways for crafters to level their skills that do not require materials.
    2. Provide production bonuses for refiners based on level; e.g. increasing probability of producing x2, x3, or x4 ingots from ore.

Lower supply would balance out with lower demand, give refiners a profession, and reduce the need for grindy mining.

5. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

There was a mention somewhere by I believe Starr where he mentioned that the refining skills aren't in the game yet. So presumably, someday they'll remember that people want to craft and put in the skills comprising 1/3 of the entire crafting system.

6. Zader

Zader Avatar

Yes, if GM Smelting gave 2 ingots that would make this hurt less ;)

...but I still think they need to increase the ore node count in their new mine 'themed' de-clones.

7. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

That many ghosts at one time is overkill. I was thinking of trying to mine there but not sure now.

You would have to have high death attunement, necro warding and celestial blessing combined to put up with all that death magic.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

These things are part of what I meant by looking at the big picture. :) The changes to the mine are a part of a larger equation. Though I still am in favor of improving the supply side. :)

mass, Sentinel2 and K1000 like this.
  9. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Yeah, but they need to do some announcements, or add the skills in but greyed out like pickpocket was for a while. Apart from one offhand comment that I only kind of remember, there has been no word on this. It's not even on the roadmap.

Alana Baran and Grumpy like this.
  10. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I think that's the main concern. Either we missed the announcement or we don't know what the larger equation is.

I'd like to know so I can plan where to spend my XP next. Eventually I'd like to do more crafting. Lately I've been building homes and greenhouses for people. Occasionally carpentry items. When people can appreciate and enjoy what I've crafted in game, that's even better than adventuring... for me anyway :D

uhop likes this.
  11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Celestial Blessing and LOTS of fire. I've heard of people going out there with high end sun magic. Either way, that is a lot to solo at the same time. It is possible. I wouldn't discourage you from trying. There was a time where I was run out of Etceter Mine because everything was too high a level for me. It does get easier as you get stronger.

We ARE Avatars after all. Full of power and virtue. And we can grow. Eventually kicking serious ass :D

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Think that could go a ways to putting people at ease. I had completely forgotten about refining skills. :)

It doesn't really take much. Just look at everything that is effected.. You have ore supply.. refining, crafting.. market.. what can effect those? Gear degradation, recipes, skills.. Ok it's a bit complicated mess.. one of the reasons balance is hard to achieve.. It all plays a part.

Part of the problem though.. in my opinion.. is simply the need for some things to be clearly explained.. and sometimes even that isn't a simple task when you have a lot on your place and have to juggle a hundred different things. But how many people would be put at ease over these issues if Starr or Chris or anyone really just came here and said "we're currently planning to deal with these issues with refining skills.. where higher skills will increase your smelting yield" or something along those lines.

13. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I said there is no set classes.
    Its a classless system because there are no caps and no set classes.

So how is me saying, whats a mining class in sota? You mean nothing but the mining gathering tree? Is that a mining class? Im sorry, whats your definition of a mining class in SOTA?

Theres no caps, no classes. Everyone is quite literally everything, or capable of being it. So even to do crafting you need to gather for exp, which means anyone and everyone is an *adventurer*.

I simply said that they gave the impression that people that think they can mine with only the mining skill, wont be able to do it, and that this is intended.

So yea the classless system means that right from the geko there are no *Miner classes*.

Sorry if that was confusing?

Can you explain to me in a meaningful way, how a game that has no classes, limits or titles, can classify someone as a miner more then anyone else? Isn't every avatar a miner? What makes you more of a miner over me? Because it sounds like it comes down more and more to the ability to handle the mobs, more then the actual mining skill itself doesnt it?

All im doing is explaining how i took the answer in the post mortem on this issue. Go watch it yourself and explain how you see a different long term goal with how they explained it.

Edit - Refining skills would be an excellent way to offset some of the changes.

Vaiden Luro and Grumpy like this.
  14. scroda

scroda Empyrean Enforcer

My impression was that he was repeating something that another person in discord had said.

15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm curious to know how much ore is "out there" sitting in various containers and on vendors.

Still- I don't see why there couldn't be some mining areas with little to no mobs, but perhaps some other kind of mechanism in place to create a different sort of challenge.

I've always sort of imagined that other tiers of resource nodes would be coming online eventually, but perhaps that is a false assumption.

16. Autumn Willow

Autumn Willow Avatar

Interesting idea... But... I really like mining. Let's do both. :D

mass likes this.
  17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I see several ways to do a "pure" mine, and still have it be an adventure scene with challenge.

First, an active mine for the enemy. Yes, it's full of angry kobolds. However, there are two types here: guards that are the standard combatants, and miners. If you kill miners, they drop ore (and picks, etc), but if you don't they will "use up" nodes.

Second, a commission mine. You can only enter if you sign a work order (get a quest). You then have a set amount of time (your shift) to mine as much as you can before it respawns and you get shuffled out of the mine. Your work order has to be fulfilled, but you get to keep any extra you collect. If you don't collect enough, you can't sign up again for a NB week (7 hours). Can be a good competitive instance with other players, and PvP could make it even more interesting.

Lots of other ways to make mines without them just being free ore, but not just fill it with enemies that block nodes.

18. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ok. maybe.

BTW, during my search in youtube for the video where chris says that (repeatedly), I found this :D

I thought it amusing ;-)

19. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Ok found it.

Go to 1:12:00 during the discussion about tamers. He was answering a question about taming. I was on discord and don't recall seeing a suck it comment :D

20. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Nor do I. As a career firefighter there are plenty of times I'd LOVED to have told people I am trying to help to, "Suck it!", while they yell at me. But, that just isn't professional nor conducive to winning hearts and minds. I really don't understand what type of individual would think that's appropriate. :rolleyes:;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.