#SaveOurMines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Limited or not you're right on point. Yes, IRL, this is how things generally do play out. Regardless of the market or the product being sold. You actually described PERFECTLY what is known in economics as "the scarcity principle" :D

The problem with SotA is that being an MMO there are outliers that come into play that don't exist IRL but have to be taken into consideration. For example, resources here are infinite in that they respawn. Resources IRL are finite and the scarcity of that resource (gold, oil, spectrum etc) factors into the pricing of that product. That isn't the case so much in SotA, since all ore (for example) is limitless given enough time. So the pricing factor isn't predicated at all by scarcity value of a resource, its defined more so by the time invested and necessary to create that item. Which is nuts, because how do you really quantify that number? Which, again, IMHO is why items are so damn expensive.

Another example that makes the economy wacky is the use of cotos to repair items. This completely undermines the entire system and further adds to the pricing of a good. The only way for a true player run economy to work is by eliminating cotos for repairs. Yet I digress and don't wish to detract from the intent of this post so I'll stop there lol ;)

2. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I'm pretty sure ghosts are highly resistant to most magic, particularly fire. About the only thing that I'm sure can kill them is sun and life magic.

That's why I'm a miner and refiner, but the only serious crafting I do is making a few houses. I don't bother with weapons and armor.

Spectral Mines is skeletons, not ghosts. The only ghosts are along the way to the spider cave.

3. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Well, with Searing Ray or Banish Undead you probably have to have high sun or life attunement for them to work anyway.

I would have to test out Fire Arrow, Immolation and Ring of Fire with wands to find out for sure.

4. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Well, if it works, then that's news, because I used to use fire arrow/immolation on them all the time before the elemental resistance nerfed hard my ability to fight ghosts.

5. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Ghosts magic resistance is currently bugged.

Alley Oop and Elwyn like this.
  6. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

what do we think of the new verdantis mine in R41

7. Gustach

Gustach Avatar

I think the new Verdantis mines is more a mini-dungeon than a mine.

Almar and Scraps MacMutt like this.
  8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

Fine place for ash, corp wax, and elven crap, but mining ore? Nope.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I really like the bling/look however from a mining perspective, it's ok. There were a couple area's you can run around and gather copper/silver ore. Just watch out for the fire elementals and archers. Bringing your own pet / elemental helps :D

Oh and yes, the gathering rate was far below what it used to be

Almar and discipleofweb like this.
  10. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

For me, if I walk into a "mine" I would like to spend all of my time - or at least most of it - mining. That's why I'm there. If I want to kill things or explore or do anything else, there are typically better more lucrative areas to do it. I don't want to climb up and down buildings or jump over broken pathways or ride in minecarts (unless riding in said cart takes me somewhere with ore!) I want to mine.

Yes yes I know the 'risk vs reward' nonsense we keep being fed, as well as a way to prevent botting, requires that there be monsters in the mine. Fine, whatever, every few minutes I'll kill something. But at least let the time between that be gathering ore, not standing around waiting for ore to spawn, or wandering in circles, or fighting constantly.

Good Examples:
    Pre-existing clone mines - still spend about 30% of the time fighting, but if you clear a room, you can get ore. Which is the point and why you're there.
    Spectral mines - this is a great example, top bit has some skeletons to kill to keep you on your toes but a lot of ORE. Extensive subterranean area for the adventuring stuff, if needed.
    Etceter Mines - ore chambers with monsters in. Totally fine with this. Respawn rate a bit slow now, but its manageable because there's so much of it.
    Pre-nerf Owl's nest had a good amount of iron/copper for low lvl players; currently there's nowhere to tell new folks to go to get ore other than road scenes or outdoor adventure areas. The mines will kill them.
    Hilt Fortress - Decent amount of ore but decent combat lvl needed to deal with Mr Lich and the constant respawn of undead and/or elementals.

Bad Examples:
    New Serpent Spine - too big, too much runabout, not enough ore, slow respawn, too many junk nodes clay/gems
    New Verdantis - too big, ores too scattered about, no actual mining chambers that I could find just a lot of running around getting the occasional node, monsters respawned 3x as fast as ore did
    Epitaph - Great potential, needs about 3x the nodes though, not just 6 or so in the 1 hallway. WHy not fill that whole entry chamber? Gives a nice alternative.
    Underground Passages - most of these are pretty gem-heavy but the breakable walls with chambers behind is a good concept. If ore nodes in here were say, tripled, they may be viable mining alternatives, with enough monsters to satisfy the "risk vs reward" demographic. Ie, breaking one of these walls having 10-12 nodes behind it, and having 2 or 3 such chambers in there, would be decent. Also because you typically have to traverse another dungeon to even get to them, they are harder to get to, satisfying the need to make people 'work' to then go work to get ore :x

I'm not saying I want to stand still in a single room and mine all day. But "ore rooms" such as in the cloned scenes at least let you get what you came in for in a reasonable amount of time.

11. Scraps MacMutt

Scraps MacMutt Avatar

I'm extremely disappointed in the current trend with the mines. I spent a lot of money on my 2 towns and requested that they be placed next to (the then future location of) Verdantis Mines for the sole purpose of gathering ore to support crafting (blacksmithing in particular). If I had known the mine was going to get nerfed and become just another one of many, many adventure scenes in the game I probably would have just saved myself a lot of money and a lot of frustration. :mad:

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes making a game with economy is not my favorite thing. It's all about money and time now and it is way too serious and not interesting. Punishment outweighs the reward. Well reward is not implemented ;) and ore scarcity is. If ore is scarce then lessen the need for it to match or as mentioned give ore sickness or muscle distress or something to balance that someone doesn't exploit the system but give the abundance of ore that can be spread out thru the players. It is rediculous to make a game with so many restrictions that don't have an interesting counterpart to them.@DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British2

Almar, ManaPlow, K1000 and 4 others like this.
  13. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

High prices is why I started crafting, mining , etc. When I started this game in September, all I wanted to do was build a PVP/ Adventure Paladin/Tank. The absurd prices is
    While you're unionizing, I'll be selling at reasonable prices to all the others. :D

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  14. cyathome

cyathome Avatar

That comment was not about making an unreasonable profit. It was a response to the people coming into this thread suggesting that the game needed to nerf our mines, making it harder to gather the ores we need.

If they can champion the nerfing of our mines then they should also suffer the pain of gathering ores imo.

15. psteg

psteg Avatar

I agree with the majority here. They are in the process of ruining mining for we who love mining. Not very smart of the people who make these decisions. Keep taking things away we like to do for the sake of so called balance, and see how long your customer base lasts. These people do not think things out before they do it. You cannot do the same thing over and over again and expect a different out come.

16. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Revenge of the Nerfs

17. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

I've already started to cut back on ore stocked on my vendor. Artifacts is where the money is. Those items are more powerful than anything I could make anyway :D

discipleofweb likes this.
  18. Boris Mondragon

Boris Mondragon Avatar

@psteg, I agree with you completely and here is my added input:

1) They already got 11 million plus to make the game with the expectation of x amount of new players at release at $40.00 minimum plus the ones that will pay for additional "Titles" through bundles and POT housing deeds. I am sure about 1 to 2 months before release they will see their expectations vs actual player base and if I am right will "Give" us some things they took from us back to increase momentum and good will. If not then we deal with what we got plus anything else they take away in subsequent releases prior to official launch.

2) On ores/crafting resources: Prices on Silver will go up until people figure out a way to maximize silver production on the "uncloned" mines, Gold will not go up much but copper will go up probably to equal gold due to more weapons and metal armors being made to offset higher item damage, prices will also go up for leather/cotton/suet/carapaces due to the same principle. COTO's will go up in price as people will want to hoard them in order to do high end repairs on their best weapons/armor.

3) Weapons/Armor: You will probably find two tiers of each. One will be mid-grade used to farm and xp non high level instances and high-grade saved only for those instances worthy of item damage, i.e. (The Rise/The Fall etc).

It will just be a matter of adjustments ad nauseum until official launch with more stuff being taken away on each release and fluff added. Most folks who are cost savvy will GM Weapon and Armor preservation to get the most out of their equipment. Prices on POT deeds will probably drop considerably and probably to 50% of what they are now at Official Launch to get potential new players to buy deeds and make PORT one big windfall.

Well, That is how the Pirate sees it. Feel free to add to it or show me I am wrong in my assessment as new ideas and perceptions are always welcome by me.

R/Boris/El Pirata

psteg, discipleofweb and K1000 like this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not seeing the relevance here. Besides, 11 million is pretty slim pickings in game development.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.