#SaveOurMines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

I have no idea how you build up a bank that big without going insane. I can barely wait to get to 2 mill before I go craft. But yeah, given that information your prediction is probably correct.

mass likes this.
  2. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Most of the crafters play until they run out of silver then quit until this gets fixed is my guess, assuming that's actually how they do it. I'm already heavily penalized as a crafter because I don't have an AOE magic build, I make a quarter to half of what the top miners make. The market definitely crashes because no one will pay 250g/ore and it isn't worth mining for less than that.

Vaiden Luro and MrBlight like this.
  3. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

I challenge you @DarkStarr @Chris @Lord British to take a (figurative) walk with me. Go start a brand new char... just like an ordinary player would...no cheating (LB I'm lookin at you) no dev help and play the game. Go out and experience it as we do.

Go out and make it all on your own... Go mine and raise up your skills.. oh no buying gold either (ya LB I'm lookin at you again) and get back to us. (edit: was that FUN?) I'm not being a smart ass here..I truly want this game to knock it out of the park.. but y'all really need to get a clue. You need to keep adding more fluff in the pixel crack... err i mean addon store to keep the doors open? No Problemo But remember...most of us don't have money trees in our backyards which is to say... we don't need our GAME to be as much of a grind as our daily lives. I was asked by someone once to explain what the attraction of gaming was; bearing in mind... I was born in '55 so I didn't grow up with gaming as part of my DNA. I told them in part that it was because unlike RL you actually SEE the reward for your efforts. Ya.. you have to put in time.. but you get something out of it. I have a ring I wear that represents TWENTY hours of my current avg net income (in game) at lvl 83. Seriously.. at times I wonder what the heck I was thinking to pour so much RL $ into this project. Hell, the fact is...and just being totally honest here.. part of the reason I don't cash in my chips is I'm too damned stubborn and I don't wanna be wrong.

I'm not trying to be a jerk here.. I am in for the duration....I'm excited by the prospects I see. I'm excited about the depth and breadth of what this can be. But don't give me any more SUCK IT please...that's just rude.

Oh and here's another idea..WHile Tech Tuesday is interesting and nice.. How about an Economics Saturday? DOn't treat me like an idiot on the one hand and ask me to continue to fund you one the other.
    As Ricky Ricardo said, joo got some 'splainin to do

I could go on but.. I have to go make some repair kits and food so I can go mindlessly grind

Respectfully

-sol

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  4. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

Sounds like 4 - 6 million is required to learn these skills.

I hope they work on the demand side for resources if supply is going to be harder to get going forward.

They should work on meticulous refining so you can get more out of resources. They should also add gold and silver that can be made with metal scraps.

Lastly, look at the huge amount of resources needed to craft anything and hopefully reduce it down some.

Solazur likes this.
  5. mass

mass Avatar

This sort of illustrates the complicating matter of the RMT market on character advancement. Clearly, XP is far from being the limiting factor in raising enchanting and masterworking skills; the overwhelming bottle neck is ore/ingots. It is very difficult to spend even a high XP pool unless you have enormous amounts of ore/ingots, which if you are willing to spend real dollars, you can easily overcome. If the intent is really to make craft leveling such a long haul, then the RMT market creates a rather large loophole to circumvent that.

I currently have a little over a million crafting xp pool, with humble ambitions of simply getting a few enchantment/masterworking skills to 50. At the rate I'm going, I can barely spend the xp after burning thousands of ore; it will take me months at my rate of play to reach my goals. If I had the ore, I could get close to my goals in a few days. Using ore to gate crafting skillup is inappropriate; XP should be the gate. Then we wouldn't need to save the mines from an economic perspective, we'd just need a way to serve the 'mining for relaxation' group (which I support, but also think are totally insane :D).

Vaiden Luro and fonsvitae like this.
  6. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Well said, Majoria.

7. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I said this earlier but it kinda got ignored.

I think there are a lot of people in this threads that are organizers in the game.

I would suggest you pull a good ol UO style protest in game. Lead a march to the big castle in Central Brit and burn it down with torches. They will listen to that.

Next Saturday at 2PM game time, meet and protest (stop by my vendor while you are in there pls).

Ill join the protest!

K1000, Aldo, cartodude and 1 other person like this.
  8. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

... will you be selling torches and pitchforks?

9. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

actually, that's what i have stocked at stinging tree riot supply! come on over!

(i had tomatoes, too, but someone cleared my stock when they put cooking in.)

10. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

That Sir is a great idea!!!

Sentinel2 and cartodude like this.
  11. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Could you imagine a protest in Central Brittany? Talk about a load screen/lag nightmare, lol! :D

Love the idea though, I don't think it's ever been done in game, even if it was meant in jest. ;)

K1000 and Sentinel2 like this.
  12. mdsota152

mdsota152 Avatar

... too bad it wasn't this last weekend... just bought a bunch of torches to make wall torches... maybe I could collect all the used torches after the castle is burnt down... hmmm....:cool:

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

@DarkStarr

Bows degrade so fast that I dont buy them. You have the opposite problem. Rapidfire and multishot plus autoattack decimate bows. I have 2 that are around 15 durability. Try to find anything else that loses durability as fast.

14. Arya Stoneheart

Arya Stoneheart Avatar

[​IMG]

Have fun storming the castle!

15. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

XP is a huge limiting factor past 80. 80-100 is something like 95% of the experience of GMing something. If you just want to get a crafting skill to 50 or so, that's pretty trivial in terms of XP, but brutal in terms of ore. After 80, the ore issue doesn't really get better, but XP also becomes a big bottleneck.

16. mass

mass Avatar

That makes sense, but when thinking of total time spent, if you compare the time spent mining or adventuring to buy ore compared to the XP grind, I still think the total 'ore time' is greater than the XP grind, even if they begin to converge at higher levels (and clearly will exceed ore time if you are going for extreme levels). Since skill gain from 1-80 is arguable more important than the skill gain from 80-100 (as diminishing returns are pretty severe at that point), I would say the most important place for ore not to be the gating factor is precisely where it exists. Regardless, though I don't think at any point on the advancement curve that time spent getting ore should be greater than time spent earning XP.

17. Malimn

Malimn Avatar

I have been mining for the past month +, about 1 hour per day and 2-4 hours each day on the weekend and I am now up to 2.5m Exp... my goal is to hit 6m exp level before I start working on the rest of my skills to obtain GM status as a minimum..

Add me to the torches list :)

18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Thank you everyone for the feedback. Excerpts from R41 post below.
    • Verdantis Mines: The Verdantis Mines are in the northern tip of the Mariah Mountains in the Verdantis region which can be found in the northwest of Novia. The elves of the region have been mining these mountains for many years and recently they broke through to an ancient underground city full of rich ore nodes and other treasures. Unfortunately it is also full of undead and in its deepest places Fire Elementals. The Verdantis Mines started as a clone of Graff Gem Mines but has being completely rebuilt for Release 41. Based on feedback received regarding resources in Serpent’s Spine Mines, we have increased the ore resource node counts as part of the scene unclone.
    • Serpent's Spine Mines: In response to player feedback, we have added some additional iron and silver ore resource nodes to this scene.

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Cheers!!!!

20. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Just curious, what other ballance considerations do u all have to crafting. As you know there is very little turn over and its very easy to do/make everything. I see this problem getting much worse as the population expands.

Also I thought we were going for regonal based resouces. Silver can now be mined just about in every corner of the map.

I do like how the enchanting specialties feel much slower and more rewarding at each level of progression.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    MrBlight and Alexander like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.