SotA secures Russian publisher

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, May 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Эй, Никита, это холодно? В вашем маленьком уголке мира? :D

Time Lord and fonsvitae like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

When I first read this my first thoughts were: What does this even mean? Does this mean we can enlarge the development team? Will this have negative effects on things that have been important to those who have backed this game in some ways? I didn't even know what a Publisher does for a game.

Ok so I have been doing some research and of all my hopes and dreams for this game have always and will continue to be that it is a very good game in all the ways it deserves. This means fluid combat motions that are fun and interesting, sounds that are appropriate and interesting environmentally and throughout the game and so much more. It also means that the game gets what it needs not the cheap or easy way out which includes enough development team to do this.

But alas from my research I do not see that the part a Publisher plays is any of this. It seems they are the marketing department and a few other jobs. I am not making light of this because the localization is a very important part of any good game and the Publisher will help with this. So as we struggle, twist, and turn and rethink this game and where it is going and where it should go, this was not the only news I would have wanted for us.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6443/crucial_demands_what_mmo_.php?print=1

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Chatele, Solazur and Time Lord like this.
  3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I will strongly second Nikita's statement. We would NEVER do business with anyone who would support such things. The Black Sun team are amazing people who we trust and respect and are proud to partner with.
    -Starr

PS Their symbol will make an awesome cloak! Great suggestion @Browncoat Jayson

4. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

As a german, let me assure...this is a little far fetched ;-)

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

So are other things that would be ostensibly banned by the community guidelines ;)

6. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

@Berek @mightymaligos

I don't have any grudges - once a while a go a big love was from Chabarovsk - far East ;) i know some very nice russian people - welcome to the community
    that was just about the symbol link came up, nothing personal or anything like that.

Time Lord and redfish like this.
  7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Is it just me, or does this site have some cool art?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Welcome!

I see you've been a forums member for 2 years now :)

I'm happy to see a publisher picking up SotA for Russian distribution and localization as we head towards launch!

I hope @Berek or @DarkStarr creates an announcement post to be seen by all players, perhaps also saying what this might mean for SotA (if anything).

P.S. Love the logo!

9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok I am still trying to wrap my mind around what this means for Shroud of the Avatar outside of the benefits of help with localization and perhaps marketing, and yes I could be perhaps making it mean more than it really does. *sighs*.

So another question is will the Russian Publisher be the only publisher of this game or does each region the game will be played in need its' own publishing company?

10. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

Here's what popped into my head when I read Nikita :p

[​IMG]

Mortanius, FrostII and Time Lord like this.
  11. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Smack may have just been faster ;) This is on the homepage however and will probably go out in the newsletter this Friday, but it'd also be nice to see an announcement in the forums as well assuming this is a big deal.

Chatele, Solazur, Cordelayne and 2 others like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

The point was really about symbols and language and how we should have some creative freedom to use them as a community.

Because if we don't, creative expression in the game will be harmed, just like it would be if Blacksun's logo were banned from the game just because some people would associate it with a negative context.

Mykll, Time Lord and Stundorn like this.
  13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I like playing games with russians id be very diapointed if they had thier own servers, but my understanding is sota will only have 1 mega server.

14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Agree, i also like to use Symbols what maybe can misinterpret to express my RP sometimes.
    I once posted a Nidstang to someone who offended me :eek:

Time Lord likes this.
  15. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

Definitely a cooler banner than our US version. I'm jelly.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

If anyone follows Richard Garriott on Twitter and see the things he holds dear,this would not even be questioned.

Kabalyero, Xandra7 and Time Lord like this.
  17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I just needed to quote that one again to remind myself I need more vitamin C in my diet :p The ~Time Lord~ likes his screwdrivers ;) Nostrovia!
    Following any of Richard's ethics throughout the years "disregarding any gain from such", his ethics have been a rock within guiding my life! :) I second that @Frederick Glasgow !
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

18. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'd be curious to know- were you traveling in areas where Buddhism is the dominant religion?

[​IMG]

The swastika has been used for thousands of years in Asia. It was originally derived from the Sanskrit word for "well-being" and is often displayed as a sort of good luck charm. But it sounds like you would already know this. I just mention it here for the sake of others who might not be aware of it. ;)

19. Serena Strangelove

Serena Strangelove Avatar

I hear you Majoria ....

With my (very!) limited knowledge, I tend to believe this publisher will not have any impact on the game here in the States (and possibly all regions outside of Russia, I don't know).

Again, I am just drawing on experiences I have had with other MMO's where certain regions of the globe had their own publisher for the game - and basically the players in that region would need to access the game via that publisher.

Now, since people are already playing from around the globe, my scenario may not be true at all. It's just something I have seen. Having different publishers may be required for compliance with laws of a different country.

Or it may simply be tied into localization, although I thought that "publishers" had more authority and were involved in more decision-making than simply localization.

As long as Portalarium remains firmly entrenched at the helm with full authority over decisions related to all aspects of the game (design, balance, store, etc.), I won't be concerned (I think :eek:).

I shall stay tuned ...

Chatele likes this.
  20. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Here's a good article on the history of that symbol.

Stundorn, Mykll and Jaanelle DeJure like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.