Everyone's thoughts on forcing PVE players into Open PVP areas along the main storyline.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by twofoldsilence, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daemonium Malum

Daemonium Malum Avatar

Some people will never try to learn to swim.

Not because there is anything wrong with the pool or for that matter with themselves, but because they have convinced themselves through many years of (bad) experiences that they cant do it, or they cant do it as well as their friend Jim and therefore refuse to try.

Is learning to swim fun? No, its terrifying.

Is swimming fun once you know how and accept the risks?

Yep.

2. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I think you missed the OP's point. No one is required to enter a PvP Area to complete the story.
    Fortunately, no one is forced to enter a PvP Area.

3. Nemesis2

Nemesis2 Avatar

Well when it comes to pvp, i refuse, wow made us do it for gear, SWG made us do it for jedi... all VERY bad ideas IMHO. Had a bad experience on here with it so i refuse to pvp flag at all now. That being said giving xp for being pvp flagged while doing PVE things is a bad idea all around. *goes back to decorating her houses*

Rennik, Stundorn, Womby and 2 others like this.
  4. mass

mass Avatar

I quite enjoy swimming. I will, however, decline all offers to allow another person to try to drown me. :)

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

And there are those who know how to swim but simply don't enjoy it. And others who for whatever simply have no interest in it. Everyone has their own reasons and their own interests.

FrostII, cartodude, Stundorn and 7 others like this.
  6. Sir Leonard

Sir Leonard Localization Team

For me, pvp is far from being terrifying here. Ultima Online was terrifying, cause you went full loot. And this was a crap, because no matter how strong you are, there were always groups stalking people and attacking in bundles to rip you appart from that ultra hard-gained set of armor - main reason I quit faster that one could say "shenanigans" for that system.

Anyway, this is my experience with PvP: mixing with PvE is just stupid, period. I enjoy ordered pvp events (like Jade's Virtue League), but aside from that...

is it terrifying to enter a ruin looking for the vault to get a page from the Dire Prophecy and while trying to "crack" the puzzles down and being annoyed by undead and kobolds and liches, just take 2 instant hits of Ice Bolt for 700+ crit damage in your back from a stealthy mage who also happened to be on your friend's list so he could easily track your location down and knowingly is about 50 adv levels above you because you spent the last 6 months doing decoration parties and city events while he was grinding Blood Bay endless day and night? No, it's not terrifying. It's just plain, flat, retarded, stupid, lame and moronic.

Ps:
    - yes, obviously I revoked him from the list.
    - yes, underground tunnels for completing storyline quests are a lame workaround
    - no, I am not averse of pvp, if I was, I'd no being leagued in Master's league in "competitive" overwatch, street fighter and games like such... I am averse of unfair, moronic pvp while pveing and being forced against someone that is so above your level that he can press 2 buttons and smash your face while you are unaware and no matter what, can't do he'll to defend yourself.

Dantuin, mass, Stundorn and 4 others like this.
  7. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

at one time I was just young. I started UO back in the day. Pretty much a loner I played, and I got killed many times. I was terrified for a while. Then I realized that this is just a game, and the pixels I am playing are not real, and the world is not real. I really did not die. I started to associate it with NPC mobs killing me and I adjusted. I moved myself out of harms way until I could handle more intense conflict. I learned to hold my own. I still died a lot but I got respect from people. I stood up to my insecurities and became a man. I did not whine and complain, but instead I learned, and grew. I realized it was a part of the game and this is how it was. A Game. Not some quasi intellectual bleeding heart idea log, but a game. And now I am not scared, and I still lose. But I am not a quitter or a coward, I just play.

fonsvitae likes this.
  8. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

+1
    [​IMG]

9. Sir Leonard

The time you spent mining, then refining, then processing materials and then trying multiple times to enchant and breaking armor is very real, sir... it's a woe to just waste such a time for a group of PKs come and kill you and robb you of all of your stuff and hard-worked days in a glimpse of a second. Glad you got over that though... i didn't have the "guts" nor patience for that. ;)

10. Womby

Womby Avatar

Applying enchantments or masterworking can be terrifying. It is a huge risk with many hours of tedious grinding at stake. It requires courage. PVP in SotA, on the other hand, doesn't. There is little at stake*. It is just annoying, and I choose not to be annoyed.

* Provided you take some simple precautions.

11. Creb Darkenie

Creb Darkenie Avatar

we are all individuals in a a virtual world with many different passions. Its ok to be who you are.

12. Sir Leonard

Just to clarify: i also used to PvP in MMOs by a HUGE time. But then PVP had a purpose. For instance: getting castle sieges and then "guild dungeons" in Ragnarok Online was one of the most - if not the most - pleasant and rewarding experience of my life. But the design was built around this toward groups joining and guild joining forces to secure a place, to get the most desireable exp/hour and loot ingame, also to secure some "godly" stuff.

You participated as a team, your goal is to enter there and bash people. This was fun, even when i died and lost an awful amount of experience.

But to put you in a random single-player PK experience (like ganking low levels in World of Warcraft vanila in random maps while questing)... yeah, this is so dull and i'd rather pass.

PS: Exclusive dungeons like "the fall" are good examples of good pvp-friendly experience.

TY.

mass and Cordelayne like this.
  13. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Not with the actual System what ask you not only to swim but go for olympia gold.
    That's a difference.
    Swimming for fun - fine
    Swimming to compete - Why bother?

Cordelayne and Sir Cabirus like this.
  14. Daemonium Malum

Daemonium Malum Avatar

This is kind of my point. There isnt any terrible finality to pvp, so I dont understand why so many of you say pvp is unplayable. There may be an imbalance, but its not as if there is a band of 100gm players just constantly hunting all the lowbie zones. I went flagged for about 30 hours this past week as a level 40~ and I spent over an hour exploring each of the pvp only zones. I pvped once and I initiated it.

Comparing it to drowning is silly. Suggesting there is some terrible punishment for losing is silly. Saying its unplayable is silly. I think this goes back to a root cause that people are just scared of failure and they dont want that as part of their gameplay, but games are a place you can go which very intentionally have very low repercussive effects, so you can have as much fun as you want and the only thing you have to do is change the way you look at death.

If Im killed in PvP, I dont see my enemy as an enemy, I see them as a learning opportunity. I message these people, talk to them about techniques and what skills are most effective for them. I build and adapt. Moreover, I continue fighting them so I can build upon my own skill and help me direct my progression.

If youre getting killed in a specific zone over and over, go to a different zone. You dont have to min/max ytour XP gains at the expense of having fun.

P.S. I dont add people to my friends list randomly, so if youre doing this for a teleport listing but then complain about pks using it to hunt you, maybe you should reconsider how youre using your friends list.

15. Womby

Womby Avatar

Good for you, but that is your perspective. Other people have entirely different and equally valid perspectives. You won't change their viewpoint any more than they will change yours. The game should allow us to co-exist as equals, respecting our different play styles.
    When people are rewarded or punished for adopting their chosen play style, then we are no longer equal. No good can come from treating part of your community as inferior.

16. Daemonium Malum

Daemonium Malum Avatar

I'm just being honest. It seems to me that most people who take these positions just don't want to be inconvenienced. If you truly wanted to pvp and it was important enough to you to post on the forums and complain about it, there isn't anything so terrible in the game right now to prevent those people from doing it.

Ive also noticed people like to make up hypothetical situations that never really happened but are mildly plausible to reinforce their arguments against the current state of PvP, when the reality of the situation is that its not nearly as bad as anyone is claiming it to be.

Using imbalance as an excuse not to participate in something you claim you love is a cop out. There will always be someone out there better than you.

17. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

So was Dean Wermer, lol :rolleyes::

Respectfully, I find the use of that phrase distasteful in the context you are using it. It's like me saying, "Damn you're fat and ugly, but at least I'm being honest." ;)

There are more constructive ways to exemplify your points that doesn't come across as condescending.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    Sir Cabirus likes this.
  18. Daemonium Malum

Daemonium Malum Avatar

I also disagree with this point. In most games, the designers give zero frigs about every little nuance of every players wants and needs. Games are what they are in most cases with very little opportunity to change them, so you can accept the situation as it is and make the best of it or you can choose not to play.

To suggest that Portalarium should do a deep dive into all the playstyles to create a dynamic and adjustable pvp landscape is honestly laughable. This community is spoiled and entitled in that regard. Im pretty amazed at how much catering this dev team does, its unheard of really and taken for granted.

This is about the best classless pvp system Ive seen to date. Is there room for improvement? Sure, but you shouldnt opt out just because it isn't utopian yet.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  19. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I completely agree. However the problem is that Richard and Devs proposed a game that would be different. They championed the attempt to satisfy everyone in one game. It is failing tragically. It is time to accept that fact and move on. The game will be what it is and we must accept that. If that makes the game more like all other games out there then so be it. We all gambled up front with our cash that the game would be just the way we like it. Now that it is not coming true, it was a gamble from the start. We knew it. You got to give credit to the fact that they tried their best to incorporate every one's desires. Remember, Richard is a big loser here also. He is thinking about trying it again I bet.

Cordelayne likes this.
  20. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I doubt that the devs see it this way. I am sure they believe that they reached their goals...

Sir Cabirus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.