Roleplayer hate origins ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Last i heard chris mention working on “the good(pvp) stuff” he said shortly after release

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  3. Cora Cuz'avich

Cora Cuz'avich Avatar

Ha! I have a journal I update and then frequently "lose" around town. When I go afk in town, I go sit in the town square and /writebook. Or, occasionally, if I'm near my necropolis, I'll /kneel at the shrine.

I wish we could choose an alternate afk emote, so that afk would display on the nameplate while doing things other than sit down, or so we'd do something other than sit when the timer goes off when you're away a bit.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  4. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

You're right, I have no idea at all what you could be talking about regarding "RPG sandbox with interdependencies" as I honestly don't see that being a factor in RP. However, how could Port have "failed" if you just described what I listed as "Tavern RP and Second Life Style of Socializing"? This IS RP, right? I mean, you just said it was. o_O

As far as the "8 player co-op" thing goes, just how big of a group do you need to RP? It's not like you're hosting a huge event with this feature, but it's still a sizable group if you're doing a 1-off kinda thing.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. Chrystoph Reis

Chrystoph Reis Avatar

RPing or just annoying personality? I have no problem with RPers... but some people are just obnoxious with it, and don't know when to dial it down. I occasionally RP... but there are people I thought were just weird... overbearing... or whatever...

First, know thyself.
    Second, know thy audience.
    Lastly, find those of the same interest, and whether RPing or not RPing... no when to stop, "dial it down", "reign it in", whatever. Not everyone is 100% all the time.

Oeneusc, Retro, Alley Oop and 2 others like this.
  6. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

I think the thing people miss on all sides of the issue is that everyone plays the game for different reasons - and that is OK.

Some people are old school pencil and paper D&D, for some people WOW was the first MMO/RPG game, some people just like PVP, PVE, housing, etc...

I enjoy RP on occasion, I'm not going to walk or go too overboard... really if I wanted to be an 'authentic fisherman', I'd walk to the local lake and forget SOTA.

I do have a 'persona' of a poor marooned land-lubbing pirate captain on the run from mysterious supernatural forces whose crew rebelled. (Did you get all that?) No I'm not a Shakespeare aficionado, I be a pirate.

I find 'authentic' RP a bit funny anyways. Everyone wants to be a king or a knight - yet where are the squires, peasants, and lepers? Shouldn't most of us be peasants?

If you want to RP - RP. If you want to PVP - do that. There is plenty of room for everyone and if someone is really not into your thing, that's cool. Just move along and find someone new to interact with.

I think there should be a RP flag, much like a PVP flag. Maybe that would help people sub-divide themselves - personally I adapt and play with anyone vs dividing myself from the rest of the player base. I don't need to RP, but can. I don't go out of my way for PVP, but have enjoyed it at times. There is so much room in this game for whatever you want to do. Go do it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Alley Oop and Numa like this.
  7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed 100%

Ahuaeynjgkxs and kaeshiva like this.
  8. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is my sentiment exactly. I am not a serious roleplayer, but sometimes I like to converse not about the game and game mechanics but as if what is happening is real. It is the difference between saying "these elves are no longer red to me" and saying "It seems my training has paid off - I am now able to defeat the elves".

If I meet someone who converses with me in this manner I have no problem with it and gladly go along with it. If someone started to talk to me in old English it wouldn't bother me, but I wouldn't be able to reciprocate.

I do meet a lot of people who don't reply to chat overtures, however I hesitate to jump to conclusions about it. I vaguely remember in one of the early releases of SotA when someone was deeply insulted by and sharply criticized the lack of response of a certain avatar. It turned out that the avatar in question was a little kid and his father responded to the criticism with equally scathing comments. :)

That is an extreme case, of course, but some people don't like their UI cluttered with a chat window and play with it minimized. Others are carrying on chats of their own with friends and since the chats scroll so quickly, it is easy to overlook something. Some may have local chat unchecked without even realizing it. Some may have local chat disabled because they don't speak English. When I started out I didn't realize that you could have several customized chat tabs, and my chat window was so full of miscellaneous stuff that I often missed conversations.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and Hornpipe like this.
  9. DyNaMiX

DyNaMiX Avatar

Dost thou expect anything less?

^ I used to get murdered in UO for talking like that. Even in Trammel...

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Folks, it's a game.
    Let everybody play the way they wish.
    Sometimes i am really asking myself where the common sense has vanished to, that made this community stand out back in the days.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  11. Diab Blackbow

Diab Blackbow Avatar

Some people end up taking things to the extremes and become annoying. They might not even know it. It's like that guy in voice chat that has to announce everything and talks over people and never shuts up. He probably doesn't know he is annoying but I am going to mute or avoid him anyways.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Let me talk about a perspective, not mine specifically but it is how I have felt a few times.

RP is like work. Playing a game is an escape. When someone comes in with heavy RP motivations it’s like being asked to work when all you want to do is casually banter with people while you escape.

If you say “hail”
    My reply is “/wave”

If you ask about lore, I’ll remain silent, because it’s not my topic. If you ask about a quest, a location, or theory crafting, I will be listening and will reply if I can add anything.

If you jump into discord and say hail, I will be silent. If you start RPing in discord, your volume will get lowered each time till muted.

Again, not necessarily my perspective. I am creating a mental picture for you. But it’s more about expectations on people’s time.

Logging in and doing ‘whatever’ without obligation.

Numa and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  13. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

In my experience, there are two problems with the RP community.

1 - People do things that aren't nice when anonymity is involved, which is most places on the internet, especially video games. Treating someone like garbage, toxicity in general, is rampant in video games. People that are different, for whatever reason, than the people who take advantage of the anonymity the internet provides usually become targets for toxic behavior. I am in no way condoning this, just simply making an observation.

2 - Some of the worst experiences I have ever had in video games involve role playing, or attempting to co-exist with role-players. In the MUD days, there were a lot of very good games that were RPM, role play mandatory. In my experience, when heavy role play is present, you either conform to what the majority of the roleplayers in that session want, or you get abused by them constantly, see my first point.

My all time worst experience in a video game was just trying to fit in with a group of roleplayers that refused to stop harassing me until I used the same words, said the same things, and stopped trying to be an original character in a game that was RPM. RPM MUDS, and the early MMORPG's were VERY cliquey back in the day. If they didn't like how you RP'd, they abused you until you stopped logging on. For gamers a little on the older side that tried RPing in the early days, this stigma has stuck - you were on one side of this or another, if it was the same side I was on, you likely developed a deep hatred for how the RP community treats people who they felt didn't belong.

Is that every RPer? Nah. It's nowhere near as bad as it used to be from what I can tell, but RPing was never my thing - even back then, when I tried to do it, it was only because the particular games were excellent for their time, and I enjoyed the mechanics. The only place that mentality still exists is, ironically, in the handful of MUDs still operating - which are almost exclusively still populated by the jerks I've been describing. They're also complete garbage since you can literally script your entire behavior and never actually play the game anymore. Oh well.

So yeah. RPers are mainly targeted because they're different and relatively easy to spot.

And maybe some older players like myself that tried to get into RP likely got pooped on a lot a few decades ago by a community that would put the average MOBA toxicity level to shame.

Numa, rild and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  14. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

All the non RPers share their view, very interesting.
    Just to say - completely nothing to do with my view of RP and playing a RPG Sandbox game. Just to say!!!
    Your Speculations and pov about RP is very STRANGE and sounds like a sect member defending his view of the world what is flat or something like that.
    Really i dont know where some assumptions come from or what it is regarding RP in a RPG Sandbox.

And btw. Let everybody play like he wants to play.
    Because again, good gamesystem lead even hardcore pk and anti RP players become roleplayers sometime, because the system is setup the way everything is about RP.
    And RP Flags are dumb like PvP flags are dumb. There can be protected Zones with Guards. Ups sorry they cant in SotA...
    And because of this @Vallin Tregres i want to RP with the whole Server population. I RP with the whole environment and you, because you are part of it, even if you are not around.
    I said Tavern RP and Socializing Events can be RP or are part of RPING, but that cannot be all, there need to be more.

@Tiki Pirate i once met a lot of those RP people who all want to be King and the evil Lord or the Master Mage, Artisan, Archer, the Knights Captain...
    Those are mostly poor Roleplayers.
    But there are plenty of Roleplayers who like to be a peasant, the Barmaid, a scholar or a squire or just the Gatekeeper Guard of a Town following their Captains Command and do their duty.
    This thread Shows me i was totally wrong to expect the Kind of roleplayer i expected from Ultima RPvP Shards. They sure all remain playing UO ob their Shards, because this is not the game where they can play like they want to play.

Have Fun - Stun

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. kaeshiva

kaeshiva Avatar

I think this sums it up quite beautifully.

I'm not a 100% all the time roleplayer, and the main reason for that is that well, most people aren't. I'll attempt to tentatively engage....and if the response I receive is out of character, then I drop it and move into casual banter mode. I don't try to do it in discord, I don't try to do it in guildchat.

Sometimes, people will play along. And that's fun. But if they don't, they don't. There's no point getting upset about it -just go find people who are interested instead.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Spoon and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure if this is a jab or not. It may very well be indicative of where to disconnect comes in.

This starts off and sets a tone of elitism and “you are not RPing correctly” A method to shut the door, evn if unintentionally shut. People will walk away from RP and never look back.

17. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Sorry of it sounds like this, but some non RPers talk about RP and they are talking BS imho.
    But i recognized there is a very different view of what RP and a RPG Sandbox is.
    I wont argue further.
    There are tons of RP styles and Roleplayers are often difficult to handle even to me.
    I'm not that sort of RP who wants to use swallow speech and force others to RP or whatever. One of my first posts here i stated i even RP with you if you talk completely nonsense to me.
    No, this thread Shows clearly i have a completely different view of RP and what a RPG sandbox game is.
    This game is not and beside very few people i also dont like how RP is done in this community or how it is percepted.
    Stuff like Helvig and Elgarion do is interesting anf nice, but that works only without pvp and true pk's.
    They are lucky that nobody is harrassing.
    And i would be someone to fight back and be a blue knight or mage or whatever .
    But cannot with this sort of a skillsystem.

I'm out again, have said all i want to say.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

For me, all that’s important for an RP event is the environment and a reason to be there. Lore about the location helps, but it’s not really needed. We have a roll system in this game for combat and various other checks. What more is needed? Everything else is more in the details of the explanation, which has nothing to do with game limitations.

As for the RP flag, it’s like the MyRP mod function in WoW where you can let others know if you’re in character or OOC. It’s more of a sign to other RPers that walk-ups are welcome rather than something that impacts the game like a PvP flag.

19. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

You exactly fit for the sort of RP SotA has, but this is not my version of RP.
    I've already quit, this discussion just encourages me to made the right decision.
    I wish you havong fun and that is honest , but to me this system and sort of RP is not what i expected and what i want or know from UO or SWG where the ssandbox and the gamemechanics regaring pvp and economy and interdependencies of characters take affect in RP and playing the game, where strength and weaknesses of your character and what he is able to do and what he is not able to do from a gamemechanics view are important how and what you can RP.
    This here is as is said Tavern RP and Second Life Socializing, but i want RPvX gameplay an systems.
    And this is not gonna happen here.

20. Fionwyn Wyldemane

Fionwyn Wyldemane Avatar

I love LB, but as far as the way I play my game and RP my character, I just refuse to be tracked into his vision of what it's all about. I agree with you Helvig, I am not going to be a 60 year old tech support rep and mother of two in this game...lol. No thanks. My character was not sucked into the game via my computer monitor and I will continue to RP Fionwyn as a former Rohirrim from Arda who fell into a rift and ended up in New Britannia.

As for the OP - I have encountered more people who refuse to RP than I have people who enjoy RP. I don't let it stop me and I encourage anyone and everyone who loves to do it, to keep doing it. Why do some people *hate* RP or dislike RPers? Who knows, who cares. I do my thing, they do theirs and hopefully no hard feelings on either side.

One last thing I will say on the topic is that there are *bad actors*. Their type of RP is malignant and filled with unnecessary negative drama. If there is any one thing that makes people shy away from RP it is those people who use RP as a vehicle for their BS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.