Roleplayer hate origins ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StrangerDiamond, Mar 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Maybe its just me being a nutcase then, but I find it difficult to role play with someone by voice if I cannot pronounce their name. And apologies, but I cannot pronounce your name! :-(

What shall we know you by then?

Numa, Kara Brae and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  2. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is my xorinite given name, its actually shortened for easier pronunciation :) I only use it on the forums... it means jolly ball of big sneeze mucous, they use it as a nickname to make fun of me because of my "slow wits" lol... I'm sure slow compared to them :D

My name in game is pronounceable :) If you want to pronounce this one think like a semi-held back sneeze, all at once... Ahua *eyn* jgkxs !

You can call me Ahu ! :D

3devious, Numa and Beaumaris like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Ahu. I'm sorry for your disappointments in your interactions with others. I don't even pretend to be a role player but in a way we all are right? If someone calls me m'lady or says hail to me that is totally cool. I talk in game how I talk for the most part, but if you think about it how often in real life do you tell someone about raising your fishing skill, or that you killed the dragon 16 times.

For whatever depth of the role of our character each of us takes is individual. I have heard players just chat about real life and not just a little but this game is their outlet to voice that with others, it is not something I do. In my own way playing this game I am my character Majoria while I'm playing, my real life is separate from this. I have voices in my head from lots of training classes I've taken over the years. Training in being present in the moments, and it doesn't have to go a certain way, it is going the way it should type of conversations lol.

Yeah yeah yeah we all have stuff/baggage ;) so we are not talking to anyone who is looking at the world in the same way we each individually do. They are just who they are. So please Ahu don't get your feelings so hurt with expectations for other players, rarely will anyone live up to expectations and so it is not a very powerful or strong place to stand in as our background conversation with anyone. I wish you many happy journeys in the game Ahu and I am not trying to tell you how to be. Of course not just some thoughts that run thru my mind which is by no means perfect and deep waters in there sometimes yikes ;) Ok a quote for this topic and *cheers* to you always.

[​IMG]

3devious and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Wow, interesting name. That's like saying I'm Xantksisk Spock Xtmprsqzntwlfd. Just call me Spock for short. Live long and prosper!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Peace, and long life brother :)

Sounds more Kobold than vulcan tho :p

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  6. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Thank you Majoria... you are right I did have expectations, its a niche game, and even our devs dress up and roleplay for live events, and the game also pushes me to being part of the story, which can't be done if you always ignore anyone that tries to participate in it ! It's a kind of expectations I guess... like entering a roleplay game, while roleplaying :)

I would have probably met you already if it weren't for my strong meta-gaming aversion :)

the more I think about it the more I take it lightly... those people that ignored me most have shrouds so they did complete the quests... I thought they'd like to help me because they had completed the game, I thought all innocently that maybe we could find something hidden while they help me re-do some scenes :)

So to them, it was ok to sit there and read through roleplaying, as long as it was with a NPC :p

Reminds me of the people who said we couldn't have players looting us, but NPCs looting us was ok, cause it wasn't conflict :p

So I guess I am the companion of conflict... its not a virtue, neither an anti-virtue lol :D

7. Soylent Green

Soylent Green Avatar

I like the notion that people who don't care to RP can be the person sucked in from earth but the ones who like to RP would be natives. Would be probably be cool if the RPRs could pick alternate races to RP too.

That way I can speak normal and RPs can speak RP and the interaction won't feel so awkward.

Womby and Ahuaeynjgkxs like this.
  8. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I was under the impression anyone who uses complete sentences and most likely corrects their own spelling before the Grammar Nazis even have a chance “Talks like a Roleplayer.” :D

That’s OK. Some people play this game to craft, some to adventure and some to bank off it. While they all may get bored after blowing through the current content and waiting for the next update RPers are always having fun.

This changes the classic RP situation because just being yourself, treating this as a game or alternate reality still canonically counts as RPing. The game forces everyone to be an RPer as even going out of your way NOT to RP is still RPing in this game. Hell, @Lord British IS RG!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

Regarding some of the earlier conversation....

Maybe its also important to note that even in the non-game version of role-playing, you're suposed to start off by being yourself... just assuming different circumstances.

ie. if a husband and wife are in family therapy, and they're asked to role-play eachother, its meant as an empathy building excerise. You play yourself in the other person's shoes.

If we look at good RPGs, its also a matter of taking the player as a person on a story, rather than the player as a character, even if they're playing in a particular character's shoes, so to speak.

Where I think writing backstories etc. in MMOs becomes interesting is where the player also becomes a storyteller in a way, for the other players. The writer of the story expands from the game dev to all the players, but the basic point remains the same.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Vallin Tregres like this.
  10. Ryodin Stormwind

Ryodin Stormwind Avatar

As a 14-16 year old in 1998-2000 playing UO, I was lucky enough to be accepted into a role-playing guild. Through that experience, I developed the ability to understand Old English which helped me to excel beyond my peers in all my literature courses even through college. While they were struggling to comprehend what was even said in the texts we were reading, I was already deciphering the deeper meanings. They found the language boring and difficult. I found it fun and engaging. In fact, I didn't just learn Old English. UO was a game that used a lot of really "advanced" words that I'd wager most players did not include in their vocabulary. As a high school student, being familiar with these words likewise gave me an advantage in my literature courses.

TLDR; UO and the role-playing community was a fun learning experience for me.

As far as role-playing in SotA is concerned, I would absolutely respect anyone who greets with "Hail". However, I'd posit that one may role-play without butchering the Old English if they don't feel comfortable using it.

Role-playing community brings an element to MMORPGs that no amount of programming can really satisfy (former game developer and senior level systems architect speaking here). Communities like this one should be grateful that the role-players help to bring life to the sandbox. Without them, it could be a rather dull experience.

To summarize my point, RP and non-RP community form a symbiotic relationship, and any successful MMORPG should take advantage of the free content that the RP community will provide to help satiate players in between major content releases. Shunning the RPers would be a colossal mistake, even if you don't plan to partake in their fantasy.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  11. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

While the RPer may use some Old English, just the common things you'd expect to see and even pick up from NPC dialogue, it's reasonable to say that they, an Avatar and foreigner to this world, have taken up some of the customs as to not stand out so much or as a courtesy to others in this land. While it may not be perfect, their goal might not be perfection, but rather an attempt to "fit in". Sure, if they wanna go all out and use phrases where I gotta decipher each sentence then more power to them. Though, even attempting to speak in such a way, hopping between Old English and New English (New England slang? :p), I'll just assume they are an Avatar adapting to the world around them.

12. Tiki Pirate

Tiki Pirate Avatar

Aye, if ye ever see me be fishn' the canals of Ardoris - feel free to RP. Ye may be gettin' a stinky fish on the house if ye listen to a tale or two.

After a few pints of grog, I've even been known to mount a fish or two. I once mounted a mermaid in Spindrift Bay...that be quite a tail.

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Verit and Kara Brae like this.
  13. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

If someone doesn't want to be social with you because you're a role player, I think it's a lot more likely that they don't want to ruin your experience than it is that they have some sort of problem with it.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and FrostII like this.
  14. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Aye Matey, 'twas a tail ........... :eek:

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Exactly! Please no butchering the language. I am always wondering about those Norgard NPCs. Is it meant to be a joke? Or do the devs not know the basics of early modern English grammar?
    You said you learned much that you could use in school later. Well.. from these NPCs you won't learn anything except words that don't exist (and never existed) and totally wrong grammar.

Btw: Most roleplayers I met do not do so by using a certain language. I roleplay in contemporary English, without using modern-day expressions, obviously. I -could- roleplay in Shakespearean English, but why should I?

16. Vallin Tregres

Vallin Tregres Avatar

I get the feeling you’ve all attended a rather poor RP event and thought to yourself “This is why non-RPers don’t RP.” The truth is, there are some valid reasons not to RP.

1: It’s boring because only a few designated people can actually effect a scripted story and the rest are only there to be an audience, participating or not.

2: All the events gonna be is us walking to some remote location, commenting on something, then WALKING to another distant location to repeat the process.

3: The Combat doesn’t matter because we will win or we’re intended to lose based on how the story is meant to progress. Where we’ll kill X number of apparently feeble, suicidal and idiotic Joe McGuffins before the story progresses.

4: Godmode.

We’ve all thought such things at one point and we know they are a few reasons people are turned off of RP. The biggest reason being “My character doesn’t matter.” If this is a result of your event then you’ve failed. The point of RP is that we aren’t telling a story, we are currently writing one with diverse input to come to a conclusion not of our own design. Hell, even if the RP is for your character to actually recap a past story the results should come from how it effects the listeners and how they might have reacted in your shoes.

Gonna end my salty rant... For now... WALKING!!! :mad:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  17. Hornpipe

Hornpipe Avatar

Real roleplayers should never use the "roleplay" word, in the first place.

Just imagine that it would be like Hamlet saying to Claudius : "I will kill you, but don't worry : we are just playing theater here."

Therefore, if someone is asking me : "Wanna RP?", I'm tempted to answer : "What are you talking about ?"

Also, keep in mind that we are all outlanders, coming from the actual Earth, which means that we don't necessarily have to act like if we were some middle-aged knights or something.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
  18. Numa

Numa Avatar

@Ahuaeynjgkxs there are two things I know of guaranteed to piss off or annoy players in the shortest possible time - non-consensual PvP and/or non-consensual roleplay.

Roleplay actually needs designated roleplay zones so people know that just by entering them they consent to roleplay. Just like PvP :)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    Ahuaeynjgkxs and Koss like this.
  19. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

I don't hate roleplayers.
    I just don't roleplay.
    If the RPs can get along with that i am more than willing to get along with their RP *shrugs*.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Numa like this.
  20. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

They funniest fact is: they play a Roleplaygame but dont like roleplaying.

It's like to play a racing game and dont like driving.
    That's whats wrong about games and communities today.
    They reduce RPG to the Tools and Toons and only care for optimization and such, but not a role.
    It's like playing a racing game with autopilot and break assistent etc...
    People dont roleplay roleplaygames they work and game them, they elaborate how to trick the system to become the strongest, riches, greatest.

That had 2 cause imo.

1st human nature more or less. Some are more the achievers types and want to grow all the time.

2nd developers know that and cater to that, try to satisfy this.

Conclusion, they implement timesink to hold people from real roleplaying and interacting, from being a part of the world, but a toon trying to trick, rule and own the world.

In a good RPG sandbox exist gamemechanics and limitations that bring people to RP that dont have any intention to do it, but the gamemechanics and setup is made the way people do it without to know, without to intend to, but the whole environment and setup leads to RP the RPG.
    E.g. Find the Healer who can cure this debuff, find the Master of X to learn or buy Y and have to ask for it and maybe negotiate ingame.

This is what failed for SotA more than i have ever seen , because they build the game around endless progression and not endless interaction needed.
    They build in timesink that is huge and they didnt care for a good economy or any other dependencies within players.

This is 2 things:
    A game for progress gamers aka i like grinding
    A game for socializers in a second life way of socializing.

For Roleplayers it's not that good.
    Maybe for Tavern style of Roleplaying.
    But to me RP is more, it would include a sort of meta game and all aspects like crafting/ economy and PvP of course.
    RP is not about we are all happy, drink and dance, it's also about conflict and organization of a toons life in the environment. Thats at least my Definition and there's a lot more.
    But Portalarium failed to create a sandbox and playing field where that is possible, because they setup things like they did. Driving people apart instead to lead them to interact, cooperate and compete.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.