Pets, Taming, and Ranching.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

what if they allow us to tame baby dragons and we have to bring them up from babies Game of Thrones style.

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

I know this is not what you meant but ... happy medium? They grow up to be 10ft long and eat deer :) )

Komodo Dragon: Venomous Bite,
    [​IMG]

Grayhawk and Kuno Brauer like this.
  3. Margard

Margard Avatar

I would like to see this idea if say in episode one the dragon ages only 1-3 years (stays baby) by the time episode 5 rolls around you'll have a 5-15 year old dragon (pre-teen so still not that strong)

NirAntae likes this.
  4. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It comes down to game balance, really depends on how the taming skill works. Since it isn't a combat skill you run into PVP issues where a tamer will always be better than a non-tamer with that extra damage ability. So everyone who wants to pvp will need to tame. Or they have to figure out a way to diminish your combat ability while using combat pets, such as your pet puts slugs in your deck. and so a Dragon might add 25 slugs to your deck where as a wolf would only put like 5. You'd basically need to make it so your dragon is doing most of your fighting for you.

NirAntae likes this.
  5. Margard

Margard Avatar

In general I see pet's as fulfilling an auxiliary role - help you hunt, track, scout, carry, forage and increase chance of escaping combat ... not so much as a combat partner. I know combat is a big draw and dev's have to account for it. With that in mind I'ved stayed away from fantasy creatures in my suggestions.

I agree that pets should have a small number of limited skills and attacks should only be auto attacks (not a skill that a player can activate)

6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey you could raise Sherry the mouse's strength and equip armor on her :)

7. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Ahh well keep in mind there are 2 systems. 1 is a pet system, social and combat pets, and then we hit the stretch goal for taming which expands that pet system to allow taming monsters for pets. So it sounds like there will be some pets not for combat and some for combat. And you don't need to tame to be able to have some of them.

Isaiah likes this.
  8. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

you think game time will be identical to earth time? I think not. you might see 15 years in year one alone.

EDIT: I think a teenage dragon might be able to do some damage, and a baby dragon should be tougher than a wolf by quite a bit!

Gabriel Nightshadow and Mishri like this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

i never thought of tamers as being that good in PvP. Dragons are tough but usually the tamer is the weak point. One on one the tamer (and dragon) against one warrior. The dragon gets a command to strike, the warrior runs over and kills the tamer in two or three hits as the dragon runs around trying to get the warrior. Then the warrior slowly but surely kills the dragon, and res kills the tamer every time he comes back. lol

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

Good to know, thanks :)

Is there a list of New Britannia monsters? Would be nice to have on hand so I can make more suggestions ... what tamable creatures did they have in UO?

11. Margard

Margard Avatar

My thinking is to drastically reduce their in game growth rate for balance sake ... considering as you have already pointed out, dragons are exceptional strong creatures

HokageFont likes this.
  12. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

depends on how you played, you just needed to be defensive as a tamer. Most people made PVE tamers, animal taming, animal husbandry, vet, magery, eval int, meditation, resist spells. The pvp tamer was basically the same but drop vet and add wrestling. Tamers seemed to dominate pvp especially once you got 3 or 4 together, and when they could have multiple dragons at once.

Generally i'd just issue kill order then go invis and be ready with cures/heals. I didn't worry about damage, just stayed near my dragon and tried to stay alive.

Isaiah likes this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

here is a complete list:

http://www.uoguide.com/Tameables

Most of the monsters came out with expansions. but the drake, dragon, giant spiders, frost spider, giant ice serpent, mongbat, greater mongbat, imp, slime, white wyrm were monsters you could tame in UO vanilla. with T2a scorpions, lava lizards, hellcat large and small, nightmare, hell hound, ostards, giant toads were added.. then the others after that.

So far very little is known about monsters in SoTA, what you see in the demos mostly.

14. Margard

Margard Avatar

Cape Buffalo: Knock Down attack: Critical strike - armor breakage
    - The adage an elephant never forgets would be matched by a buffalo never forgives. They have been known to attack people that have harmed them even years after the event.
    - Buffalo are reported to kill more hunters in Africa than any other animal. They are known to ambush hunters that have wounded or injured them.
    - Cape buffalo have exceptional memories. I have often been approached by buffalo that I have not seen for many years, which are tactile and demand affection.
    - A buffalo has four times the strength of an ox, according to research by Dr. John Conde — he tested their pulling strength. This explains why they are able to tip a motorcar.

[​IMG]

Numa and Kuno Brauer like this.
  15. Shadowhawk

Shadowhawk Avatar

Love all the ideas presented here! I think the way to control the amount of creatures on an owners lot is to tax the amount of creatures based on the size of the property. Maybe if the owner is irresponsible and the creature is loose in the streets they are issued a fine. If it attacks citizens (npcs or players) fine and imprisonment...lol

HokageFont likes this.
  16. Margard

Margard Avatar

Thought a little more about the animals I would hope to see in came with possible auxiliary abilities

Red Fox (Dungeon crawling)
    1. Trap Detection
    2. Hidden Item Detection
    Gray Wolf (Gathering Support)
    1. Track Animals ( large hoofed mammals, like elk, deer, moose and caribou )
    2. Bleed Attack
    Silver Ferret (Gathering Support)
    1. Track Herbs ( wild fruit & berries, grasses, mosses, etc. )
    2. Dances when danger (anything) approaches
    Great Dane (Bounty Hunting/Pack Animal)
    1. Track Humans
    2. Extra inventory bag
    Mountain Goat (Exploration/Pack Animal)
    1. Find Hidden Passages/Entrance in Wilderness
    2. Extra inventory bag
    Ocelot (Hunting Support)
    1. Capture Prey (rabbits, birds, fish, crabs, lizards and snakes)
    Gyrfalcon (Defense Support, Huntimg Support)
    1. Detect Hidden Enemies
    2. Capture Prey (pheasant, fish, rabbits or snowshoe hares)
    Komodo Dragon (Battle Support)
    1. Venomous Bite (Critical Strike = Paralysis)
    Cape Buffalo (Battle Support/Pack Animal)
    1. Knock Down Attack (Critical Strike = Armor Breakage)
    2. Two extra inventory bags

17. Margard

Margard Avatar

Pack Saddle
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Grayhawk likes this.
  18. Margard

Margard Avatar

Pet Companion Behavior

Red Fox:
    1. Auto Detect Trap and Treasure … When the fox is within a specified radius the fox walks over to the trap or hidden item and hunches over and wags tail
    Gray Wolf:
    1. Active skill Track: Owner activates track skill: Gray wolf smells the ground, growls and walks in the direction of prey (no mini map with radar)
    Silver Ferrets:
    1. Auto Detect When Owner approaches Herbs, wild fruit & berries, grasses, mosses, etc. … with-in a detection radius the Ferret walks over to Herbs, wild fruit & berries, grasses, mosses, etc. and jumps in the air
    2. Auto Warning When enemies enter the sensory radius of the ferret it rounds around in circles
    Great Dane:
    1. Active skill Track Human : the Great Dane smells the ground, barks and walks in the direction of prey (no mini map with radar)
    Mountain Goat:
    1. Auto Detect Hidden Passage … Makes Goat noise, charges and stops in front of the entrance
    Ocelot:
    1. Active Skill and Hunt Mode ... Makes Ocelot noise runs of and if successful returns with prey in mouth
    Gyrfalcon:
    1. Active Skill Detect Hidden ... Makes Falcon Noise, Flies in Circles, Returns and mini map appears with a red blotch where an enemy is located or multiple blotches (within a certain area)
    Komodo Dragon:
    1. Follows and Auto AttacksAggressive: Auto attacks all creatures
    Cape Buffalo:
    1. Follows and Auto AttackPassive: Attacks only if owner is attacked

HokageFont likes this.
  19. Margard

Margard Avatar

Would you have to find a dragon egg? and would your system require that we feed it; what would it eat (I'm thinking we would have to hunt for deer, rabbit meet etc)

And how would you train it? running around killing things?

20. Margard

Margard Avatar

@Link_of_Hyrule

Do we have to have a home to store our tamed animals or is there a way for non-home owners to have a storing spot and what number of stored animals do you forsee us having?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.