I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

You do realize that this was exactly the point with the post you quote, right?
    He REPLIED to a real life comparison.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  2. Datus

Datus Avatar

People just got too good at it and it became an annoyance to those who didn't live their lives playing UO, as well as it detracting from other aspects of the game.

The intention was to have the appropriate checks to balance the criminal element. It never panned out that way. They just didn't have the right level of code. UO's attempt at a law enforcement system was guards standing around like dummies at city lines. There was no active law enforcement riding out and trying to purge the land of wrong doers.

In reality, a land such as Felucca (or Mortal Online), kingdoms would cease to exist at all, as the constant lawlessness would decimate any try at a civilization. The world of Ultima then, would have to be recreated as a game of feudalism, battlegrounds, or straight up barren wasteland.

Let's be honest though, the cry for open world PVP isn't fueled by the interest for true warfare. Otherwise just play a game where you have to pit your player skill vs another. MMOs are bad PVP arenas, because skill gain and levels make for unbalanced playing fields - which from my experience is exactly what many PVPr's seek. An easy kill!

3. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I honestly don't understand how PKing and griefing can possibly be considered a form of accomplishment? A parasitical existence preying off other people's work isn't something good or to look up to. Taking the example of the mining ore - You're there, gathering a resource for X amount of hours. A PKer waits until you're distracting, in the middle of counting or sorting, mid-swing and *bam* you're dead with a repair bill, they're 20 ore richer, with very little to no effort since you were likely in farming not fighting mode. Parasite 20 ore - you 7 points. Parasite waits for you to return and go back to work, then when you've done the work for them... *bam* Rinse and repeat.

How does that add to the game in any way? Except giving a parasitical player a means to acquire resources they couldn't necessarily gather on their own, since their skills would be more balanced towards killing characters who are balanced more towards tradegood skills, providing the parasite with goods which they can then onsell, or trade to get better gear so that they can prey better?

(Its kind of how I imagine certain groups play EVE Online from some of the tales I've heard told)

In all honestly, an Ultima where we're Avatars, involving Virtues, should either have no PKing, or have each 'murder' weakening your character more and more to the point where no matter how much a PKer grinds their skills, a farmer can tap them with their hoe and kill them, and the PKer shall remain at that weakness until the amounts of their deaths are equal to the amount of their kills x8. Humility overcoming Pride, Destard, Shame et al. And of course, killing a PKer/Griefer should strengthen the farmer since its killing an Evil Creature.

Of course, if they want, they could add in PvP minigames like roped off areas, perhaps 105m x 68m, where two groups must brawl it out by any means possible over the possession of a small black and white spherical ball, and kick it into 7m sections on opposing sides of the field in order to score points, or until the other side succumbs to their injuries. That sounds like a good medieval style of combat game.

... or sieges. Sieges ala WAR can be fun as well.

4. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

You should have made a aliance with a anti pk guild that would guard your events Even has mercenaries!

TemplarAssassin and blaquerogue like this.
  5. Sarek

Sarek Avatar

There are thousands of PVP based game options where you can go up against real players. The key negative in a sandbox world is simple, you will have the creative types that want to build something constructive, they typically craft, role play etc - then you have the other half of the coin, the something for nothing brigade that just play for the lolz you noob, who will teabag you whilst telling you to get good. o_O How will that work for your immersion? Not the sort of thing I like to find in my sandbox thanks.

Sweeping generalisations I know but it is an observation from a point of view, taken from being a looong time gamer who was watch many cycles of evolution. Its a tragic microcosm of societies "progression", I know its been like that for an eon but sometimes the scales tip too far in one direction.

But I have faith, the foresight of building a game supporting multiple engagement modes tells me one thing. The SotA team are well aware of problems multiple play styles presents and I am sure they will find a good balance. I would love to exist in the full online world and be part of the community, if it turns out that the community isn't worth my time or contribution then I am more than happy to play offline or with friends only. Genius design choice in my opinion

docdoom77 likes this.
  6. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

In my opinion the mistake of that guild was meeting in the same place over and over, just waiting to get pkd, you guys shouldve moved to an undisclosed place (only known amongst your guild) and preferably not in the open waiting for attack! When i played UO i had my own guild we met in my keep, only guild could get in, no one else, even when people could hide and sneak in i had a gm tracker that could spot them, and the tables would be turned and safe zone was our keep! None of us ever died during a meeting!

7. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Meetings for some isn't like warzones. They are meetings. Saying that a if people want to roleplay or have any events, should look like preparing for war is a bit off here. Besides, Mugly said this town was their roleplay "grounds". Roleplay isnt just something that should be done somewhere secretive and well hid in fear of people coming to ruin it. I agree that a random raid at some point might help evolve the rp in that town, but to constantly raid a town just to ruin people's rp without even offering a roleplay reason, it is quite annoying.

docdoom77 and NRaas like this.
  8. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

I know miners are not particulary bright... But going to mine in the same spot where he was killed by a pk is dumb in two ways....
    1• there is a chance that the roaming parasite pk is still around and will kill the miner again for sport
    2• there is no ore there you mined it b4 you die

9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah but the reds really didnt care, it was a group of victims in one spot "shooting fish in a barrel" Reds didnt really care so you had to work around that. I understand the RP aspect well, but sometimes you just need to be aware, that maybe the reds were RPing as well. Or maybe not lol!

apoc01, Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  10. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

So what you suggest is people to stop RP-ing. Or limit it to one house, which is like asking a pvp-er to pvp only via duel invitation.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

No, just saying if your RPing in a dangerous area be ready to be attacked by reds.

apoc01 and Time Lord like this.
  12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Or you could Hire someone from "Mercenaries Inc." to throw down security! Thats my RP guild/organization.

apoc01, Time Lord and TemplarAssassin like this.
  13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

AND
    This is exactly my point - a misunderstanding of playstyles. You can't just tell someone that they are playing wrong, you should have done this, you should have done that. We are not dummies. And we aren't going to adopt your type of play because you don't understand or respect our type of play. You may as well have told us to arm our children and give weapons to old ladies.

BTW, while it wasn't a perfect solution we did eventually solve the problem. We moved to Trammel.

docdoom77 and Maka like this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Mugly Mugly Mugly! we were just giving advice to help out your situation there, maybe give you ideas for future reference!? I did mention my guild is RP! so i know how RP is played. Didnt mean to rub you wrong!

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Guild warfare feature will hopefully allow guilds that want to mainly PvE, to also PvP selectively.

16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah that will help alot, but if one of your guild getS attacked cause their in pvp mode, will you not jump in to help him out? and will that make you a criminal for attacking and killing a pkr?

Time Lord likes this.
  17. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Ofcourse I will. Possibly drag the whole guild as well, but whether this will make me a criminal or not will depend on the "rules" the devs will apply to brand a player "criminal". We will have to wait and see.

18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah thats the question there, goes back to where i was saying if i feel i want to help out a guild and attack thier enemy with them, does than make me a criminal? I dont think it should i think it should be a choice you get in a pop up "do you wan to help guild so and so with thier warfare" yes/no then attack, but not just roll up and attack have it stop you like it did in UO and stating, "by doing this it will flag you criminal". I kind of like that option because it made me think before i clicked yes or no.

Time Lord likes this.
  19. Morghanu

Morghanu Avatar

Never stop rping, that what makes this game great.... But If you nkow you get atacked you have two options... Usuallly rpers dont like to pvp so you recruit pvpers and create a pvp division for your guild....
    Other solution is to hire , at least on Atlantic there was couple of mercenaries that would be more than happy to defend your meetings / events... For a sum Ofc

TemplarAssassin, Seon and blaquerogue like this.
  20. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Yes Morghanu, you are correct. Was in Europa and participated in RP-PVP so I know what you mean.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.