I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah our guild in Lake Superior was the same "CYS" - "Consider Your Sins", was one of those rp guilds we loved hunting down PKs! Since all of us were disgruntled victims at one time! lol

2. Aeryk

Aeryk Avatar

We did this. There were sufficient numbers that enjoyed playing as militia. Interesting fights however were rare. Most often when we were present the PK types would stay away. If we were not present the PK types generally moved elsewhere or logged out once we showed up. We also patrolled (either as groups or individuals) the hot spots for PK activity (e.g. miner's caves, certain dungeons, the infamous crossroads). This was somewhat more rewarding -- however it was still far more common to run around and find nothing to do.

By far the most fun i've had in PvP is when there are common objectives. As other have mentioned, sieges, battlegrounds (scenarios where numbers are restricted), and the like.

Seon and blaquerogue like this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Total agreement with you there when we were present the Pks would normally stay away!

Time Lord and Aeryk like this.
  4. tuchaka

tuchaka Avatar

This is a big concept right there and one of the reasons repetitive raiding with massive vertical progression to me is designed not to produce lasting memories so people trade that for more powerful gear, which only allows you to raid more...snoozers.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Cazador

Cazador Avatar

I just have a gut feeling that it'll be cookie cutter pvp in SoTa but I digress I still have donated and continue to follow it in the hopes that RG that satisfy all play styles weather it be a nefarious PK, a traveling bard, a master craftsman, an auctioneer, a roleplayer, or a powerful warrior..time will tell..all have been solidified minus the pvp. Still hoping it's not yet another let down, that forces a lot of us back into the search for that Ultimate RPG..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

My advice to you @blaquerogue or to the aforementioned PKs (I'm not calling you a PK) is that you first
    - read each person's bio
    - engage them in conversation
    - consider whether you would attack a child or old lady
    - disarm and remove your helmet when entering an abode
    - don't go armed and armored to a non-war event
    - offer due respect and compliment to another
    before you even consider attacking.

Does this advice make any sense to you given your chosen playstyle? I think not. My point is that I can't advise you from my view of play and expect you to modify your different type of play to fit my view.

[edit for typos]

docdoom77 likes this.
  7. Ultima Aficionado

Ultima Aficionado Avatar

The argument against an open world is a poor one at best. Coincidentally, these same players are arguing that in some weird way invisible barriers promote roleplaying. I played Ultima Online for years (1998-2003). There were an abundant amount of roleplaying guilds. In fact, Ultima Online had a thriving roleplaying community. Roleplaying in Ultima Online surpassed any other game to date. There were orcs who roleplayed as evil characters that attacked anyone who trespassed on their land without providing tribute. THAT is roleplaying, not wandering around in a world with invisible barriers protecting adults from making decisions they desire to make. Leave that to amusement parks and World of Warcraft, that is not Ultima.

Shroud of the Avatar should not seek to capture an audience from games akin to World of Warcraft, there are plenty of clones out there already. The free server IPY 3 has been canceled and there are over 1000 veteran Ultima Online players seeking a new place to go. Azaroth (the former shard owner) has directed players to Shroud of the Avatar and other free servers. These players will never migrate here with a baby cradling rule set.

Ultima was a great game which allowed players the freedom to be an evil character (an evil mage locked in a tower, an orc, or vikings who sailed their ships and launched attacks on Britannia). There has been no game since that has adequately filled that void. It is quite clear that a game such as this one should seek an audience interested in Ultima ideals, which includes the freedom to choose what you want to do for yourself without developer imposed restrictions.

apoc01 and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

Without risk and danger the world would be a boring place.

apoc01 and Ultima Aficionado like this.
  9. Margard

Margard Avatar

This game will not feature raiding nor will we have a grind for gear based game

The only PvP that has been disused is guild war - where they can declare war on one another (possibly open PvP between them)

- I made some clarifications below

10. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

Disused? in what sense?

11. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Oh please, that was 15 years ago.

Every other MMO to date since has shown that when you open up for pvp without consent, it becomes mayhem, even in the cookiecutter like wow, any open pvp world is FILLED with griefers and chldish behavior.
    it worked 15 years ago when everyone was new, but it doesnt work any longer. Every game, every UO server, every project that tried the same ..

So why do you insist on saying that it 'wont be a problem' etc etc
    There need to be harsh, big punishments for chosing the 'bad' paths in MMOs, or it wont work.

Statloss in UO was a fine example, and if you come up with somelike like that for sota, than i will be willing to change my mind and open up for open pvp.

Suggestions:
    - Karma is account bound, no jumping around on alts and making new characters.
    - Statloss for murderers.
    - No entering towns of any kind of sort..

etc.

docdoom77, Xandra7, Sarek and 2 others like this.
  12. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Do you have a reference on the second statement? Thank you.

13. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Open world PvP does indeed create a rich world for roleplaying. It's why there was great debate whether to move our guild to Trammel when it opened up. Unfortunately, from an RP view, open world PvP also creates a world full of psychopathic killers.

blaquerogue and docdoom77 like this.
  14. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

That is not entirely true. Full Time PVP Guilds was part of a Stretch goal, but they have mentioned numerous times quest based PVP as well. An example was one player accepts a quest to deliver a package, and another accepts a quest to "intercept" the package.

My guess is PVP will be dynamic with areas and instances flagged for open PVP by the state of the world, accepted quests or story-based events.

15. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

I do remember LB saying something about crafted gear would be on par with looted ones. Its in one of the hangouts, someone asked that question and RG answered it.

16. Margard

Margard Avatar

It is a statement made by RG - he does not want to "focus" or feature a "raiding game" in the conventional way that we have come to understand raiding like WoW .... he does not believe that its realistic to have a ultra mob waiting for you to be killed over an over ... this does not mean that you would not have to group up to kill a powerful mob but I think they want to do it more organic ... so let me rephrase by saying the focus will not be raiding (also because this game is also a single player game) ... I'll look for it, but I make no promises :)

In terms of PvP - it was a stretch goal: but they have not given any details on the matter

Tarsilion likes this.
  17. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Sorry, but this is neither a reference, nor is it what the statement was. It can be a grind even if crafted gear would be the same, as long as both crafting and fighting/looting was a grind.

18. Margard

Margard Avatar

I was not trying to imply that this was the only PvP :), I forgot the transport quest ... but it seems that some of these folks are looking for open PvP ;)

blaquerogue likes this.
  19. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

Thank you. I guess combining non-grind fighting and not making crafting more powerful (which I however doubt considering the statements made about crafting) would explain it.

20. Kain3

Kain3 Avatar

It was somethign along these lines, though. Crafting requires resources gathering. If you refer to it as grinding, then yes there will be grinding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.