The website looks really good

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Barugon, Oct 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lained

Lained Avatar

It looks like an IE11 bug with background inheritance, so the background-color doesn't work either. Weird thing though is it shows in Edge even though the Edge dev tools doesn't show the inheritance either.

tphilipp likes this.
  2. unicornslady

unicornslady Avatar

Howdy!

Here's my input.

Your splash page looks good. Although having your trailer button dump you down to the bottom of page is a bit disappointing. I thought originally that the video at the bottom of the page was a second video to tease me with more yummy goodness. Also, you should put your latest teaser video on your splash page, not one that is half a year old. If you do have two videos on your splash page, then you can have your Co-op video as the second video.

The All Updates page....

Just Say NO! to Banner Ads!!!! It looks like Dark's carnival has just rolled into town. A stack of Banner ads is just sooo (poorly done) 1990's websites and should not be brought back.
    I understand the need to trumpet various specials & sales, but five banner ads is way too much. It gives the feeling that I'm looking at a Pay to Win game and that other than these ads there isn't anything worth looking at on this page. If you have to have them, I heavily suggest one slowly scrolling banner ad with swipe arrows at the top of the page or over on the right as a box ad. Taking over the Play for Free box ad and making the box space a bit longer might be the way to go.

Next, why the teaser video? I could see it being there if it was new, but it isn't. When we didn't have weekly Livestreams on this page, an old teaser video had more of a reason to be here.

The background looks good and on my Firefox it is rock solid, but on my old Internet Explorer it vibrates when I scroll up or down.

The Store...

Works fine on my Firefox, but I can only buy one item at a time on my old Internet Explorer & the background vibrates when I scroll.

The Account Page...

I bought some items on both of my accounts last night for the telethon using a credit card and sure enough, it was asking for me to update my address again on both accounts.

All in all, except for what I noted, the site looks sharp. And it looks better than some of the competition. :)

tphilipp, Rentier and majoria70 like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree about the wall of ads. They could be tiled along the bottom of game pics and videos as mentioned. I just don't like it presented this way people will miss what the game is about. Just coming to the website won't show off the game or get new people engaged with banners of adds the first thing you see imo.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
    tphilipp, Rentier and Jaesun like this.
  4. tphilipp

tphilipp SotA Dev Moderator SOTA Developer

Ok, I really need to test it more on IE11 :-/

Rentier likes this.
  5. tphilipp

About the banner ads: for the input that's not about the design of the site, I would suggest starting a new thread about it. I am not in any position to make changes to that, so someone else needs to be bugged about it.

What version is "old" IE?

So I guess the Qty boxes are broken on this old IE? I hope I can redo this ... yeah... poor way to implement a cart, soon (which was born out of historic limitations we had with some middleware, and unfortunately we never had enough time to redo this entirely).

The broken check leading to update the address again will be removed shortly. More details here: https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...cal-goods-address-verification-update.143791/
    Sorry for still having to deal with that!

Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Rentier likes this.
  6. Cage Storm

Cage Storm Avatar

I like the new look website, very nice, good job.

tphilipp likes this.
  7. tphilipp

So, about Chrome getting stuck sometimes (often) on the add-on store:

I *think* I found the issue, and all I can do is work around it as it seems like it's a Chrome bug. Somehow the background image made Chrome freeze up halfway through being loaded, but not always. I replaced the background image with.... well, itself, just encoded differently (and as an added plus, also smaller), and it seems to work reliably now. Please report if it still freezes on someone's setup, I at least don't seem to experience it anymore in my repro attempts.

Thanks!

Jaesun and Rentier like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.