I don't get all the concerns about Open PvP

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by OldSpice, Jan 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

And Luckily, this game will please many people. They are trying to make it good for everyone. The this game is not UO argument is getting old and lame. It is a successor to the ultima series including UO (Whether you belive UO was part of the series or not.. I know what LB thinks..) If it wasn't, they wouldn't bother with multiplayer.

@GB Difference being, everyone who looked at those metrics were more interested in marketing numbers and making an easy game that keeps people pacified and happy and paying another 15 bucks to get the next level or piece of gear in the new upgrades. They had a target demographic that they knew how to keep happy. The last batch of MMOs have been made for making profits in mind rather than a great game first. That is what I believe anyhow... If SOTA starts to sell lunch boxes and T-Shirts in Walmart and starts marketing to children. You know your game is about making money instead of quality game.

If Trammel were never created, UO would still be thriving. People would still be playing it and praising it and perhaps Open PvP.
    Trammel did add safety, but it also put the fast forward on EASY money making. Once people had the taste of easy victory, why would they bother to play a game where they can lose?

ALSO.. The look at past games argument is void... Just because that game has not yet been invented, doesn't mean it can't be done. Frankly, no one has bothered to actually really properly try.
    Also, you will see PvPers in this game, sorry to tell you. You might not have to fight them, but the people you loathe so much will be in game.

2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I think the slider is hypothetical right now. At best it's in development in some form or other. That's why I think our arguments are so important to the game. We need to keep going after our perspectives so that we can convey our ideas and positions to the development team.

TL;DR - We need to keep arguing! ;)

apoc01 and blaquerogue like this.
  3. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Well said

4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I dont know? because they have been so gung ho on it so far, from what ive seen and heard. I really hope there is an option to opt out of the full loot pvp or opt in to full loot pvp, so far the latter doesnt look bright with full loot pvp.

Ill keep arguing as long as we dont get hostile with each other! And as long as Koldar doesn't go on a banning spree! lol normally when that happens i move to something different for awhile!

5. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

What's to try? If you want full loot and open PvP then that's super easy! Just take off all the controls. Not a good argument.

Trammel didn't do anything to the economy in UO, Felucca did, as they tried to coax people to enter it by tripling the material drops and adding the power scrolls to Fel only dungeons. All this allowed things to get way out of hand especially when PvP guilds started camping and farming the dungeons and the population in Fel tapered off so gatherers had more chance to take advantage of the huge drop increase. You have quite the revisionist historical perspective there....

This will not be UO2 and it's been stated from the top of Portalarium. They learned lots of lessons and they are probably not going to be repeating the things that damaged their previous games.

Finally, I think it's interesting that you are under the impression that they are only in this for the making of the game. They want to make money. They are planning on making money and they will do whatever they can to make money. They may be using their love of games to do it, but they want that phat cheddah! The cabbage! Greenbacks! Samolians!

6. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

We're being pretty nice right now. I don't think @Koldar has anything to complain about.

Skalex and blaquerogue like this.
  7. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

People who dont want open pvp..simply are over thinking it n somehow think it turns into a kill fest.. there was alot of disadvantages to being a pker in uo.. u couldnt even go into town..anyone could attack you without gettin bad karma.. there was plentys.. it was almost rare to see a pker.. you guys also dont understand what it adds to the game.. u have guilds created n paid to protect people you have the thrill of never knowing whats gonna happen and also its great to get attacked by a pker n u end up killin them.. its was hard for a pker to get resurrected. Some of you guys are takin it to far.. once u see how many more dimensions it adds to the game youll end up loving it.. I get that this game prob wont be as free world open pvp as pre trammel uo but if its close ill continue to pledge n play.. if not I will simply stop pleding n playing.. n will b very upset that I thought it was gonna be a true spiritual successor to uo.. im excited to see if its free world open pvp or not.. if not im so excited I might just go back to playing free shard uo.. im buying a top of line computer for this game.. I wanna feel how old made me feel.. I belive in garriot he knows free world is the way to go.. he also knows ppl agiasnt it will love it once they see the thril it adds.. he knows that thousands of ppl still playing uo will switch to sota if its free world open pvp.. I camt wait.. ps I got seriously famous on baja n atlantic as PaCO from being a pker ppl either hated or loved me but they all respectes me.. it was a blast

apoc01, Skalex and blaquerogue like this.
  8. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

Oh, I don't know. I think a lot of people do remember what it was like and they didn't enjoy it. Agree to disagree?

9. Skalex

Skalex Avatar

No. Your just take off all the controls is not a good argument either.

The trending consensus in the forums seems to be that the key to successfully implementing Open-PvP is the implementation of a solid penalty system.
    THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE WELL IN ANY GAME. So, the argument that a karma based or penalty based PvP system can't happen is again VOID.
    Just because it hasn't been done yet, doesn't mean it's impossible. Man used to live in caves, now he plays SOTA, perhaps he can create a functioning Open-PvP system.

I guess it depends how recently in history you look... and keyword being you said it, PERSPECTIVE. I have mine, you have yours. It's great.
    Also, sounds to me like the trippling materials thing was an attempt to fix what had already been broken by Trammel.
    That stuff didn't happen until after I quit the game. When I was still playing, pretty much everyone in Trammel would be riding nightmares and have 4 tamed dragons with them, wearing full colored plate suits.

I know it will not be UO2. I don't want that either. I think people are happy for something NEW.
    They did learn lessons, and they did also state that they want to implement that visceral feeling of danger and excitement from early UO.
    PvPers make money too..

I realise that this game will not be Open-PvP.. I do believe there will be Open-PvP zones.
    They truly are trying to please everyone and I think everyone will be equally pleased and disappointed. That's my hope I guess.

apoc01 likes this.
  10. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

Sure.. but I strongly strong ly disagree lol.. I seen thousands of ppl quit uo.. when trammel came around..myesmppl joined also but thats cuz ea started promoting advertising the game... when uo ppl went to wow they came back simply cuz u lived a life that everyon else had to live.. in free world open pvp you create your own story n skalex youre right..

apoc01 likes this.
  11. Robby

Robby Avatar

Well for me now, its about like the monopoly game analagy I made earlier. If you land on my square you owe me 50 bucks of your monopoly cash.
    In SotA if we are questing and I PK ya then I get to loot ya. I feel that I have came up with a pretty decent quest based way of doing this. Say your at a certain point in the game and theres a bright shiny path ahead of you full of trees, happy easter bunnies, colorful unicorns. But to your right there is a cave. Upon examining the cave the game gives you a bit of story and lore about it. If you actually take the time to read the lore you will learn that it leads to a city in the mountains or something with lots of treasure, but that it is "a very lawless place, and the potential for crime here is very high due to the lack of guard patrols, enter at your own risk". There is open pvp and loot/full loot depeding on wether or not we want to limit that to even higher risk areas yet. So your basically notified of the fact that you could be stolen from, murdererd, and looted in this cave just through the lore. You dont need to have a silly check box as to wether or not you want to pvp and loot you just go through the story and play the game the way you like. Lets say, that this cave is only open for players that are at a certain point in the game. So your level 10 to 15 and you havent defeated the lich terrorizing the city yet your able to enter the cave. Now, heres how this adds excitement for us full loot non-consensual pvp types: there is a variation in level, plus a variation in item drops for every player up to this point, plus we all added to our skills differently. So if one player dominates another, it could be because they choose skills more wisely, got better drops, or might be closer to level 15 than 10. It gives enough randomization, differing strengths to create a PvP environment that isnt the same boring colliseum that UO or WoW is. Where everyone who PvP's has maxed out all their skills and stats and basically completed all the quests in the game, there is NO story or quest value to the PvP. It might as well be a demolition derby. Ideally if anyone steps into the "PvP cave" I created, they wouldnt be whacked by gank squads that camp around the area. I want an interesting suspensful PvP scenario, where if you are walking through the dark cave with a lantern and you spot another player, the chances of you actually coming into conflict with each other are low. I want people to walk through the cave knowing that they are indeed in danger of being attacked by another player. But actual murdering needs to be unlikely. A full blown murder in the cave shouldn't always result in you being able to loot everything everytime. Perhaps we could have some kind of "dice roll" kind of thing for the player who chooses to murder another player. They, upon slaying you, roll to determine wether or not the rest of the victim's "Party" (wether he travels with a party or not) captures you and slays you and loots all your goods! Along with bringing their unconscious comrade back to the dungeon entrance. I think im onto something, but I feel like it has gone way to far in the favor of the victim.... hmmmm

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Endest

Endest Avatar

This is the heart of why progression based PVP is so annoying and such a failure in the MMO market. Competitive PVP games are massive (LoL, SC2, DOTA2,WoT, etc) because they are fair fights based on skill. Not gank squads, not epic items, not max levels/skills. Fortunately the devs have already said that forced PVP will not exist in SOTA so we can look forward to a great old school RPG adventure.

docdoom77 and Phredicon like this.
  13. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Quote for your claim?

14. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

Ahhh no they did not say that... lol n the devs know what people want and its to write are chars own story in a free world... there not dumb.. non full pvp is just other wow.. full pvp free world is another ground breaker where ppl get wrapped up in there char n want to b the best..alot of you folks that dont like full pvp have never played it..when I started uo I got pked nnit just msde me want to get better.. id write there name down in my journal nthe nxxt 8 yrs took revenge on the pkers n made money protecting ppl to.. it was a blast.. assoon as u try full pvp free world.. youre gonna say wow this isnt bad at all... n im not gettin ganked like I thought I swould cuz being a pker is hard n theres alot of disadvantages its rare to see a pker.. it really was.. its not hell like u guys are thinking. It adds so much direct and indirect stuff to the game.. plus like I said.. everyone should b able to write there own story.. games are about getting away from ur own life n living another the way you want.. have fun people and try it.. youre gomma love it

apoc01 likes this.
  15. Maximus Katse

Maximus Katse Avatar

Check the dev hangout for April 18, 2013. Sure it's dated but there has been nothing said to the contrary in any official capacity since (and if I'm wrong I - and others - would appreciate the correction.) Sounds like it's better than what you've gotten so far in regards to PvP being optional in any case.

There will be situations where you'll have to decide whether you want to open yourself up for PvP or not to fulfill a goal - but getting into that situation and pursing that goal will be optional.

If they add a full-time PvP mode I think that's great. But at this point you're not going to get anybody in that mode that doesn't want to be there in some capacity.

EDIT: Watch it here, or read Dame Lori's unbiased and awesome summary job. Thanks for hosting this Lori!
    http://forsakenvirtues.com/2013/04/18/recap-developer-chat-41813-pve-focus/

docdoom77, NRaas and Brutal Brutis like this.
  16. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

What I read was roughly a year ago they stated that there will be open PVP for those that want it, and those who do not will have their own world to be un-bothered *yawn* lol

17. Margard

Margard Avatar

PvP is not clear - written in stone - yet: we won't know until R4 (testing)

18. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Yes PVP has been discussed openly by the devs multiple times

19. Margard

Margard Avatar

They always add the legalese of "things aren't final and we reserve the right to change" ... just saying

Until R4 comes about - we won't know where things stand today :)

NRaas likes this.
  20. Brutal Brutis

Brutal Brutis Avatar

Lets just pray this doesnt turn into wow.. we want somthing new.. or old (pre tram uo)

apoc01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.