Why you have an amazing community, and opportunity, right here in SotA

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Canterbury, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eldgrim

Eldgrim Avatar

More like RG and team were realistic with the goal and therefore able to provide support appropriately.

Time Lord, Lord Royou, Akro and 2 others like this.
  2. Knight-Errant

Knight-Errant Avatar

The Mad Hatter just hooked me up with a founder pledge. :). To be honest I'm not interested in the SC promotion item. I'm happy to support this game and you all who make up this community are part of the reason.

3. Womby

Womby Avatar

Welcome Knight-Errant. There would appear to be a small but growing stream of travellers (myself included) who seek some respite from the endless waiting at Star Citizen.
    I love the community involvement that I have encountered here, not just in forums but in aspects of development as well.
    I love the willingness to reveal pre-Alpha builds, the helpful community members, and the astonishing work by volunteers.
    I love the use of Unity, which I use and have followed since its early days.
    While Star Citizen has impressive funding, Shroud of the Avatar has an impressive community.
    Each will be an amazing, fun game in its own way, but the sense of involvement here is unsurpassed.

4. Ember

Ember Avatar

Hear, hear! I have a few friends trying to get me on the Star Citizen bandwagon, and while the game definitely looks like a sure thing, I want to focus all my energies on Shroud!!!

This community is such an absolute pleasure to be a part of! It is the most intimate group of game developers and especially passionate players I've ever known. I've been watching Shroud from Day 1 since the Rooster Teeth interview with RG, and when they announced the "Fan Video Contest" I was blown away by all of the entries as they came in on that forum thread! And honestly, never in my wildest dreams had I imagined that I'd actually be speaking to RG himself nonetheless getting the opportunity to volunteer and work with him! To simply say that I am honored to be recognized as part of the Order of the New Britannian Empire doesn't even begin to describe how elated I am to be a part of this game!!!

Keep on rockin', Community!!!

5. Adiun Tesserande

Adiun Tesserande Avatar

Every single word Ember just said I echo. (Except the part about not having backed SC. I have; indeed, if I hadn't, I wouldn't be here.)

The fact that I get to do what I love with and for a community that honestly appreciates what I do is intensely gratifying, and I can't thank everyone enough for the amazing community that we've created here. That I am now on a first-name basis with the man who was literally my childhood role model?!? There aren't words. Well, there probably are words, but they aren't in English. (Or Spanish. Or French.)

6. Knight-Errant

Knight-Errant Avatar

The level of trust, respect and accessibility I have found here are unlike anything I've encountered in gaming. Very, very cool.

7. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

I never understood this argument regarding this game as its fundamental pricing structure.

This system if "donating" or plainly putting it. Buying content. It creates animosity as well as foster resentment between haves and have nots. On top of that you have pvp decisions that alienates a larger section still

This isnt a positive system. It will only get worse the more ppl play and feel like second class citizen. Theres cebturies of research on how this phenomena is very negative on a game as as studies have shown is a lose/lose for everyone

8. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

but, but, but mmjarec this is a kick starter, the game has not even moved into a beta phase yet. The buying content you speak of needs to be here as the game is not released yet. From what I see so far there is very little of the pay to win stuff everyone talks about. Sure there are some HUGE homes that have been set aside for the backers of the game, BUT one does not need a home to play the game.

As far as the PvP portion I just don't understand why everyone is in such a fuss. The original proposal was no non-consensual PvP. Going from there to the system that has been developed and put forth for community comment appears to be well thought out.

The studies you mention have not been done on a game that has not been released and game system economy is not even determined, nor one that was kick started.

The fundamental pricing structure for the game is pay per episode, nothing more.

Silent Strider, Margard, rild and 3 others like this.
  9. Synapse

Synapse Avatar

I think the great and most important thing of all is that the development team of this title are already quite a few steps ahead of the community, something that has been solely lacking in games for many, many years. Of course that is what you get with great minds and something big studios never appreciate, they think this stuff is easy, but you have to be way ahead of the curb and just like a game of chess, one wrong move costs you the game.

I can honestly say they seem to be driven by a passion to create something for the fans indeed, a place they can call home and with the structure of development it is positioned for longevity as it is being spaced out and divided into episodes so to include deep rich content and the b2p model imo is a perfect decision as it is both convenient to the developers and consumers as both can plan ahead.

New comers will come and go, but loyalists will stay with you as long as you have crafted something that has consistency and worthy and I believe SotA is going to be the first game to do that in many, many years. It may seem steep at first but hey they have to get started and so far I see good things for future plans and actually can see the worth, be it the single player options, episodic content or actual vision of a complete work.

Lets just say I like what I see so far. It seems as though they are developing a game with worth not only with the game itself but with the talent that is designing it as it should be, like in the old days, developers should get credit for their work and you should know them by name and that they create great products worth buying and that is where big corporations dwarf that ideal imho.

We need developers we know, not big game studios.

10. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Um yeah the studies have been ongoing since the invention of currency. Ts a widely known fact that create haves and have nots creates animosity and resentment from those without. The study is called life

There is nothing but disinformation all over your post.
    They didnt listeb to the community and give them what they asked for as you stated. They went in with a preconcieved notion of what they wanted to do with pvp. The. They asked for input, completely ignore the pvp crowd while implimenting everything the pvers asked for to do wth pvp yet anytime a pvper asked for something to do with pve its rejected

So dont even act as if they listebed to pvpers cause everything they wanted was rejected.

You cannot honestly sit and say they listened to pvp players when they got nothing they wanted.

11. Asclepius

Asclepius Avatar

I think I need to comment here.
    You must be aware that there are many people as passionate about NO PVP as you are about PVP. That creates a real dilemma when crafting a game - how to you please both sides? I think peace in the Middle East would be easier;)
    The developers have in fact listened. Extensively. They have spend many hours, if not days or weeks, on this problem. There will NOT be NO PVP. There will (If I have it correct) be consensual PVP in most places, except towns, which are safe. Not only that, but there will be areas rich in resources and/or essential to some quests, which are susceptible to PVP. If you want or need to go there, be aware that you may get mugged.
    That is called COMPROMISE. The most outstanding error in your post is that "they got nothing they wanted". What you seem to be upset about is that "they didn't get EVERYTHING they wanted".
    The only other option was a Trammel/Felucca type split - and even the PVP brigade didn't want that.
    I come to the game as a non PVPer, and I am quite satisfied with the compromise that has been reached. If I am attacked at times, or in some locations, so be it. It's fair treatment to both sides.
    To rant and grizzle because you didn't get every one of your desires is not the mark of a mature adult. Please pause and consider that there are many others playing this game, whose goals and aspirations may be fundamentally different to yours. If they are prepared to compromise maybe you should also.
    The substance of the thread was about the amazing community we have here; I endorse that wholeheartedly, and hope this aside doesn't throw the thread off course. There has been quite enough about PVP already.

12. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Back on topic: I greatly enjoy this community, including the majority of PvP proponents, and love the closeness between the development team and the players/backers! It's sad there will inevitably be a little more separation there once we reach launch date... But hey! We'll get to redo this for R2-R5... ;)

*group hug*

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well. I for one am quite happy to talk about issues around the game and get into good chats about different facets. I regret that I am unable to play much of the releases now due to being on deployment. I did play R1 though and what I did feel from that instantly was that ultima feel, like I stepped into ultima 7 again. I'm hoping they are spending a lot of time behind the scenes developing the world to be interactive enough and deep enough to keep our interest. One of the defining features of the original Ultima's that each city had a very unique feel, you knew you were in skara brae, trinsic or paws....I want that back again and I have high hopes and faith.

Margard, rild, Time Lord and 4 others like this.
  14. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Yeah, it's an interesting thought. To some degree, the more money that gets tossed into a game project, the more a game changes. So there's actually something to be said for leaner budgets in situations like this. Teams end up working harder, faster and being more ingenious. While I'm sure they'd love to increase their team size, there does come a point where games just start to bloat, and there's actually no "huge advantage" to an ever-expanding team.

15. Floors

Floors Avatar

Star Citizen is really bringing some of the folks that wouldn't be against Fantasy from over there to here, so that's a great thing.

I'm also going to be flying a freelancer Max so it's worked both ways :)

rild, Time Lord, Lord Royou and 2 others like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Everything about this project is getting better

I cannot wait to get away from these early days where 50/50 of all of us were skeptical and more towards just discussion/arguing over features, not over game viability.

*edited by FireLotus

rild and Time Lord like this.
  17. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

The exploration variant of the Freelancer will be my main ship so... good choice :)

Time Lord and tradyblix like this.
  18. Favonius Cornelius

Favonius Cornelius Avatar

*You equate people asking questions and making demands and complaints (since they put so much money into the effort) as nothing more than forum trolls and dregs. This is pretty insulting and defeatist really. People have every right to complain if they feel their money is not translating into the game they imagined or were even promised. People should speak up and state their issues when they have them.

I guess I could say too that every forum has folks who blindly praise and flatter the developers like they were in the court of Nero in an effort to gain their attention.

Still to this day of the final game we know only that there will be houses and what the general graphics are like. Nothing else is for certain. On what foundation do folks like yourself put forth such odiferous optimism and praise?

*Moderated by FireLotus

19. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Trust? This may be lost in many contexts in your life, but I still have a bunch of it. Also what I have seen from the developers in forums and in game shows me, that they deserve my trust.
    Hope? We all who pledged hope for a good outcome at the end.
    Love? I absolutely love this community and the Ultima roots of this game.
    Curiosity? What ever will be in the end - why would you need to know it already in the beginning?
    Friendship? Already found new friends and got old friends involved, which make the game an experience I had not since the earlier days of Ultima Online.
    ... to be continued by others, who may have their own reasons.
    *Salute*
    Olahorand

20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Freelancer variants?
    I'll have to go look...

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.