1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Magic, Combat, and Crafting Skills

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mewzard

mewzard Avatar

That makes me curious: Does that mean that I have to buy the game a second time if someone else in the house wants their own character? Never thought that might be an issue.

2. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

That is what it means.
    There might be a work around if you play offline only, but if you want to be online, you'll need an account for each family member that wants their own character.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  3. Milzer78

Milzer78 Avatar

Unsure if it's already been mentioned but surely multiple avatar/account pave the way for abusing this system of debt for "the naked miner" who can't pay a ransom?

4. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

I can't wait! Crafting is always one of my greatest pleasures in a game, trading too! I love that we will have to make almost everything in the world, just like real life of course. I didn't manage to get through all 20 pages of replies here, so apologise if it's already been asked whether it's decided how many crafting skills a char can have yet?

I didn't notice any mention of replenishing harvestables but it might be a good idea for someone to have a skill to replant or we might run out of materials very quickly, hehe

Dhimmi likes this.
  5. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

If they are in debt they shouldn't be able to pay a ransom. Let them lose all the ore they were collecting and be done with it.

6. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

And this is what ruins the game's economy!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  7. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

And people having 2 accounts to be able to make the full product differs how?

Lord Royou likes this.
  8. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

Can't stop people from having 2 accounts but I doubt everyone will and there will be considerably less players with enough chars to have every skill. I loved UO to begin with, but it got too ridiculous, the way everyone in the game had every single skill (crafting and otherwise) it made trying to be a crafter/trader a huge joke!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  9. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

No it doesn't. Not all people have the desire to spend all their time mining for resources and crafting stuff and still have time to adventure. I had a miner and a smith etc in UO, but I never sold one darn item. I used him strictly for creating items for me and a couple of friends. I just didn't want to waste my time gathering ore. for me it took too long and wasted my time. I bought ingots from people instead.

So the people who can really make money crafting are going to be the ones that enjoy it, or they really like grinding endlessly at something that they don't like to make some gold. Also if they are going to make money at it they not only have to enjoy it but also need to have the gathering, refining, and crafting skill to make the items they sell. If they buy the materials they cannot out price the people who mine, refine, and craft their items themselves. Buying materials will lower your return on investment.

So don't worry about people who have crafters. Probably one in ten crafters will actually make a living at it. The rest will be there to support your character, by doing repairs etc.

NRaas and Lord Royou like this.
  10. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I will have a gatherer and a crafter for sure, but I won't be in the business to sell one darn item. I already have more than one account, but I'm still one person. I won't even bother trying to do the job of a crafter. In fact my main character might be 100% gatherer of things, and I'll sell the materials.

Lord Royou likes this.
  11. Royou

Royou Avatar

How do you work that out? it gave me great flexibility to be able to do what I wanted when I wanted, to be able to be self reliant, oh I get it.... because I would not have been buying the items that you wanted to sell and make you rich, I have never in any game I've played crafted one Item that I have put on a vendor to sell to other players, that never interested me, now that being said, now I have a vendor with my Lord status I just might do, I could then find out what you are crafting make the same and then under cut you..... NOT, that does not interest me in any way at all.

I have always strive'd to be self reliant in all the games that I play, I enjoy crafting, I enjoy skill training. That it means that I can make an item instead of buying it from you or other traders, does not mean that it would ruin a games economy, it helps it, as where do you think that I brought all the regs that I needed for a lot of the skill training, yep you got it, player gatherers they made a small fortune from me as did the NPC's so how would that ruin the game's economy?
    So it is ok for you to train a certain skill but not others? all because you want to hold a monopoly over them! That is what ruins a game's economy, the anti Virtue of GREED!

Time Lord likes this.
  12. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

Well, I can't have a conversation with someone who resorts to nastiness and insults....a sure sign that someone has nothing to say!
    But I will just say that a character who can make what he/she needs is totally different from someone controlling half a dozen chars who can get/make what they each need, it's like having a char who can learn every skill in the game. It ruins the hard work the developers put in to balancing the game. It also makes guilds less useful as far as working together to get/give help from/to people of varying professions.
    Yes, I'm glad it will be one character per account, it might help to avoid the fate of a lot of other MMO's when their economies failed. If you have any interest you might find chapters 3 and 5 of this article interesting :-
    The In-game Economics of Ultima Online

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Sierra and Dhimmi like this.
  13. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

Actually I don't think this is 100% true. Here's my reasoning:

1. A person who has the TIME to create half a dozen characters, and can create everything has also paid for half a dozen accounts, and they spend more time online than the average person. {This is not the average player.} It may even take a year or two to be able to get every skill for one player on half a dozen accounts.
    2. This "power-gamer" who actually gets every skill in the game on multiple accounts, also doesn't take away from the economy at all because he is self-sufficient ... which means he negates himself from the economy. (It's as if he weren't even there) He buys and sells between himself, it would be a paradox in real life, but in an MMO it's possible for somebody to do this. Any excess this type of player has spills over either as loot or a purchase to or from another player.
    3. It's not likely this type of person has enough time to actually do much else in the economy unless he focuses on one skill set more than another. (If he does focus on say smithing more than the other skills then out of all his accounts he only counts to the economy as one crafter).
    4. The real Key! Since there is one character per account, that character will require other characters to fulfill his/her needs. Since nobody can master all the skills in the game, one character (one account) cannot be self-sufficient. Therefore you need to reliy on other players, or buy more accounts. Either way this is reason enough for me to think single character per account works best. (providing we are never allowed to master every skill in the online mode).

14. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

His original gripe was that he wanted lots of chars on one account in order to be totally self sufficient, which would mean dozens/hundreds/thousands of players doing the same, which takes away a hell of a lot of interaction with other people in the world. I said this is what happened over at UO, EVERYBODY could craft/gather anything, everybody had houses full of vendors, nobody wanted to buy rares any more because they all had half a dozen chars camping the spawn spots etc. All their newbies had way overpowered equipment. One char per account would cut down on a lot of this.

EDIT:-I agree with all you say, especially point 4 which is exactly what I have said :p

Isaiah likes this.
  15. Royou

Royou Avatar

By "his original gripe" you are referring to me, when I did not bother responding to your trolling why are you trying to antagonize a response, you insult me when you say "a sure sign that someone has nothing to say!" I have plenty to say, just not to you at the moment, as I'm not really interested in what you are saying to be honest, as you don't seem to have played the same sever as me on UO, as I did not see as many vendors as you claim there was, when you said everybody had houses full of vendors, I never had one vendor nor did many of my friends, you claim that I resorted to nastiness and insults, yet you throw the first insult when you claimed that I and players like me are what ruin the game's economy, now you claim that I am a camper, I have never camped a spot for regs or anything else ever, I have better things to do, my main passion is skill training, and crafting items for my house and characters to use, but you don't know me and you definitely don't know my game style, so please refrain from your insulting comments. I will just use more than one account to achieve the goal I am after, that way I can have dedicated crafters, may even try to convince my partner to play after all!

I was foolish to feed the troll in the first place, for that's what I see you comments were, I shall not do so in future.

Time Lord likes this.
  16. GracieMae

GracieMae Avatar

Firstly, I was addressing Isaiah, secondly I did not accuse you of camping, I merely said a lot did and did not realise you were going to be paranoid about it.
    I'm not going to let you draw me into a slanging match with your belligerent ways, we have already hijacked this thread

17. Royou

Royou Avatar

That's the best thing you have said yet :) I will ignore the insulting comments and thy holier than thou tone, so let's end it there!

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

lol

Lord Royou likes this.
  19. Royou

Royou Avatar

In all this one thing struck me, I used to be my guilds main crafter, anything they needed they came to me and I would craft it, more often than not they brought the mats, but if they did not I had enough to provide what they needed. So what happens to the RPer's that want to play the guild roll of guild crafter? I had 3 main crafters in UO which after soul stones were introduced whittled down to 2 and could put on or off skill's when required, I got great enjoyment out of this, as I'm sure many others did also, I guess you could say with the one character per account it makes the game more dedicated in the form of needing assistance from other players, which in itself will be more community focused. I can see the pros and the cons, but above all it is going to be fun no matter which way you look at it, and that's what it's all about! I can't wait and am so impatient to start training and crafting. "runs off to find the Time Lord to beg and plead to borrow his Tardis for a short little trip" :D

Time Lord and GracieMae like this.
  20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

those short trips can be months long. So you better write down what you were doing today so that when you get back you aren't too disoriented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.