Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Yet you will find an Orc or maybe a Dragon???

You are more likely to find a cannibal shop in history than you will ever find someone selling Dragon Scales.

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm pretty sure you'd find people selling things they called "dragon scales." :>

3. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I'm sure you would.....in the same way you will find people selling "beef" burgers that turn out to contain DNA of horse.

Point is that you can't claim that something shouldn't be in the game because is isn't 'sensible' when in fact in reality compared to most things in the game it is one of the most normal and sensible things that is being thought about.

4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Actually.. you can when the game aims for a certain about of sense. If you're trying to make a with a believable society and you make no allowances or backstory to say.. support public acceptance of cannibalism. Then to say you can't have a cannibal shop on the corner of town square because it isn't 'sensible' is perfectly legitimate.

This isn't Fallout.. it isn't UO.. it isn't Skyrim. This is New Britannia and it's set in the Ultima universe.

5. Margard

Margard Avatar

Realism through the lense of the in-game world

What do we know - what "fits"

We know of human transmutations with live subjects

With that - would I be surprised if I ran into a group / secluded person playing "god" ... not at all ... its established makes sense within the world as it is being created

Would it make sense if the "creations" ate the remains of failed experiments ... not at all

--

This does not by any means preclude cannibalism - and if you're paying attention to what I'm writing - I'm not necessarily saying that it should be out in game BUT

I am saying that giving the power to players to emulate such a thing would encroach on the "believability" of the world

What we know is that Novia is civilized - or at a minimum - orderly ... this still does not preclude cannibalism but its highly unlikely to see it as a daily occurrence as if it were your local wine shop

We also know that there are certain standards of "morality" paired with equal "savagery" in the world ... but so far the nature of the "savage" is being constructed as power mad / greed / lack of empathy / perversion

and this still does not preclude cannibalism but its still highly unlikely that you would find a "special meat shop" in an established settlement

6. fumblefingers

fumblefingers Avatar

Its a game , What ever. Do what you will. Over the years , I've said , I'd ___ that . oh well not the same lol

7. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Seriously? The previous post isn't even 3 hours old.

9. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Maybe it's a succinct argument in favour of cannibalism... it stands for 'Butter Up My People!'...

;)

10. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

11. redfish

redfish Avatar

~ Hands the high baron a knife and a fork ~

12. selbie

selbie Avatar

13. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

!!!---VOTE---!!!
    [​IMG]
    MAN BACON!!!
    :)

14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Karrolanth Said; Maybe it's a succinct argument in favour of cannibalism... it stands for 'Butter Up My People!'...
    [​IMG]
    Lord British wouldn't have made the comment if he already didn't have something in mind already for this.
    But then again, this is also coming from a man that talked about giving bakers the ability to make a real gingerbread house. Maybe this is Lord British's evil alien twin we got back from outer space and not really him. Ether way, I think he's got some strange eating issues going on inside him, what do you think? ... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Richard has some fascination with the macabre apparently. I understand he has a few items on display in at least one of his homes and he does his haunted house which is apparently a big deal. So I'm pretty sure it's the real RG that came back from space.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

17. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Age Issues Anyone?"
    [​IMG]
    I could think of nothing more appropriate to teach children then to show them how Cannibalism doesn't pay and maybe not as easy a thing to play in SotA as it is in some of the more Zombie and Vampire styled games or movie fictions..."Which are very strangely popular for some reason"... o_O
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

18. Retro

Retro Avatar

Who the hell is asking for "Human Meat" butchershops in town?! (at least not out in the open as a legitimate business) Bowen, is this actually how you think we want cannibalism in the game? seriously?

If cannibalism is allowed in the game it should be regarded as the ultimate depraved evil act. Cannibalism should be shunned, hidden, isolated, highly illegal, black market activity, even the animation should have the character turned away from the camera (in shame) when they consume humanoid flesh, while checking guiltily over their shoulder to make sure no one is watching. Guards should even attack on site if they witness this behaviour. (selling, consuming or butchering)

'Humanoid butchery' should be a skill that can be performed on corpses so that only people with the skill can even view or will ever be able to harvest body parts.

Didn't I say I was done with this thread...dammit.

One last note (hopefully)

Bowen for some reason I really don't believe you are that offended by this topic, my guess is that you are so passionate about this topic because you would never play an evil character, therefore you don't want the dev's spending effort developing features that you will not make use of. (which is a valid reason for not wanting it and is at least believable...)

But let's be honest is this topic really that offensive? In the sense of a game, really?!

The only topics that I would personally find offensive in a game:
    Racism\Culturalism
    Sexism\Misogyny
    Graphic Sex\Nudity (not offensive, but defiantly not needed in a game, and I can see why others would be offended)
    Sexual fetishes both legal and illegal (i.e. necrophilia, bestiality)
    General rude\disrespectful behaviour (i.e. anything that would get you banned from the forums)
    Although I am not religious at all, blatantly disrespecting other people religious beliefs (within reason..., making fun of Jesus, Buddha, Mohammad whoever...not cool, allowing "pork" or "shellfish" products in the game yes, of course...grow up)

Other than that, anything goes as far as I'm concerned: devil worship sure, gay marriage bring it on, emotes that allow the same sex to "make out", slaughtering children, killing an entire village... doesn't bother me all...it's a game lighten up.

Offensiveness is subjective, but seriously cannibalism, wow....ok

19. Retro

Retro Avatar

To be honest, this is personally the most offensive thing I have seen on the forums period, but it's not the cannibalism it's the racism... :(

20. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.