1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Navigation through New Britannia

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Oh come on Tamino why the major drama on this? I'm sure there will be many changes and implimentations before we are done, and as I recall we have two new artists that have been added. It may seem that they are headed in the wrong direction but what if it is the right direction? I am sorry if I mistake what you are saying, but nothing is going to fizzle out, no reason at this point to put that out in peoples mind. Have some patience or wait and see. I do care very much also and I do my share of voicing what I want to see, but when it all comes down to it there will still be a game. We all have (well those that choose to have) quite a ride a head of us, and it's possible each will go through many thought processes during the progression of the game. No game is going to have every single thing we want, but because we are here we will have the chance to have so much more what we want than any other game where we are left out of the process would have. Maybe encourage not discourage tactics. If you can show something that helps do it then. I'm sure they will be hiring more people as we go along and what then? Not a tragedy, Let them hire more people anytime they want, we are only here by their good graces anyway so behave yourself;)

2. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

The Overland travel map and the instance scene levels = Overland Hex Map ( not a world, you can interact in a world) and Hex Instance opener ( Scene box were you need to find a door to get out)
    If there is anything consumers like it's the truth leave the Buzz words and sound bites to the Political/Banker Breed.

Time Lord and Cabrens like this.
  3. tamino

tamino Avatar

See my post #368 where I talk about how it's usually clear even in the early stages the direction a game is going and whether it will be good or not.

I've participated in countless betas, alphas, and pre-alphas. I'm also a developer, so I am aware of what goes into making games.

I think people are used to seeing plenty of early-stage games by now. Heck, we even buy them like crazy as early access games.

Yes, some people don't have realistic expectations, but that doesn't mean it's an argument that can be used to discount all criticism directed at a game just because it's in a pre-alpha state.

Time Lord and Cabrens like this.
  4. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

They are also here by the backers good graces. They wanted to create a game, we financially backed it. Tamino is merely pointing out what myself, and probably a lot of silent lurkers are feeling. The adamant supporters of the game are the ones posting on a daily basis. Nowhere am I saying that we are speaking for the silent majority, but to automatically assume that we are a minority is a big mistake.

5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Time Lord, Tarsin and rild like this.
  6. tamino

tamino Avatar

That's exactly what I am doing. Here's why criticism can help more than compliments.

I did. I was quiet for over a year while I let things play out. Now I'm here because I'm not at all impressed or happy with how things have gone and I want them to know it.

I am behaving myself, which is why no moderator has taken action against me.

Also, remember, the developers are only able to make this game because of our support, and I pledged a pretty hefty sum of money just as many of you have so I have every right to be here expressing my opinion about the game just as I believe everyone else who pledged their support does. Heck, in my book, even if you haven't pledged support, you're still welcome to chime in with your two cents.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

True, true and It doesn't matter if you are a minority or majority, we are all here just wishing the game success. I am talking about fizzle out comments that do not add anything to a posters credibility. o_O

8. tamino

tamino Avatar

Pretty presumptuous of me, isn't it?

Yes, I've said many a time I'm speaking on behalf of a silent majority when I say this game is currently failing to meet our standards. I believe the proof behind this statement is in the pledge data, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence if you look around.

It's a harsh criticism but I believe it's accurate and can serve to motivate the developers to do better.

I'm passionate because I care about the idea of the spiritual successor to Ultima not being an embarrassment to the name of both Ultima and Richard Garriot so that this legacy continues to live on as I believe it has been a source of great innovation in the past.

It has inspired me, as I am sure it has inspired many of you.

I care because I want it to be the best it can be. No matter if you agree with the points I've made or not, if you fault me for expressing opinions and criticisms rather than keeping silent unless I have something positive to say, you're doing a disservice to the whole process. Richard Garriot has said numerous times to make sure to do our best to voice our concerns so that they are aware of them.

strabo and Time Lord like this.
  9. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Heheh, well, I have a feeling we are a majority as well, but that is not good forum etiquette Tamino! "Shakes fist!"

Time Lord likes this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Meaningful criticism is helpful. You simply make disparaging remarks about their abilities and the work they do and the vision RG has. That doesn't help anything.

Be specific about what you don't like about the game or what planned features are in the game.

Give specific examples of bad artwork or animation or gameplay- nothing I've seen in the current release looks bad. You claim their originals look better, did they look better in game? No. Chris said this before they use baked lighting which doesn't work in games.
    Focus on the future, don't tell them how they screwed up in the past. They know how they did that already by the mountains of posts.

You've said nothing more than vague generics like the vision and direction are wrong for the art and game. That helps nobody.

If there a specific game features you want to talk about there are tons of threads to continue those discussions. The combat, the crafting, the questing, the conversation, specific models, lighting, we've all discussed these many times. If you want to add your thoughts on them feel free. But just stop attacking their general ability to make a game like you are the master of all game creation that we should all be bowing before.

strabo, foobard, Time Lord and 6 others like this.
  11. Wagram

Wagram Avatar

Wishing will not help make a great game, if you feel something is wrong you have to be honest they need pushing. Sheep only make a tasty meal for the Wolves.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. tamino

tamino Avatar

I've not disparaged the developers even once. I've criticized their work. There's a big difference.

You, however, make disparaging remarks about people when you don't agree with them.

I've been plenty specific on numerous occasions. I can't help it if you're ignoring the substance of my posts and going into attack mode.

Pedro Luis, Time Lord and Joviex like this.
  13. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

The closest to specific feedback was when you compared a unity store item presented in their 1 light source environment to what was in game. This doesn't qualify all of your statements of lack of direction.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?members/tamino.15504/

I checked your posts to see if I missed anything, nope. A bunch of vague posts about the direction of the game, and not liking that it isn't a seamless 1 scale world and the rest of the time criticizing the teams choices. Not giving meaningful feedback about what they can do to improve the game with the knowledge that the dual scale map is here to stay, it will never disappear.

You probably feel you are under attack because you know your position is weak, while I'm merely presenting you with facts and reality.

"the direction" of the game means nothing other than you don't like the way something(s) is, what that "something(s)" is nobody knows.

strabo, foobard, Time Lord and 3 others like this.
  14. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

And just when I thought things were back on track... Here we go again.

So...

1- Do you like the idea of the Overland 'hex' Map?
    2- If Yes, what do you like about it, can it be enhanced? If No, what do you not like and how could it be corrected?
    3- Is there another way to travel throughout the land that could be incorporated? If so, then How could this be implemented into the current system without adding a significant amount of additional work?
    4- Did I miss any questions?

And let's leave out the finger pointing on both sides please, it's not constructive in the least.

Time Lord, Tarsin, Noctiflora and 3 others like this.
  15. tamino

tamino Avatar

So your opinions are now facts and reality? What an obvious hypocrite you are. This is not the first time you've told me I'm flat out wrong for expressing an opinion.

Your characterization of my posts is highly inaccurate but of course you would say that because you seem to have a personal vendetta against all who express criticism toward this game or disagree with your opinion.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL and you think I don't push for particular things myself. If so then you haven't read my character posts. I'm with you on that point. They won't know if we don't tell them. To say the game will fail or fizzle and oh I'm quitting is tantrums. ;)

17. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Greetings Avatars. I am just popping in here to provided a friendly reminder to keep the discussion on topic and personal arguments out. Take it to PMs if you must or use the ignore feature. Everyone is welcome to leave constructive feedback for the development team, but personal attacks and bickering do not aid the development of the game nor foster positive growth in the community.

And thank you @Ravenclaw for trying to get the topic back on track. :)

Time Lord, Tarsin, Margard and 3 others like this.
  18. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

But....if we have to be nice to each other nobody will write anything...

Time Lord, rild and Mishri like this.
  19. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

Could always answer the questions I posted above. :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Margard

Margard Avatar

1. Yup - I do like the hex system and I don't see it as a hindrance in any form. Of course there are limitations / but thats the case with everything ...

2. If you are talking about the 2d map - lots - and I think for the benefit of the games - but thats a moot point now ... as for its 3d map (not sure have to see more of it) ... has for our hex instance -

I really thought that the arches were going to suck - but they are well made and I was happily surprised - it is strill a little odd to see arches mark the exits / because it just does not make a lkot of sense but I do like them / art / color and form ... good work.

As for hex instance design / although its too early they need to be "compact and complex" ... compact simply because it may be easier to produce more for variety sake and complex to give us a sense of a rich world / one that we have to explore know and overcome at times ..

I still want a beach instance with a bolder to go fish on :)

Frankly / the hex system is the least of my concerns now ...

3. I want the mini avatar / until I see this I can't comment on anything else

4. What did you think of the 2d map? ;) ( I personally liked it - and see it as a missed opportunity)

SmokerKGB, Time Lord and Ravenclaw like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.