E3 2014 News Articles

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by smack, Jun 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tarsilion

Tarsilion Avatar

If all you have is a baseball bat, lots of things will start looking like a ball. Or a roadside mailbox, depending on your upbringing.

2. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

I asume they are of course understanding the community not to release a unfinished game but on the other side the possibiliy of alot of new money coming in through a for example Steam Beta or even still Alpha release is very enticing.
    This extra Money could help push the Quality, get new Team Members , new Goals.

So it is like saying: We understand you, but we really want to get the Hands on fresh Money, not bleeding the existing backers more. And that means we go beta this year.

As a huge fan i am just very scared it may shoot the wrong direction.

This is all my personal Impression or guessing.

Do not Quote assumption i make about the Developers for real. My personal assumption.

3. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

Thanks @smack for keeping this going! Any chance you could edit your first post to include all the links you have posted throughout the thread?

4. smack

smack Avatar

Done!

Sir Cabirus and Duke Violation like this.
  5. smack

smack Avatar

6. jiirc

jiirc Avatar

So I was watching the PC Games (German) interview and noticed at around 6:45 into the video that the buildings, the environment, the avatar, and what looks like a wolf, was really, really small in size. it was much smaller than we've seen in other releases. So is it an anomaly that the camera was zoomed that far out. Or could it be a glimpse of the new overworld map?

7. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I still dont get how Sota is a selective MP from what weve seen i have not seen one feature that indicates this besides the friend and block list which is clearly not an innovation.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Joviex likes this.
  8. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

That is the old footage from the Rooster Teeth Demo IIRC.

Right there at the start.

That is what the original overland map looked like, and why a lot of people were put off from the paper map "upgrade" we got in R5-ish

9. smack

smack Avatar

They might have just the basic framework in place on the server side, but it doesn't look like it's an area of focus for the next couple releases. But it's possible they're doing all that tracking on the server side but simply haven't talked publicly about it lately, and certainly have not published that logic or asked us to do any testing of it. We already know they're not exposing any client side UI to control that logic...yet, anyways.

But to test it, you can do it with a set of friends and strangers whom you've never interacted with in-game. You'd have to coordinate who enters what scene and when. However, they'd need to lower the player cap to like 5 players for such a small controlled test. If the scene cap is 64 currently, you'd need a rather large test group and that will require quite a bit of coordination to test who's getting sorted into which instance of that scene.

mike11 likes this.
  10. kronides

kronides Avatar

Not gonna happen--at least, we'd better hope not. 2014 is half done and we don't know anything about combat even.

11. smack

smack Avatar

12. smack

smack Avatar

rild likes this.
  13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

It was the original map. I gotta say, the wolfs were quite large, not small. They are almost as long as the buildings they are running past..

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

I just wanted to say THANKS for these article lists. I've had a major physical life change (left Vegas, moved back to our home in Indiana - Hi Lori! Let's do lunch!). I was offline for two weeks and have had zero game or game related activity time for two months. These article lists (and the weekly updates) have help me catch up. I tried to play R6 and my computer gave up at the login screen. Gonna try my laptop this week for R7. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll do what Kirthag suggested and do a Kickstarter campaign for a new computer!

Regardless wanted to thank you guys for these lists and looking forward to being more active soon. Maybe. Hopefully...

Khloec, rild and smack like this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Just finished watching the latest interview and Richard touched upon a few things that I think are interesting:

Not direct quotes, my interpretation (what I thought I heard after watching it once so far):
    - Both UO and Tabula Rasa were made by about 300 people each (at its peak)
    - He said SotA in scope is larger than UO
    - But he likes the current team size of about 30 people and doesn't see any further benefit to adding more. This is actually something I've heard or read from Starr as well. It seems the overhead of a much larger team might even be detrimental to the dev model they're using to create SotA.
    - Feels he can do this because of not having to write a new engine (i.e. Unity), purchases assets from Unity Store, and crowdsourcing a lot of the in-game assets

Thoughts?

Numa and rild like this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Just a note that UO team size was about 20ish for most of development until last 6 months when it temporarily ballooned to closer to 50-60.

TR was only 200 if you counted all the external contractors. Actual internal team size was never more than 100 and for most of project was more like 50ish.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Awesome, thanks for the clarification Starr. Do you expect a similar temporary expansion closer towards release or will you try to maintain a steady state and just move dates as necessary?

rild likes this.
  18. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

It all depends on funding but goal would be to try to limit team size near our current size (not counting support roles like QA, CS, etc.)

19. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

smack likes this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

rild and Rodriguez like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.