Now Seeking members of the Council of Scribes

Discussion in 'The Library' started by FireLotus, Aug 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadow of Light Dragon

Shadow of Light Dragon Avatar

From what I've heard elsewhere, the word limit is less to do with mechanical restrictions and more to do with internal design decisions -- at least for pre-launch books. A relatively low word count helps both with the review process (it takes a lot of time to read/edit) and keeps the length of official in-game books manageable for players.

I don't know if the restriction will be present for player-published books once the game launches, but a limit for pre-launch publications is smart.

2. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

...but only one Council of Scribes.

I also wonder how/where do we submit out works for review?

3. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

Well, I don't think the Council of Scribes should be editing for style.
    I think submissions are intended to go into this sub-forum, and any found to not adhere to canon will be moved to Fire Lotus Tavern.
    There's a header at the top of this forum that gives some guidance, and I'm sure more will follow.

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Could we know all The Council of Scribes Member's names?
    [​IMG]
    Where can we find a list of them?
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

You could do a crossover: "The Dark Knight meets the Scribbler" :p

6. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

We have about 15 applicants since the Call for members of the Council of Scribes went out Friday. Some have been accepted, others were asked for more information, some are in review, and others we just received. Since it is the weekend, we don't have the decision process completed yet for the Council members. I think a list can go out sometime in this coming week.

In addition, we already have the first submissions of new writings in the other thread on this forum. We will work on our review process for those as we also build our list of council members.

These are exciting times to have the opportunity as players to write fiction and stories directly into a game. It is not trivial to do so with the quality and consistency expected. We have a lot of great people forming the Council and many, many more great people to write, research, read, and show interest *looks around him and sees many faces on this forum and beyond*.

Thanks!

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Encyclopaedia New Britannica, S, Volume I of VII - Saa through Sea Cucumber

8. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Captain Jack sends his greetings to all, he also wishes to inquire as to how impartiality can be guaranteed? Especially since Captain Jack isn't the most... popular person around!

Could an automated way to remove the submitters name, replace with a number, have the material read, and if approved the system will mark approval permanently and then replace the number on the submission with the person's original name?

Kuno Brauer, Joviex and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

You'll have to ask Richard who has final approval. I wouldn't expect there to be an automated system but since the council will be working directly with FireLotus.. if you have any concerns during the submission and approval process that your work may be being treated unfairly you can always bring it up.

10. Johnny Black

Johnny Black Avatar

You could use a pseudonym, so your writing career wouldn't hurt your pirate street cred (ocean cred?).

11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I would also like to add a +1 for anonymous submissions.

Honestly, in my opinion, ALL submissions should be anonymous, be it models, writing, and/or music. Especially considering the fact that the community is being leveraged to help review submissions.

12. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

If only I could spend every mod point I had to bring this to the top.

There should exist zero systems that allow users to judge other users by seeing anything other than the content submitted.

Remove any bias and buddy system BS right off the bat. Then no one can complain about favoritism.

Granted, if you are a good judge of material, you will learn the "style" of user submissions, but you won't know who that is per se until in the rears.

13. Trenyc

Trenyc Avatar

For some users, yeah you will. Diction and syntax are just as good an indicator of identity as handwriting, unless someone who is good at manipulating both makes an overt effort to conceal his or her identity.

14. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Thanks to all for a good number of requests to be members of the Council of Scribes.

We are full now for our initial roll-out this month. We will likely be asking for more members in September.

I can't publish the list of Council members yet ... I still hope to do that this week though. Thanks!

15. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

16. Knight Grant MacGregor

Knight Grant MacGregor Avatar

hehe, nice: unre"mark"able :)

Trenyc and Vyrinor like this.
  17. Jack Knyfe

Jack Knyfe Avatar

"Will you follow me into fire? Will you follow me into darkness? Will you follow me into death?"

"I will"

"Then follow."

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  18. rild

rild Avatar

I feel like writers who take part this early on will have a greater opportunity to influence the basic atmosphere of the game (within the themes and guidelines) more than those scribes who follow. Likely any lore gleaned from this work will be about the setting more than the deep story, but the tomes created by our scribes will inform our lives and help to flush out the details of New Britannia.

This project will take a strong creative bent, and also the ability to take criticism, be edited, and be unattached to the work. Certainly an exercise in surrender and flow.

I think such exercises would be of extreme benefit and value to writers of any level.

Winfield and Balec Fares de Cani like this.
  19. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Honestly I'd like to believe that, but with what I've seen so far, I don't expect it to influence the environment at all. I think people who get into the lore will pick and choose what they want to consider. All I'm expecting is what is said... content of books in game. It be an interesting study to know how many would actually read them or read them in other games...

Joviex likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I hope player run library's in the future would take over the role of this. I understand the need for lore to be developed, but I really think this should wait for at least beta where we could get more opportunity to explore. Right now we are supposed to be testing the systems, and doing debugging. Also the risk is involved in sort of knowing what the story is by what gets published and what does not. Some might even get privileged information on the subject. I say hold off till beta at least. But that is just my honest opinion.

Joviex and Trenyc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.