Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbrance

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Have not been able to get in and try it yet.

But I like the idea of encumbrance. Though if it is to easy to become encumbered then that could be an issue.

Personally I think that default encumbrance could allow for a bit to be carried. Eventually everyone will get to the point where they have to deal with encumbrance no matter how much they have to carry before being encumbered.

The question is how much should someone be able to carry before they get to the wall? I think it would mostly just be a balance thing.

Tahru and Budner like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

There should be an in-game credit card so we can borrow to pay real money for leet loots without interrupting our game play. :eek:

Tahru likes this.
  3. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I don't remember having too many problems with encumbrance in UO...I remember when mining or logging you could use a drop and move system to get giant stacked of ore moved to the smelter...Now those were the days! (it was quite scary because someone could grab your stack of ore on the ground if you were not fast enough)

Tahru and Sir Cabirus like this.
  4. Curt

Curt Avatar

So taking a loan in a town in a currency that only worked in that town and disabled the local bank until repaid?

5. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

I haven't read the whole thread, maybe my remark was a little bit too hasty :) I think encumbrance is good for the game - but needs to be balanced a little bit.

Lyran, smack, Montaigne and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Ya, it's controversial...encumberance is a part of gaming...just a question as to how it's going to effect our gameplay. Some of the freebie games used to give you like 10 bag slots and you'd have to pay to get more...Currently I feel like I have 10 bag slots hehe

Tahru and Sir Cabirus like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Or like the Kyoto treaty. We could trade encumberance credits. :)

Budner likes this.
  8. Develyne1

Develyne1 Avatar

well said mate.

Tahru likes this.
  9. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

After taking a first peek, I think I am more concerned about what looks like only 250 item bank space shared across all the banks.

I can live with encumbrance on my character and regional banks. But having such limited overal bank storage does worry me.

Unless I am misunderstanding how it is working.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is supposed to be a limit per bank. Perhaps the "rewards" are messing things up. Might be a bug to report.

Sebastion likes this.
  11. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

I'm ok with with the concept of encumbrance, but it definitely needs to be tweaked so you can carry a decent haul of loot. I like the idea of a delivery service so you can ship purchases or loot to your house. Or initiate bank to bank transfers if you claim a new house on the other side of Novia.
    I also agree that it is impractical to expect a starting character to be able to wear plate armor. Why not start with leather and upgrade over time?
    Mages should be able to carry enough reagents. But at starting levels, I never use reagents anyway. I use the reagentless spells and pump up the stats on them so they can do some damage.
    Id even be ok with eating if it is automatic and you can specify eating order so you don't eat that special thing you were saving. I hated eating in U7 when you had a whole party and they constantly whined about being hungry, especially that pig Iolo. Each character had to be fed separately. Not fun.

Tahru likes this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Should be able to store lots of stuff in chests in your home(s).

I don't figure to have 250 items banked, even though I'll eventually probably own a lot more than that. Most will go into storage at the house.

Since banking is non-global, and since we can zone to our houses, to me it makes sense to have my home be the principal "bank".

13. Sebastion

Sebastion Avatar

Yes for sure the house will be used heavily for storage. But we should be able to 'work' at all towns. 250 items is not going to go very far for this. 25 items average in 10 banks across the whole world? Seems pretty thin. It is thin just here in the Vale.

The whole idea of having regional banks would be so we could bank regionally.

And what is about zoning to houses? That seems like something that would completely nullify regional resources.

I hope that the 250 per bank is just a bug as suggested above.

Lord Baldrith and Budner like this.
  14. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I have tried now with 3 different characters and I see no real problem with how encrubarance wirking right now, perhaps a few weights should be altered but that just easy tweaking.

Lyran and Tahru like this.
  15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Darian, wow nice to meet someone who actually played Istaria. I played for a few months before FFXIV came out. That is a special game that didn't get the attention it needed I think. Just like Vanguard Saga of heros. I did like the cargo disk idea, it really helped.

16. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

Wow, there are a lot of tears and hollow quit threats in here. Is there nothing in between play where everything is a feather or quit?

You all must realise that this is a first attempt at getting encumbrance into the game and that it will be tweaked right? Please just admit that and commit that into your memory and then just settle!

17. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

18. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Yes! I loved Istaria, and loved the cargo disks. Skill to use them and different sizes based on skill. Super nice variation on a pack mule for crafters/gatherers. :) I'd love to see something like that in SotA.

@Darian. Thanks for mentioning Istaria. Haven't thought about that game in a long time but it's right up there on my list of all time favorites. May just have to go check it out again.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Sadly, due to the way banks are set up, "regionalization" may mean people just stay in one region and find it very difficult to branch out geographically. I think it is a huge tactical mistake which inhibits exploration, travel, and establishing a base in more than one place.

Noctiflora and Tahru like this.
  20. EmberFlame

EmberFlame Avatar

*DISCLAIMER* - Post based in comedy, not in fact. For the most part. ;)

Phew. A lot of stuff about this encumberance thing.

I don't really know yet if I'm for or against this feature as it stands, but I'm willing to give it a fair shake.

Here was my general impressions:

At the end of R13, I had 392 Deer Carcasses in my inventory. So, in my "backpack", I had enough matierals to:
    - Build an entire throne out of 784 Animal Bones (Take that, Ruins of Ravensmoor!)
    - Grease the entirety of PAXLair using 392 Deer Fat (Imagine all the Chaos Worshippers faceplanting every time they kneeled!)
    - Supply the NB Theatre Groupe with 1176 pieces of venison; enough to feed the entire audience of their next performance.... and send them home with leftovers.

After a few hours of R14, I had picked up 7 Deer Carcasses on a whim. After chopping them up, I now was able to:
    - Use 14 Animal Bones to measure the approximate distance I ran before I looked like Santa Claus on a treadclimber.
    - Use the 7 chunks of Fat to butt-slide down a hill... And STILL lose Focus over it.
    - Eat the 21 pieces of Vension in a desperate attempt to make room in my inventory... only to realize that my newly acquired pot-belly counted towards my weight limit.

So, overall, I think that both examples are rather extreme and, frankly, silly. IMO, if we could hit somewhere in the middle of these two scenarios, I'd be much happier... and less likely to spend time coming up with bad humor as talking points. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.