Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Encumbrance

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

I like the encumbrance. I don't like the clunky inventory interface. If moving things around, or finding something to drop it was easier to accomplish it wouldn't be such an issue.
    Plus, i hope there will be abilities to drop something on the ground, where it sits for a few minutes before disappearing, rather than having to destroy things.
    Also, destroying an item in a stack shouldn't auto destroy the whole stack without warning you that you're destroying the whole stack, it should give the option to destroy one item in the stack instead. :)

2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I think if encumbrance was more harsh, most of the people here would leave. The game would be virtually unplayable.

3. Develyne1

Develyne1 Avatar

virtual bank that you pay to post things to it,OR im just going to get my hubby to carry the bags ;)

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  4. Develyne1

Develyne1 Avatar

it does to a degree take the fun out of it,especially if your a horder(points to self with wagging finger)i love to collect stuff.:rolleyes:

5. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Mages are already picking nightshade and being crushed to death.

6. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

You have been spoiled up to now, learn how to manage your weight, take what you need. The use of an Encumbrance isn't the problem the problem is you haven't had it up to now.

This make the game much more a game than just go grind stuff out.

Keep up the good work, encumbrance works AWSOME.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

This is no casual game in which you can carry a mountain or city in your pockets.
    What is the next casual feature you want? Exclamation marks above the heads of NPCs or breadcrumb-trails to find them?
    Richard Garriott stated that he wanted a game without handholding and with hardcore elements. I'd say encumbrance is such a feature.

Tahru, Vermine and Sir Cabirus like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Doesn't bother me, i am melee again, all i am saying is mages are about to spam the forum saying they can no longer carry their reagents lol

Gaelis, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Right. Since you're exaggerating anything that's been said by anyone here, let's go with it. We should have feature that makes our fingers bleed when we play, more hardcore that way. Realistic too, like being in battle. Make it as painful as possible so we really LIVE the game. Screw playability and fun. Make it PAINFUL.

All that's been suggested is that encumbrance be adjusted so we can move around in a sensible manner instead of spending our gaming lives focused on weight rather than actual, you know, playtime.

4EverLost, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Realistically you wouldn't need to drop every health potion on you just to pick up a greatsword. A health potion is just a tiny vial, something you could throw pretty easily. If you have a huge sack full of health potions that's a problem, yea. The solution then would just be to carry a reasonable amount of potions around in the first place, so you have room to carry other things.

Do you agree with me here that a bulb of garlic should have a different encumbrance penalty than a sword? Right now they're the same.

Playing the game, this won't just be a bulb of garlic, but a magic ring, a gem, etc... Picking up one of those things shouldn't drain your focus -10 per second. Its not a realistic penalty, or one that makes sense gameplay-wise with inventory management.

They need to iron out these kinds of things before even discussing whether the limits are too harsh or too easy.

Themo Lock, Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

I said in some other post that there of course needs to be a balance between fun and realism. But some people here don't want encumbrance at all. And I think that this would go against the design philosophy of this game. Encumbrance will be adjusted and it should be adjusted for the game to still be fun but also provide more tactics (can I take this item with me?) and more challenges.

Absolutely, I agree.

Andre5000 and Tahru like this.
  12. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Wasn't encumbrance in UO since the first days? Hmm, it seems here are less UO players than I have thought ;)

Tahru likes this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I haven't seen anybody say that. Perhaps I missed a post.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Yes. UO had a good balance. You could spent quite a bit of time in the field before becoming encumbered, but it had its limits.

UO's encumbrance limits probably made farming a little too easy. SotA needs an encumbrance level higher than the current setting and lower than the UO setting, IMO.

Tahru and Lord Baldrith like this.
  15. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

pointing out the need for adjustment isn't the same as not wanting the feature, it even says in the notes it hasn't been balanced yet.

4EverLost and Tahru like this.
  16. Andre5000

Andre5000 Avatar

This encumbrance is amazing....... Know what else would be so awesome? Having to eat, drink and sleep, just like in Fallout 3 New Vegas Hardcore game mode! Now that would me EXTREMELLY amazing. :D

(Edit: NOT being sarcastic. I'm 100% serious here!)

4EverLost, Pedro Luis, smack and 3 others like this.
  17. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Stay tuned ^.^

Tahru and Andre5000 like this.
  18. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Sleeping would be a problem, at least in online mode. But maybe we could get it for the offline game! :)

Tahru, redfish and Andre5000 like this.
  19. Andre5000

Andre5000 Avatar

I'm dead serious, it would be so amazing, I don't even know what I would think. This is the next level after Ultima Online!!!

Also making the day-night cycle slower/longer lasting. I'll make posts on these feature requests.

Tahru likes this.
  20. Andre5000

Andre5000 Avatar

This heavy encumbrance will have a tremendous effect on inflation and in game economy. I say leave it low and make it harder to attain money. It will make crafted items more valuable.

For all that's holy, I would remove gold coins from anything but Elves and other intelligent NPCs. Skeletons could have a couple or up to 5 coins very rarelly, but having 12 gold pieces each makes no sense. When they died initially and became corpses, their bodies were likely looted and stripped. Otherwise put some leather armor on them, or jewels that could be smelted, but not coins...

Tahru likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.