Minimum Bank Storage Capacity [Multi-Select POLL]

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Tahru, Feb 8, 2015.

?

Multi-select the improvements you would like to see with the new limited bank slot proposal.

Poll closed Feb 15, 2015.
  1. Raise the lower bound to a value greater than 20

36 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Lower the upper bound a value less than 1,000

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Make everyone start with the same number of bank slots

24 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Keep the current proposed bank slot allocations

18 vote(s)
    22.2%
  5. Make sure pledge rewards are NOT included in the bank slot quota initially

12 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. Make sure pledge rewards are NOT included in the bank slot quota always

35 vote(s)
    43.2%
  7. Keep pledge rewards included in the bank slot quota always

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  8. Make sure add-on store items are NOT included in the bank slot quota initially

10 vote(s)
    12.3%
  9. Make sure add-on store items are NOT included in the bank slot quota always

31 vote(s)
    38.3%
  10. Keep add-on store items included in the bank slot quota always

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  11. Enable fishing first

23 vote(s)
    28.4%
  12. Make it so the quota paid-bonuses apply only to a single bank at a time

4 vote(s)
    4.9%
  13. Make it so the quota paid-bonuses apply applies to all banks

15 vote(s)
    18.5%
  14. Ensure larger lots and houses can store more items the bigger they are

34 vote(s)
    42.0%
  15. Ensure all lots and houses can store the same amount of items

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  16. I am just along for the ride

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Will we be able to put containers with things in them in the bank slots, or just individual items?

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  2. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Really too many options here. Plus the outcome of a vote like this is that players will want more than what they have been given.

If a separate 'reward' bank was created then this would take up additional time, and let's face it why should done thing like a prosperity tool not take up bank space?

I don't believe the basic allocation should move much from 20...... Doing so would destroy a possible future income stream. If the current proposed system was to change I would like to see everyone with around 20 slots. Rewards could be handled via 'weightless' deed system that turn into the items which then have weight.

Other than that I would keep the system as is.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Currently in R14, you can't put items into a container and have it count as a single bank slot. When you get to the bank there's a message that pops up that says you have to open the container and remove all items before placing the container in the bank. However you can stack some items in the bank and have it count as a single slot.

4. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Bah! I looked over my results a number of times to ensure there were no errors that would destabilize my position. And then I forgot about the damn Row Housing! Thanks for the correction, Drocis.

For fairness's sake, the corrected numbers are $2,284,225 for Housing Backers and $1,887,910 for Non-Housing Backers, with a 9.5% majority stake to the Housing Backers. Yes, that does a fair job of destroying my attempt at letting the numbers do the talking. Sigh.

My position/opinion remain unchanged, despite not having the numbers to back me up that I thought I had.

I'd be curious to see if anyone arguing in favor of a 20-slot bank is pledged lower than the Ancestor level - because a limited bank will simply not effect anyone who's got a house from the get-go.

Those of us who have non-housing pledges will have to ensure we make our voices heard when it comes time to limit the storage in the pledge housing. I'd say 50 slots of storage/deco, regardless of house style, would be fair... Upgradeable with in-game gold, of course.

majoria70 and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No worries, Entrappedmind. I think you still have a valid argument. Which is why I believe the path to 50 from 20 bank slots should be very easy to obtain (with in-game gold) and then as you go higher and higher the requirement for in-game gold becomes more and more.

I think this would give lower level tiers an opportunity to compete where storage is important without making it too painful. But then if they really want or need a huge amount of storage after that they would have to pay proportionate amounts of gold (or buy more slots from the add-on store) to accomplish their goals.

What I'm saying is that I see no problem with 20 bank slots if it only costs you a reasonable amount of gold to get 50.

6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I was thinking more along the line of all the extra house deeds and silly vanity items that come with the pledges like the turkey call.

Moreover: not providing space for these things is like not guaranteeing a lot with the pledge.

7. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

I voted:

+Raise the lower bound to a value greater than 20 / Make everyone start with the same number of bank slots

+Make sure pledge rewards are NOT included in the bank slot quota always

+Make sure add-on store items are NOT included in the bank slot quota always

+Ensure larger lots and houses can store more items the bigger they are

Only things I will add is that I would not want the higher limits lowered and that I don't mind that the higher your pledge, the more inventory space you might have.

I mostly take exception to limiting the lower levels to the point that the public bank is not functional (without paying for expansion). Many people who had concerns about housing were told "don't worry, there will be public bank access".... to limit it to 20 is far too little. I think 100-150 is adequate for experiencing a goodly part of the game before really needing to upgrade/expand bank storage.

I personally believe more money will be made by inviting people to play the game and getting them hooked, not in making it prohibitively difficult to enjoy at the start if not coupled with cash shop purchases for bank expansions/housing/etc. Get people invested into the game world, then at the medium to upper levels, have cosmetic items (to appeal to vanity) and meaningful stuff like bank space, housing, that are still obtainable via in-game methods.

It just seems to me they are setting the bar too low with 20 spaces, and I hope they adjust it to a number that doesn't make starting players feel trapped by lack of inventory space.

Finally, the first 1-2 expansions to bank space should be relatively cheap (and offer like 50 more slots each time). Then higher expansions can be slightly expensive (but the cost mitigated a bit by only selling them in blocks of 20 or 25).

8. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

I would like to re-post my idea for bank storage here in the main forums... Will be interesting to see what debate it may spark, what figures people feel is fair and their take on possible revenue generation for Portalarium:

(bank storage has definitely proven to be a hotly debated topic so far)

* Start bank limit is increased to 50 items.

* Pledges increase the bank space by 10 items per level above adventurer. This means the top pledge will get a few hundred units of storage but still need to upgrade to max out bank capacity.

* Pledge items and other promotional items released in the future get a flag that means when they go into the bank they always wind up in a separate tab - this occurs even after an item is traded as Portalarium know how many such items will populate their databases and can cater for it. Pledge items will then not factor into storage at all, ever. This would include future gift items like easter, thanksgiving and xmas presents and veteran rewards (keeps fingers crossed as this is a new bit in my post - devs).

* All upgrades up to the 500 item mark can be bought using in-game gold but the scale will go up as you add more slots - those levels costing a LOT of gold will also have a cash purchase option, above that is cash only generating more revenue for the game - at this level only serious bank hoarders need apply.

To summarise my mental processes on these numbers (my mind is not always a stable place to visit):
    I think this way no-one is automatically maxed, getting a decent bank size is straightforward, pledge items do not factor into storage, there is another reason to upgrade pledges (and higher pledge holders still get a bonus for their generosity so far) and there are new add-on items from the store. All of this is purely an idea and would need some serious discussion to fine tune but I think it takes a little bit from all sides of the argument (from the thread this was originally posted in).

Tahru likes this.
  9. sgt pEppEr

sgt pEppEr Avatar

They could have done a number of things different/better. Each decision like this just shrinks the community because of perceptions, and will continue to hobble an already niche game.

For example:

1) Make them based on the level of your highest level in game character (ever achieved, once obtained, is locked). So you get to level 35 and they give you say 10 slots per ingame level, boom, you have 350 slots + base forever, on any other character made.

2) Give slots with add on purchases. You would give everyone a big base, then if they bought more add-on store crap, they would get the requisite bank slots to accommodate those new items so people would always have room, AND, it would put the onus on US to buy more junk to support the game instead of straight up pay more for slots == pay 2 advantage feel.

3) Add quests to get more slots. Like the Banker in XYZ town keep getting robbed, and he would like it stopped. He rewards you some slots.
    Or a another merchant in town remembers the time you saved his life from Orcs on the road, and gives you some of his bank space... etc...

I understand this is NOT pay to win, but it is advantageous to a lot of people, esp. those who wish to make money, in game, by selling crafted items. More space == more inventory you can rotate over. That is a clear advantage.

Dukes and Lords, and etc... already have giant storage houses, remove the idea of starting people out ahead of others just because they paid for it.

Otherwise, why not just start selling levels too?

You mean that "Knight" isnt really a Knight? He is just a level 1 dude, with a gigantic house for doing nothing?

Then sure, why not just sell him some levels, or start him higher level since he gave us more money?

Its not a slippery slope, its a friggin sheer cliff.

10. fattymoomooman

fattymoomooman Avatar

Actually now you mention it increasing the limit based on player level does make some sense, as the more you play the more you would require some form of storage.

Then again maybe there could be multiple paths to increase storage by varying amounts with a set cap for all?

Edit: After re-reading the post I still agree on the methods for expansion, however I am less convinced it is a major advantage for crafters who get more bank slots for the simple reason that any crafter who really wants to make money will do their best to secure an in-game house either by pledge, add-on lot, in-game lot or arranging to live in a POT just to have vendor(s) placed to sell stuff so bank storage will be less of an issue - they would likely have crafting stations and supplies in their home and run the business from there.

I think the hardest hit by any unfair bank slot allocation would be players who show no interest in housing at all and wish purely to adventure. If bank slots were say 50 to start with maybe by sacrificing the ability to own a home you could get an extra 50-100 bank slots - instead of buying a house there could be a cheaper deed, a bank storage contract usable only by players with no active house in the game? Maybe available in a choice of sizes?

Cather, Tahru and sgt pEppEr like this.
  11. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Isn't that exactly what they are doing, albeit indirectly, when they charge an increasing amount of gold for successive bank slots? They are essentially gating the slots, but in a more immersive way.

Levels are so meta... I wished levels would burn in a fire... but that's just me.

12. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Forum polls are not accurate or concise. I take no stock in these.

13. Doctor

Doctor Avatar

Hmm. I'm just going to use one of 1 of 3 of my lot deeds (considering we can have up to 3) and use that lot deed as a storage house for a select number members. This will help those who'd be struggling with storing items. I'd like to assist in any way possible even if it's providing some avatars with the chance to have a place with a couple of chests for storage.

With permissions granted on the property, it'll enable them to use it. Obviously there is the case of disloyal avatars who'll most likely try to take others possessions but hopefully they'll allow chests to have a combination lock of some sort adjusted and the item is set to "unmovable/deletable". (No cost for renting, all free).

It may be a temporary storage house considering Portalarium will most likely make changes seeing it'll overshadow the purpose of the actual banks.

Tahru likes this.
  14. Tasali

Tasali Avatar

I don't have a problem with starting out with only 20 items, per se, as long as the ingame gold cost of getting to 50 isn't extortion.

But I do have a problem with all the pledge and extra crap we get counting against that bank limit from the start. It's pretty simple... you should NEVER have to delete pledge rewards to make space. It seems to me that doing so invalidates your pledge somewhat. I mean those things are your rewards for supporting the game, no?

If the Devs are going to make pledge rewards count towards bank limits, then the bank limit needs to be higher from the get-go, IMO.

Which is why I voted that the lower end number needs to be higher AND that the pledge rewards need to always not count against storage limits.

Duke Olahorand, Tahru and Noctiflora like this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

It is not wise to read too much into any forum poll, but theere have been 34 people sampled this far which statically reasonable and the poll itself was unbiased. There are a couple of things that could be loosely gleamed form it. Note that nearly every option has a counter option, so comparisons are made using those.

Popular Improvements
    • Raise the lower bound to a value greater than 20
    • Make sure pledge rewards are NOT included in the bank slot quota
    • Make sure add-on store items are NOT included in the bank slot quota
    • Ensure larger lots and houses can store more items the bigger they are
    To close to call (because of a lack of a counter option)
    • Make everyone start with the same number of bank slots
    Very unpopular improvements
    • Keep pledge rewards included in the bank slot quota always
    • Keep add-on store items included in the bank slot quota always
    • Ensure all lots and houses can store the same amount of items
    • Make it so the quota paid-bonuses apply only to a single bank at a time
    The most important result
    • Fishing needs more attention

smack and lollie like this.
  16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

multiple votes by accounts and a very small sampling of a base of 40+ thousand accounts does not represent anything really.

17. Stryker Sparhawk

Stryker Sparhawk Avatar

This is important. There are many things that are important, but this importance is mine.

18. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I expected you to say that. I was sort of hoping you would read the first line there in green.

19. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I did :), but in a sense all this thread did was start the debate all over again that has happened in the other thread lol.

20. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Please read the OP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.