PvP Zones : The richest 1% get richer?

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Innessa Lelania, Feb 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Different genre altogether - those who want to play MOBA's are playing... Wait for it... MOBA's. And, as rune said, like Call of Duty, all the other "PVP" genres and games have their own player bases.

To be technical, we're not even talking about a MMO here, either. I can't remember the "official" name for it, but it was something like "Role-Playing Game with strong Multiplayer Elements". Or somesuch.

Tahru likes this.
  2. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

And how does any of this rely exclusively upon a specific resource being available or "boosted" in PvP zones?

Tahru likes this.
  3. Archaon the Everchosen

Archaon the Everchosen Avatar

Call of Duty is FPS and has a different audience, Moba games have rpg roots and have a much bigger shared fan base.

https://realmpop.com/us.html 10% difference according this sight between pvp and pve servers.

But I am sure you will ignore that fact that difference is still millions of pvp players that play other games. Or the fact that even on pve servers in WoW there is a lot of pvp activity because they are not purely pve and have a flagging system.

Tahru likes this.
  4. Heavy Smoker

Heavy Smoker Avatar

I can only shake my head when I see threads like this being made by the people that helped create Trammel on Ultima Online.

5. Archaon the Everchosen

Yes and a lot those moba players play wow and other mmos , it not as black and white as you seem to think.

Tahru likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This is a true story about me:
    I am a gatherer, I go out and kill mobs and farm every resource in my path. Killing mobs is usually not very profitable and cost me a great deal in terms of armor deterioration. Luckily the resources both give me purpose for being there and hopefully enough profit to sustain my activity so I can continue to hunt mobs.

That is also the story about the PVP economy, pretty much exactly how Chris put it. PvP is an expense, not a profit. The players will need gold to sustain it and as such they will contribute to the economy.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

When you go at it as a lure and solely as a lure, of course it's doomed to fail. But where does this idea that the rares abundance is to lure player that do not PvP come from?

The abundance is to address the cost of PvP. This has been stated from the beginning that PvP costs will be factored in and not ignored as it is in many MMO's. The lure is for PvPers to go to the PvP hexes. Why else would they be there when they could simply be open PvP, duel, or guild war.

The rare will help push some people into PvP, but does anyone think that people that detest PvP will ever be lured by this? No, the lure for those people is convenience. It will be a little bit of a hardship to ignore some PvP, control points, as they will need to go around or wait till the control point is under control.

The idea that rares in PvP hexes is just to lure non PvP is more of blown out of proportion situation.

The economy thread shows that these rares and the job board are in place to offset PvP cost and give a method of acquiring the rares without PvP.

Kaisa and Tahru like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That's not what Chris said, he said some 'rare' resources would be more plentiful in pvp zones and that these resources are not part of the basic resources needed. In fact he said they are not even ingame yet. I don't beleive that is true that the pvp will only get richer, they will have their own struggles to survive as will pve. We will of course get to try all this out before release, we almost always panic with new stuff, well at first.;)

** sorry edited for spelling

Kaisa, licemeat and Tahru like this.
  9. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

I'm not sure where the discussion about WoW is coming from, but you're right - according to that data, WoW is much closer to a 50% split than I would have expected - but then again, I've never played it, so I really wouldn't know what to expect the playerbase to be.

My point is, in SotA, you're not going to see anywhere close to that 50% split. You're going to have a handful of dedicated "reds" (for lack of a better term) in Shardfalls, a couple handfuls of warring guilds, and the occasional (I'm guessing here) world event that makes some PvE players choose to participate in a closed environment for story's sake.

Try again - MOBA's are rooted in RTS games, not RPG's. Considering their grand-daddy, DOTA, was a mod for Warcraft - a RTS game.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me or Nemo, but as far as I'm concerned, I already posted my PvP experience in either this or a prior thread. As I said in another post to you - Many folks who choose to avoid PvP do so because of their experience in that particular play style, not because they're afraid of you big, bad PvPers.

A good number of the upper crust MOBA players that I'm aware of, I don't think they have time to use the restroom or eat regular meals - much less play other games. ;)

steanne likes this.
  10. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

Tsk tsk!!!

majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  11. Archaon the Everchosen

Mobas got their start in Starcraft originally but really started to become popular in Dota using the warcraft 3 editor. Warcraft 3 has a lot rpg elements in it, you level characters , collect magic items ect.. and you do the same thing in Moba games.

If some players don't like pvp, that is cool doesn't bother me, but I will challenge the notion that this game will end up with a handful of pvp players. We don't have the mechanics that will make pvp interesting in place yet, I expect pvp player base to very low tell that point.

12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

There is seldom a post I don't go back and edit for spelling or a wrong word that got stuck in there. The worst is when you mean "not ..." and forget the "not" part. My phone's auto-correct feature also adds to the collection of errors. Heck, I would probably misspell "edited for spelling" if I was to add it. :)

Entrappedmind and majoria70 like this.
  13. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

In UO I played mostly on a PvP shard. With two accounts I split my playtime pretty evenly between gatherer (miner) and Anti PK PvPer. In my opinion this whole line of complaint is bunk. PvPers ARE crafters AND PvMers.

The key to making a game like this interesting is having a variety of things to do in the game. There is not a competition between different play-styles. I really don't like these posts.

14. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

On the surface, I agree with you. However, the common thread/complaint tying all this together is PvPers saying they hate PvM, but are forced to do it - therefore, PvMers should likewise be forced to deal with PvP. I'm paraphrasing a comment by either Drocis or Envy from an earlier thread, I just can't be bothered to go hunt it down at the moment for a direct quote (though I will if I have to). They feel they need the PvMers to enter PvP areas, in some twisted way to justify or substantiate their existence. And what's worse, in my opinion, is that the Devs are buying into this concept - how else to explain all this hubbub about boosted rare resource spawns in the Shardfall (PvP only) areas?

To clarify, since I haven't in my recent posts... When I mention "PvPer", 99% of the time I'm not talking about those who do it for the challenge, or those who seek out a straight up fair fight, those who PvP honorably. I'm talking about those who use PvPing as an excuse to harrass, annoy, and ruin the game experience for others. Those who add nothing to the game, and only serve to detract from it.

When it comes to honorable PvP, I'll most likely participate in my share of it. That is not the issue at hand.

15. Archaon the Everchosen

I think what the devs are thinking that there is now a very large group of mmo players that are more of in the middle of the pvp/pve divide and like to pvp on their own terms and will be willing to go into the pvp areas of the game when they chose too. Very much doubt someone who hates pvp is going to feel force into having to go into a open pvp part of the game against their will.

16. Entrappedmind

Entrappedmind Avatar

That's not an unfair outlook, and I tend to agree. However, I believe they have been misled into thinking this by a select few, and when it comes time to be put into practice, it'll all fall flat on its face. These are the same Devs (some of them, anyway) who thought the same thing back in '00, that with the right incentive, a good portion of players will risk PvP.

It didn't work then. It won't work now.

17. Pamela Eldritch

Pamela Eldritch Avatar

I dont think your points follow one-another. Two complaints on a message board mean less than nothing and the Devs have not bought into anything. There is no PvP related griefing in this game.

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

The devs have already stated they want certain areas to be PvP, and fully intend to dangle "carrots", enticing us to go there. In other words, it's part of the game design. Heck, I'm pretty sure Darkstarr or Chris just said something to that effect in their last mega-post... Individuals not wanting their day ruined on account of gankage can freely choose to not go there... Really, its such a very, very simple concept, yet much like the energizer bunny- it keeps on going, and going, and going (and going, and going...).... LOL!

licemeat likes this.
  19. OoOo lollie oOOo

OoOo lollie oOOo Avatar

The game is stacked against PVE players by putting the best and most plentiful resources in the PVP areas, where we do not want to go.

It isn't to the victors go the spoils, it's the rodents squeaking around the underskirts of the devs' dinner table that are getting the spoils.

Enjoy your free loots.

This game just became a forced PVP and forced grouping game.

This affects all of us as our property just dropped value with new players being chased away by this policy. People don't stick around in forced grouping and forced PVP games.

Morkul and Net like this.
  20. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Not really... There is no "forced" anything here, that is a point being consistently ignored. Also, with all due respect, you don't know what is going into those PvP resource nodes, because the Devs haven't made it public yet... And either way, they said there won't be anything that exclusive to PvP zones only, just more abundant... This is a difference worth noting I believe. Besides, as stated in someone's else's previous post, you still have the other 95% of Novia to farm safely. I'm sorry, maybe I'm just dense, but I'm still not seeing the rationale behind this anti-PvP zone logic crusade. A few zones sounds fair to me, but then again perhaps I am the one being unreasonable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.