Server "wipe"; scope of

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by minimal, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mycroft Holmes

Mycroft Holmes Avatar

Thank you for the warm welcome!

Ahh so it's really pointless to try to get your name this early with there still being wipes coming and such! Well I hope the gods are on my side when it comes time for picking. For now, I will just enjoy everything and try to learn as much as I can.

Thanks!

2. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thank you Minimal for asking I've yearned to learn about wipe's detail for quite some time! and welcome!

Is it true that R17 will be the last wipe?

I got the hang of gameplay just recently and kind of early waiting for R17 now...Just want a decent home near town this time..

3. Fellentier

Fellentier Avatar

Quoting for truth. When I play games in Alpha/Beta I assume that nothing I am doing has any effect, and place all of my effort into simply learning the mechanics. By spending a little more time now learning how you enjoy content, where that content is, and the most efficient ways to do it, you will leave yourself in a much better position when you actually start. I see it as a head-start to knowledge.

Nice little bonus perk to test out content and find that bugs that would make exploits harmful in the future. Nobody wants to have to see a friend get banned for misusing a bug, and nobody wants others to have an unfair advantage. This is the best time to find the bugs and remove them so that there are no issues in the future.

4. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Don't fear that your name will be taken. It must be a big coincidence and happend only once what I heard. Each name is unique. It can happen that members ahve same first name but different surnames and the other way round, but the combination is unique. Make yourself now a name so nobody has the same idea. If they see now that the name is already used they will mostly not try to use it in the future.

Arianna likes this.
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I've never had any problem using the same first/last name combo since R1, so as long as you start your chr early, and have a unique name, no one will steal it from you... If they do, you can always wait for the final wipe, before launch and take the name back...

Housing is not a problem, even now at this late date there are plots open in most all places... I even seen one in Ardoris, if there's a "town cryer" just ask them, they tell you how many there are, and pressing "p" sends up a plume of smoke so you can find them...

Any items you collected are gone, but if it's part of your pledge or purchased through the online store, you will never loose those... Your house plot will need to be claimed again, but that's it... If you get in early, you can even take the same plot again...

6. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

this.

Cannot stress enough how happy i am knowing this applies to SotA. Really can't :D

7. Max Bennis

Max Bennis Avatar

Thank you, @majoria70 for telling us promising news! I just can't help but wonder from where you get all those information? Just paying a lot of attention in the forum? It's very pleasing to see your dedication in other forum sections, too. I believe devs are thankful for what you're doing.

Keep up the good work!

Forest_Dweller and The Hendoman like this.
  8. dorkish

dorkish Avatar

would be nice if we could keep any lotz and house deeds we bought with in game gold between wipes would give me more incentive to keep playing it more often between wipes was going to get back into crafting more and spend a week or two exploring the new areas untill i learned they where wiping next release hopefully i can get back into the game then if not they doing the final wipe in landmark that will keep me bussy for a month or two:)

Mad Max likes this.
  9. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I think now that not every release is a wipe you have enough time to explore and have a house for 2 months. I bet there will be no wipe till after R19 so you have 3 releases for get everything done.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

LOL Thank you for the compliment, and perhaps since I've just been here since Nov 2013 that gives me a jumpstart . I always watch the Devs hangouts, and I do try to keep up on new information when the Devs post their walls of text, I love reading every word. ;) I've seen probably almost every interview that the team has done talking about the game. That's the thing, people will post links to interviews here and there in threads and off I go to watch them, Pretty much I've obtained what I know over time. I am also not always right about everything, but I am definitely opened to being corrected when I am wrong about something.;) And as always if someone needs help friend majoria and I am happy to chat or help however I can.:)

11. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

While speaking of names and wipes, anyone can point to an authoritative place where I can find a list of "reserved" names, so I can check if "Katrina" is not allowed?

I suspect the original Ultima names are off-limits to players. I cannot name myself Iolo, Shamino, or - incidentally - Katrina as I'd want.

Ice Queen likes this.
  12. Net

Net Avatar

I cannot name myself as N:(

Jynx, majoria70 and Arianna like this.
  13. Duke Olahorand

Duke Olahorand Localization Team

Simply try to create a new character with that name ... I think this is the only facility currently which tells you, which name is taken.

14. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

Does Katrina with Surname also not work? They can't block all Katrina of the world, but the one with only the firstname.

15. Katrina Bekers

I'm positive it's blocked regardless of the last name. I tried Katrina Bekers, Katrina Bekkers, and other variations.

In R12-14 I've been Katrine Bekers, in R15-16 I'm Katrin Bekers. I miss my "a".

No big deal, mind you. I could be called even "ehi you" and it'd be fine. But inquisitive minds, etc.

Ice Queen likes this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This would be a good question to ask at the next Dev Hangout. I for one am interested in hearing about the naming restrictions.

17. tinman_n8

tinman_n8 Avatar

Hey guys,
    I've been a small-time adventurer level backer since shortly after the announcement of the Pre-Alpha. I have a further question on this general topic, hopefully someone in the community or even a dev will know the answer. I've purchased some pledge rewards through the public vendor for in-game gold. Will those pledge rewards stay with me or revert back to their previous owners upon the wipe? Many thanks for your help, and I'm looking forward to the final release and hope this game makes a TON of money for Portalarium so they'll make more awesome games :)

Regards,
    -Madog apMorgan
    "Tinman" from UO in 1998 - Atlantic Server :)

18. Katrina Bekers

They will revert to the original owner.

A pledge reward is tied to the account.

Upon wipe, all rewards return to their tied accounts, regardless of who has bought them ingame with gold.

Once wipes are a matter of the past, it'll make sense to trade pledge rewards.

19. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

So are you talking about that perhaps you have purchased housing and decorations in the game. That is not the same as pledging for the game and supporting the game to be made since we are in the fund raising times to get the game developed. So if you buy items in game at this time, they will be wiped. We all start over except for things that are account bound because we have bought them with real money. If someone gave you a house to use and try out in game it will revert back to their account at the wipe. I hope that helps and please if you need help at the wipe to get what you need I am always glad to help if I can. I'm majoria in the game.**cheers**

20. Katrina Bekers

My wording may have been misleading.

Mind you, it makes sense even now: you may use your ingame gold to try something new (a new home, a larger lot deed, some hat you missed from previous R's, Founder era equipment, etc.), knowing that when R17 hits and wipes everything, you will lose your hat and prosperity tools, and the seller will lose the money you gave him/her! :)

But in the meanwhile, you hopped around New Britannia with a flashy hat, strutting your stuff and looking cool! ;)

Duke Olahorand likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.