Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Outdoor Storage (Lawns)

Discussion in 'Release 17 Feedback' started by Poor game design, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    This thread sounds like it should be a PoT option to me. Judging and forcing things on other players who think a bit differently cannot lead to anything good.

2. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Some things do need to be on your lawn for realism. I doubt I'll have a smelting station or a forge inside puking out toxic fumes. Naturally I'll stick a tent over these things because the rain would ruin the precision of a dedicated crafter.

We need bigger green and blue tents. The poles get in the way.

FrostII, iansmellios and steanne like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I understood the proposal was not to limit what people place in their yards. But to give individual players a choice of what they see or not see. The items would still be there to see, if you so chose to in your personal settings to see them. There is no restriction, except what you set for yourself.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

As I understood the suggestion, you could always choose to see everything. But you could also choose to not see things that the community, on whole, rated as poor. It would be up to you to set your viewing preference. Just like the game will allow you to view other players you want to see or not see in selective multiplayer.

5. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Options are great. Personally I would opt to show all to see the world in its natural state, and not miss anything interesting. But I don't see how people could object to an optional system, since there's a solution for everyone.

iansmellios and Jynx like this.
  6. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I think you should be allowed to "like" but not "dislike" or hide. Everyone has their own view of expression and they paid to play this game. They want the right to express themselves. When you automatically hide things because people "disliked" them you're removing their chance to have their expressions... expressed... so. I vote no on this.

I do like the leaderboard and voting system but I think it should be kept at a non-hurtful voting level. Just my thought.

7. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

I agree on a better solution. Have things FUNCTIONAL in a home and DECORATIONAL outside of a home. So: that crafting table only works if it's on a non dirt/grass surface. This also incorporates people's patios into more than just aesthetics. Then, if people want one outside for decorative purposes they still can but it discourages the no-home lot craze we've been seeing lately.

8. Matterio

Matterio Avatar

Someone will always get their feelings hurt. I don't see how this can be avoided if there is imposed control of peoples yards. Some people like having their interior decor on their front lawn.

9. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

That's why I voted no... sandbox=sandbox :)

10. Matterio

Matterio Avatar

I'm also part red neck, so I have to think about the little people! :)

11. smack

smack Avatar

I don't like the way some avatars dress either. Can we have a leaderboard and voting system to hide ugly (define that, please) players too?

In fact, I don't like the way some avatars talk. Can we have a leaderboard and voting system to only allow well-spoken (define that, please) players to speak too?

This is all sorts of wrong, and you know it.

However, I understand the intent and I do like the idea of voting and leaderboards but only to promote well decorated homes. Just like we have Player Books to spotlight player events, we can have a similar Better Homes & Gardens book to highlight well decorated homes that the community has voted upon?

There is simply no need to censor in a sandbox game that is so heavily reliant upon its community for content, and this is the path we're headed down.

But regarding weathering effects, I support that (and have asked for similar features previously), but not for the reasons in the OP, but only for the reasons Chris mentioned, which is to support the crafting system.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Ok so voting yes on a new system is still seeming too much like a compromise where self expression is being limited. I'm hoping when the game is launched people will have more to do than critique each others self expression. Already compromise was given when the stacking limits came on. How much more needs to go? I think it is a bad mistake to do this to our game. I believe will ultimately be harmful to our game and the game premise. So many came to this game to have more freedom than in other games. The limit gurus need to give it a rest on this topic. So much thought has been given to not hand holding so that this game will have awesome role play abilities possible and challenges. How much time and resources needs to go into a feature to protect others who spend time running from house to house to see who is not behaving in decoration protocol. Please give me a break.

**edited**

Acred, Aimend, argyle and 5 others like this.
  13. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

*giggles* I don't like the way EVERYONE wears clothes...Can we have a leader board for the longest streaker?

Budner and smack like this.
  14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Putting the thread topic aside for a moment, yes, I do. Its not all about aesthetics. First, like Drocis said, putting things outside would cause them to be damaged by weather. Wood items placed outside would rot over time and iron items would rust. Weather proofing back in the 13th century would have been more expensive and less effective; modern techniques are due to industrial processes only invented in the 19th century. Wind would also blow things away. Second, placing things outside would lead them to be easily stolen, and the more poor people around, the more risk there would be for things to be stolen. Cities were rife with swindlers and thieves.

So, all in all, if things outside don't get weather damaged or stolen, it is less immersive. Its why a while back I suggested that certain items could only be placed outside temporarily (while people were still present in the lot + some extended period of time afterwards) and not over long term periods. Its fine if in this case people decide immersion here is less important than freedom, but I think the point about immersion isn't really disputable.

iansmellios likes this.
  15. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

The leaderboard is a good idea though hardly should be a priority. The idea of hiding the decorations of one house while showing the decorations of another is simply a bad idea. It really takes away from the idea that a player with a house can make an impact in the world and truly be apart of it...whether good or bad. Either treat all houses the same or not bother with the idea, otherwise the whole premise of location based persistent housing that is limited and apart of the virtual world is deteriorated and devalues the whole concept.

16. smack

smack Avatar

Right, it should be self-censorship. We already have the ability to globally cull interior decorations. Now just add the option for every player to individually cull both interior and exterior decorations for those that he personally doesn't want to see. That's all this should ever be...a personal decision to filter out the world he wants to close his eyes to.

Acred and iansmellios like this.
  17. smack

smack Avatar

This is one of the "hidden" Steam achievements...

iansmellios likes this.
  18. iansmellios

iansmellios Avatar

Also what happens when the poor guy finally makes it big and makes their house super lavish with all the fine amenities? No since you decided to block her/his house you will never get to see all of that goodness....just a blank ugly lot...so you are in essence ruining the immersion for yourself.

19. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

I have the disagree. You are basically going down to the idea that you just want instance based housing that no one cares about and makes no impact in the actual virtual world. If that is the road that Portalarium wants to continue down then there is a lot of people paid good money for the original housing concept that will feel burned.

20. Violation Clauth

Violation Clauth Avatar

#GaspAtOffTopicPost
    I think it's funny how Matterio is the most politically correct Avatar. @RichardGarriott you need to watch out... he's winning the hearts of the subjects, providing them tools, and even wearing the chaos and virtue emblem together... it's like... the perfect SotA political platform for president... will Matterio be the first President in New Britannia?!?

Acred, Matterio and iansmellios like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.