1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SPOILER: Virtue Quest Reward status

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I understand this is alpha. This is why my suggestion was also meant as a more general solution for screw ups that impact people's loot somehow. I know many games where things just did happen even after release.

Lord-Galiwyn and 4EverLost like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

It's bound to happen again. They're human, after all. So, yes, it might be funny to have a "book of ill-gotten gains" with the details of said mishap. :D I'd collect it.

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Well, I'm not giving those statues back. They're going to have to take them from me.
    [​IMG]

Portia, Rhudaur, Ice Queen and 12 others like this.
  4. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Before or after your beard catches fire?

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

No disrespect good sir, but I would hope for a little more depth in these quests. When I thought it was a grand tour it made sense. But now I know it's not, there are several questions that could be asked and answered to make it a lot better...

1) Why were these books lost?
    2) Why are there no clues as to their whereabouts? (probable answer: there should be)
    3) Why haven't the students or others been looking for them?
    4) Why are the books so valuable?
    5) Is it too coincidental that each student is looking for 4 books? Why do you have to ask each one what they need, doesn't the teacher know?
    6) Why should every student have a piece of the statue - are they content to earn just a piece or would they also try to be earning a full statue?
    7) Why is the statue a reward? What does it represent?
    8) Why are some books in locations without any apparent reason?
    9) How have the books outside survived the elements so well? (answer: they should be in spots where they would more likely be preserved)
    10) Why would the statue need to be assembled by someone already in the same room? Is this a throwaway step? (answer: yes)
    11) Why are the order and chaos statues so similar? Who made them and why do the teacher and chaos devotee both source them at the same place?
    12) Could the content of the books also play a role in the quest somehow?

I could go on ... :)

I'm not saying all of these have to be answered but a little depth would help it be, as you say, a great quest. Right now it's just a find object quest with a little window dressing and a throwaway assembly step.

6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I don't really keep up, but wasn't this quest just thrown in to get us to start thinking about virtues?
    Is anybody reading the books? Maybe there's something to be gained there.

smack, Caliya, 4EverLost and 2 others like this.
  7. Net

Net Avatar

13) Why does the chaos student want to burn those books?? Book should never ever be burn, it is so wrong... Why she cannot just read them or return them to me. Burning of book is pure evil in my eyes, not chaos.

I have read the books, some of them are really good, you can learn a lot about virtues in them.

8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

It was great in that it wasn't "take this from point A to point B", "kill 20 of these" or "riddle me this!"... it forced me to fully explore every inch of the world (and i do mean everywhere, when i was down to the last book i went crazy) and encouraged people to actually read the books (many of which are really well written). It also has a reward that is worth more to me than a small sum of gold or exp. I didn't say that it was a masterpiece of such magnitude that i soiled myself and wept in the presence of its radiant glory, but i still think it was pretty great. Especially for those that actually did it before everybody knew where the books were.

9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

When that happens please make sure you are filming yourself... please share... ;)

Seriously though, was the point to explore the world? That's like a welcome quest. My main point was about the story of it all, and I hope the quests, even small side quests, are well storied.

10. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

It would have been nice if the students asked questions (from a pool of questions) about the stories. A little pop quiz about the content of the books they are interested in. Then its not just about a go-fetch quest.

Hazard, Net and SeleneNoctua like this.
  11. Epicus

Epicus Avatar

12. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

13. Albus

Albus Avatar

I do think having too many things locked behind pre-alpha account bound status could be discouraging for new players once things go live, so it is good that (hopefully many?) quests at live will offer items such as these for new players to obtain. People who already completed the quest thinking it was a permanent reward (i.e., that they would have the reward when SotA goes live) have reasonable negative feeling about not having the reward they thought they did. One solution I can imagine would somehow give players who completed the quest one of the items at live, but then this solution would take work to implement which will instead be directed at further improving the game. I am not finding fault in the final decision being made from that standpoint, that coding work to make an alternate solution would take away from work towards improving the game and getting it out to release earlier rather than later.

Overall it's not a totally satisfying outcome, but again I support the team keeping focus on improving the game and making that release happen rather than being slowed extra over every glitch along the road ;)

14. Lum the Mad

Lum the Mad Developer Emeritus Dev Emeritus

This was absolutely not a "main storyline" quest. It is a side quest with a fun house decoration reward.

15. smack

smack Avatar

Thanks for clarifying that Lum. I shall now proceed to test it :)

16. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

it is a good Quest. and the rewards are excellent!

17. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

That would actually be a very nifty thing to do, it could be a book that has a story in it about how the mix-up happened and how darkstarr smited the items from the game and sent them into the future :D

Forest_Dweller and Caliya like this.
  18. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I will NOT give up my Statues...!!!

Forest_Dweller and Arianna like this.
  19. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

This Is PRE-Alpha.

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Same, I would wait for launch too and will for all the quests from now on, heh.

E n v y likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.