Marking runes and travel?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Namodias, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

What kind of a complaint is this? "ergghhh not casual enough, pls shorter coldown"?
    Back in Vanilla wow we used to travel on foot over long distances to gather with friends and do a dungeon run, nobody complained.
    You can't just fly around all the time, never ever having to travel on foot.
    Well, you actually can, that's how most people did it back in UO and how the do it in all modern mmo games.
    But that just brings us back to the UO problem "everyone is a mage, everyone gates and recalls himself 30 times/hour". Which is kinda dull.

Btw.
    If devs really allow only one character per account in SotA, that would really help avoid the problem "everyone has chars with all crafting skills, no need for any social interaction ever" I hope.

2. Owain

Owain Avatar

Moongates are still a way to traverse long distances quickly, shortening travel times, making problematic spells like Recall and Gate less necessary. If you want to effect a rendezvous with your group, meet at the closest Moongate.

3. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

Right, but what if (as often happened in UO) your group's base was a long long way from the nearest gate, and the place you were going was on an island with no moongate at all?

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance.

"OK, who's bright idea was it to locate our main base out in the middle of nowhere, anyway???"

Rendezvous at the Moongate, head to the nearest port and board ship.

Next question.

5. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

Uh. Again, another example of you placing your PVP agenda and playing preferences at the front of discussions.

You realize they can just put some sort of timer in that deals with something like:

if(OwainIsStabbingSomeone)
    {
    OwainCanRecall = false;
    }

right?

Heck, even UO stops you from just blipping away in the middle of combat.

Ultima has had ways to recall and gate travel since forever. Why blow it off now?

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

Fine. Tie it to Open PvP. If you are flagged for open PvP, or are involved in a guild war, no Recall/Gate. If you don't PvP, it won't affect you, and there will be no cheesy easy escapes for PvPers.

derek6665 (Baldrith) likes this.
  7. Seneschal

Seneschal Avatar

That's what I was suggesting a few posts up - make "normal" gates have no cooldown but not work in combat, and then there can be a separate "emergency" gate spell with a very long cooldown for use as a combat escape - or no "emergency" spell at all if it's judged too cheesy by hardcore PvPers.

8. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

How about, if you're in a combat, no recall/gate. You should be familiar with that, given your experience with UO.

Disabling it just because you're flagged for PVP is annoying. What if you're just exploring with PVP flagged and want to go back to town. You unflag, go to town, and now you have to wait to reflag because there will likely be a timer to prevent exploiting.

So then your friends want you to come out and help fight. You can't. You have to wait for a timer.

A timer that should have been tied to your current combat situation.

9. Ara

Ara Avatar

Travel a long time to get from A to B cause it is a 30 minutes walk is a worse option then recall and gate spells. Being able to get fast to where the action and friends are before it ends is way more important then reality if that is what you seek.

Running forever in games like Darkfall was one of the reasons why i quit that game.

I like the idea that recall and gate cant be used in combat, that remove the combat fleeing we saw in UO.

I created rune libraries in UO and it was alot of fun finding good spots for this and for that. It was also a place where people socialized.

There could also be recall and gate spells just for the open PvP game and others that prefer that long walk could have just that. And why i want this is not because i dont enjoy to explore slowpasted it's just cause i want an option for different scenarios. Friends in need can be one where i want to be able to go fast.

And i dont understand why it is dull to gate and recall 30 times/hour?

10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Wow.

11. Ara

Ara Avatar

I did that easily most of the times when i played UO, especially when i was bored. Why you might ask?

I searched for some PvP action and recalled to all the PvP hotspots i had in my runebooks. That usually worked out very well and i got the PvP i was searching for.

Running by foot or horse would have lowered my chance finding PvP.

So again, let players that play open PvP get access to runebooks that only work outside PvP.

Such a system would remove the PvP fleeing we saw in UO and get us that is interested in finding PvP, finding it faster.

12. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I heard Counter-Strike has some good PvP and you don't even have to look for it.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

So what your saying is that i should look for another game?

Come on, i bet you can discuss abit better then that.

14. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

You are aware that the mindset like yours is the thing that produces casual games, right?
    You want to recall and gate all the time without ever having to walk around on your own, I don't. I want to actually explore and adventure.
    Why don't you take your mindset to the extreme and just go wish for a game that is made of 5 big rooms with only doors between them - 3 duel pits and 2 cities. And just play it. You will never have to experience the tediousness of travel and getting lost in the woods in such a game.

P.S. It seems to me you are not fan of Ultima at all. You just like to fight people at will all the time and kill them, that's all.

That's why I proposed CS. Or WoW. You'd like wow, you never have to go anywhere, the Dungeon Finder and BG finder do it all for you.

Ultima Online was about emulating real life, not just battlegrounds and farming grounds like modern MMOS.
    The problem is lazy people like you who can't be bothered immersing themselves into a virtual world. Darkfall was too boring for you. UO without recalls and gates would be too boring for you also, I presume.

You sure we have anything to discuss?

15. Ara

Ara Avatar

Stop putting words in my mouth. It tastes bad. And your suggestions of games i would like is just horrible.

If you read all i wrote and not just what you prefer then you would see in one of my replies i said and i quote:

"And why i want this is not because i dont enjoy to explore slowpasted it's just cause i want an option for different scenarios. Friends in need can be one where i want to be able to go fast."

Recall or gate should be an option (out of combat) for those that want to use such transportation. If you prefer to go in a slow pace all of the time then just do that, noone forces you to use recall or gate spells. But you on the other hand want to force me to use your gamestyle and run for 30 minutes to where i wanna go. That's the difference btw you and me.

I played UO for +15 years so dont try to learn me what UO stands for.

16. Owain

Owain Avatar

The problem with being able to recall/gate while not in combat duplicates the problems gate/recall had in UO. Generally, you didn't recall and certainly didn't gate while in combat. It would be too easy to interrupt those spells to make casting them worthwhile. The problem arose when the PK would gank someone, and before pursuit could begin, the PK gates out. That is prevented if recall/gate are inhibited if your open PvP switch is set, or if you are flagged in a guild war. The same thing applies even if you haven't recently been involved in combat. If I am traveling through an area and a rival group spots me, if recall is based just on a simple timer there is nothing to prevent me from recalling out before my foes reach me. Inhibiting recall/gate entirely means that you can't evade PvP through the use of a cheesy easy escape method. You have to fight and survive, or fight and die.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  17. Ara

Ara Avatar

You could make recall or gate not working 5 minutes after you entere PvP or got flagged by another player. That way pursuit could take place and with recall in the game it would be easy for you as a PK hunter to get to the spot of the PK. Having to run would definetly give the PK time to get away.

Recall out of battle even if you had players attacking you with fast spells was not that hard since recall was a kinda fast spell. That was what most PK:s also whined about, there prey got away.

18. Owain

Owain Avatar

This still doesn't address the issue where I spot a foe, they decide they don't like the odds, and recall out before my group can get to them. Better to inhibit it entirely for PvP.

Recall was a fast spell, but not so fast that you had a good chance of succeeding if I am in your face with a fast weapon like a Katana, or a dagger if I am more intent on interrupting you while a group mate actually kills you. If you could run off screen or break line of sight, that was usually good enough, and that was why recall was a problem in UO PvP.

19. Ara

Ara Avatar

I see your point but having to run ( if the game have time consuming running) just to get to where your friends are fighting or help against PK:s then i rather prefer loosing someone that recalled out to avoid combat. Missing out on the action cause the road was to long is not how i want to play the game.

With good skills in wrestle it was easy to get away since melee characters miss but it depended on the numbers numbers you were forcing. Another way was to teleport away and just cast recall. Some in my guild was good at it and just about never died if they wanted to avoid the fight.

My guildmate won a tourney with all weapons allowed in a close arena as a mage and he killed 3 DP vanquishing +25 katana melee guys with 120 dex by using protection, wrestle stun and curing himself. He could have recalled out 100 times during those fights if he wanted too.

Im talking about UO:R.

20. Owain

Owain Avatar

That is what Moongates are for. As in everything, there are tradeoffs. You have to run a little to avoid screwing up the game design elsewhere. I think it's a reasonable tradeoff, but your milage may differ.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.